Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Spatiotemporal Epidemiological Modeler (STEM) » asia mosquito density model
asia mosquito density model [message #755996] Thu, 10 November 2011 12:39 Go to next message
Matthias Filter is currently offline Matthias FilterFriend
Hi,

I tried to use the sample model above with the new release candidate, but I could not find any mosquito during the whole simulation. Could you give me a suggestion what I did wrong?
Thanks, Matthias
Re: asia mosquito density model [message #756074 is a reply to message #755996] Thu, 10 November 2011 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Edlund is currently offline Stefan EdlundFriend
Hi Matthias,

thanks for trying out the release candidate. First, I assume you followed the instructions for the demo (http://wiki.eclipse.org/Sample_Projects_available_for_Download#.28Asia.29_Mosquito_Density_Model)? It requires downloading and adding a couple of additional projects to your STEM workspace, and also that you install the earth science data for the year 2010 from the STEM update site. One easy way to check that you have everything installed before you try running the asia mosquito demo is to open the scenario and expand down to the Asia.model. If you see an error message click on the "Details" button to check what's missing.

Also, I added some additional information to the documentation on how to calibrate the colors on the map to ensure it's not saturated. You need to change a few STEM preference settings to do this.

Regards,
/ Stefan
Re: asia mosquito density model [message #756110 is a reply to message #756074] Thu, 10 November 2011 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Stefan,

thanks for taking up my question and I can imagine, that it is hard to give advise on such a general request. So I assume that you checked that the scenario works on your machines. As I use windows7 with 64bit it might be related to that. I even exchanged the sequencer to a new one referring to a date within 2010 (as the one in the project had a date in 2011) while the earth science data were referring to 2010. But again, when I run the simulation all anopheles populations stay at 0. (And I do not have any error message when I drill down in the scenario). Any other ideas?
Matthias
Re: asia mosquito density model [message #756113 is a reply to message #756110] Fri, 11 November 2011 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see. Changing the sequencer start date does not affect the mosquito population, it's using the same earth science data (in this case 2010) no matter what the sequencer says.

Yes, we've verified that the scenario runs on our systems but unfortunately we are all using Mac OS X. I will try and see if I can find a 64 bit windows machine to run some tests on.

Are you having problems running any of the other demo scenarios available on the web site? Does the error log (Window->Other STEM->Error Log) show any errors?

Thanks,
/ Stefan

[Updated on: Fri, 11 November 2011 00:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: asia mosquito density model [message #756321 is a reply to message #756113] Fri, 11 November 2011 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Stefan,
well every now and then I get error messages (e.g. when I run Jan's FoodHumanToyModel (after a while I get a lot of "An internal error occurred during: "Finite Difference Worker 1"." messages), but not in the case of the mosquito density model.
Maybe we could arrange a skype connection on Monday, then I could show it and you could drill down to the systems settings to find out what causes the problem. BTW: would there be a way to create a feature that automatically send error messages to you including all the relevant information you need to understand what the problem is? You usually see that feature in commercial software nowadays, that at least the user has the impression, that the software company get informed on a software mistake and that they will take care for that with the next software update.

Matthias
Re: asia mosquito density model [message #756323 is a reply to message #756321] Sat, 12 November 2011 00:02 Go to previous message
Good idea giving users the option of sending us an the error when problems occur. Operating systems have it whenever an application crashes unexpectedly.

I have a solution to the problem reported by Jan in his FoodHumanToyModel, but I still need to do more testing of it. In the mean time, I suggested setting the number of concurrent workers to 1 in the preferences as a workaround.

I am still surprised your asia mosquito density model is not working. We can try and set up a Skype call Monday to investigate, I will send you an invite.

Thanks,
/ Stefan
Previous Topic:New Geospatial Platform
Next Topic:Geospatial app about the spread of Nuclear Fallout
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:03:06 GMT 2024