Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Spatiotemporal Epidemiological Modeler (STEM) » STEM Eclipse Setup wiki(Compile instructions)
STEM Eclipse Setup wiki [message #753825] Sat, 29 October 2011 01:56 Go to next message
Paris Ambush is currently offline Paris AmbushFriend
Hi. I worked on STEM last semester to try to get it on the cloud at SJSU. I'm currently offering advice to a couple of students on how to compile STEM. I tried using the new instructions in the wiki at "wiki.eclipse.org/STEM_Eclipse_Setup" to compile STEM but there are a number of issues with the instructions:

- The wiki doesn't mention some important plugins that are needed for compilation. The ones missing from the wiki are Draw2d, BIRT, and Zest frameworks. By default, Eclipse doesn't have the URL for these and will need to be manually added. The wiki should provide this URL for these GEF frameworks: "download.eclipse.org/tools/gef/updates/releases/".

- I'm using Linux (Ubuntu 11.04) with Eclipse SDK v3.5.2 and importing using Team Project Set doesn't work for me since there is no option to input a URL as shown in the attached screenshot. So I had to use SVN to access the repository instead. Could there be another plugin needed for this method of accessing the repository to work or some other requirement?

- Apache Commons Collections and Math libraries are needed by some STEM projects and was not mentioned in the wiki. Funny thing is, projects still compile regardless but I didn't run through all the compiled projects to see if everything was alright. There were no ant errors during the build. If it's necessary for certain projects to work correctly, I think it should be in the wiki.

Paris
Re: STEM Eclipse Setup wiki [message #754301 is a reply to message #753825] Wed, 02 November 2011 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Edlund is currently offline Stefan EdlundFriend
Hi Paris,

thanks for working on STEM and your suggestions! First, I think all the libraries that are reported missing should be automatically installed into your workspace when you access the team project set in the provided URL. I'm thinking that your Eclipse SDK is somewhat old, any chance you could install Eclipse 3.7 (Indigo) instead as suggested in the guide? Alternatively (but I need to check with Matt if this works), you can try pointing your browser to http://www.eclipse.org/stem/psf.php, view and save the source in a new file and use that file in your dialog from the screenshot you attached.

Apache commons and math are needed for a new ODE solver we just implemented. It's not necessary to run the ant scripts. However, if you don't have the library installed you should see compilation errors in org.eclipse.stem.solvers.rk plugin. Either way, the team project set should take care of this.

Regards,
/ Stefan
Re: STEM Eclipse Setup wiki [message #754309 is a reply to message #754301] Wed, 02 November 2011 02:23 Go to previous message
Paris Ambush is currently offline Paris AmbushFriend
I installed Eclipse 3.7 and then tried the instructions in the wiki and everything downloaded and compiled fine and all the necessary plugins were installed. The most current version of Eclipse that's available from the Ubuntu Software Center is v3.5.2 which I though was current so that messed me up some. So I had to just install it manually. I did find out that you have to make sure you use the "new users (non-committers)" link for the Team Project Set, otherwise, it will ask for verification a bunch of times and might hang up Eclipse.

Thanks,
Paris
Previous Topic:Upcoming Presentations
Next Topic:STEM 1.2.3 Release Candidate 1 is up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:47:10 GMT 2024