Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse RT (runtime) » Performance Issue(Eclipse IDE slows down after lot of working)
Performance Issue [message #755824] Wed, 09 November 2011 17:09 Go to next message
Geronimo M.H. is currently offline Geronimo M.H.Friend
Hello,

after the last indigo update I happen to note, that with time working, Eclipse becomes slower and slower until being completely unresponsive ...
Most times its ok to restart Eclipse, but it happened several times now, that I had to reboot.

First I thought - may be my fault, perhaps I forgot some dispose calls ...

... but now it happens without working on any gui projects too.

I'm running Eclipse on a decent machine with SSDs and 16Gb memory - so, from my point of view - this should not happen.
I don't have that much projects and when Eclipse becomes unsresponsive, I checked memory and wait-cycles / cpu usage - there was nothing strange. Enuf free memory and cpu-usage and wait-cycles below 10%

Any hint, how I could track the source of evil?

kind regards

Gero
Re: Performance Issue [message #755932 is a reply to message #755824] Thu, 10 November 2011 09:08 Go to previous message
Geronimo M.H. is currently offline Geronimo M.H.Friend
Some more info from the todays freeze:

It happened after about 6 hours of working. I have to admit, that I use save-actions, that reformat the code and sort the class members.
The freeze happened at popup of a little hint window and the freezed eclipse grabbed 100% cpu of one processor.

I'm running KDE on debian linux 64bit, so SWT is GTK. Today I did not start any of my own SWT-apps. I was dedicated to editing (a lot) and running (some) unit tests.

With KDE I use 4 virtual desktops and when I switch to another desktop, the little hint window from eclipse stays on top of every screen.
The rest of KDE is stil responsive, so I had to kill eclipse only.

Any hint on error location is very appreciated!

kind regards

Gero

[Updated on: Thu, 10 November 2011 09:09]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Installation plugins issue
Next Topic:Eclipse Crash Problem In Debug Mode
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:00:50 GMT 2024