Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » launching external app when plugin button is pressed
launching external app when plugin button is pressed [message #753779] Fri, 28 October 2011 17:23 Go to next message
jjsd858 is currently offline jjsd858Friend
Just getting started working with plug-in development. I would like to launch an external application programmatically when a plug-in button is pressed.

I can use the "Hello, world" example to create a plug-in that has a button and see the "run" method that's called when the button is pressed, easy enough to understand that.

I can manually use External Tools Configuration to set up and and launch an external application (executable) that sends it's output to the console window, easy enough to get that.

Now I would like to programmatically setup and launch an external application from within the buttons run method. The external app is at a known path location relative to the eclipse home directory.

Any help is appreciated.
Re: launching external app when plugin button is pressed [message #754311 is a reply to message #753779] Wed, 02 November 2011 03:00 Go to previous message
John Steele is currently offline John SteeleFriend
I would take a look at the Eclipse Launch Framework. It provides a way to hook into launch configurations, and you can take advantage of it to set up the class-path.
Previous Topic:QuickAssist for editors other than the Java Editor
Next Topic:Questions about UI/non-UI thread in an eclipse plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:33:50 GMT 2024