Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » [Xtext 2.1] What about scoping and typesystem?(Many API and behaviour changes)
[Xtext 2.1] What about scoping and typesystem? [message #753688] Fri, 28 October 2011 11:12 Go to next message
Ingo Meyer is currently offline Ingo MeyerFriend
Hi,

first: 2.1 seems to be a very big improvment. I was sucessfull in adopting most of my Xtend generator code (~ 50.000 loc) and it is now at least 50 times faster in compiling to Java. I also like the new sytax coloring in Xtend.

My project heavily depends on Xbase and reused a lot of the internal stuff.
It seems that almost everything has been changed in scoping and typesystem. My own ScopeProvider is not bound anymore by my AbstractRuntimeModule. So I added that binding manually. But more worse is that my typesystem is not bound anymore and I could not figure out why. There is something with LazyTypeArgumentContext and a TypeArgumentContextProvider.Request which gives me no chance to bind it. So where can I bind my TypeProvider?
Will there be an example available in the future which includes scoping and typing?
Any chance to get a realeasy date for 2.1?

Thanks for the GREAT work,
Ingo
Re: [Xtext 2.1] What about scoping and typesystem? [message #753693 is a reply to message #753688] Fri, 28 October 2011 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sebastian Zarnekow is currently offline Sebastian ZarnekowFriend
Hi Ingo,

the type provider does no longer use polymorphic dispatching. You have
to override type(..), typeForIdentifiable(..) or expectedType(..).

Hope that helps,
Sebastian
--
Need professional support for Eclipse Modeling?
Go visit: http://xtext.itemis.com

On 28.10.11 13:12, Ingo Meyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first: 2.1 seems to be a very big improvment. I was sucessfull in
> adopting most of my Xtend generator code (~ 50.000 loc) and it is now at
> least 50 times faster in compiling to Java. I also like the new sytax
> coloring in Xtend.
>
> My project heavily depends on Xbase and reused a lot of the internal stuff.
> It seems that almost everything has been changed in scoping and
> typesystem. My own ScopeProvider is not bound anymore by my
> AbstractRuntimeModule. So I added that binding manually. But more worse
> is that my typesystem is not bound anymore and I could not figure out
> why. There is something with LazyTypeArgumentContext and a
> TypeArgumentContextProvider.Request which gives me no chance to bind it.
> So where can I bind my TypeProvider?
> Will there be an example available in the future which includes scoping
> and typing?
> Any chance to get a realeasy date for 2.1?
>
> Thanks for the GREAT work,
> Ingo
Re: [Xtext 2.1] What about scoping and typesystem? [message #753702 is a reply to message #753693] Fri, 28 October 2011 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, that was one thing to change, quite straightforward. thanks.
I guess there will be more, so I'll come back here...
Re: [Xtext 2.1] What about scoping and typesystem? [message #753738 is a reply to message #753702] Fri, 28 October 2011 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm getting some "Type computation is not implemented for..." errors cause Xbase is not using my own TypeProvider.
In the stacktrace you see it is not used, eventhough is binded:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Type computation is not implemented for com.xxx.impl.XDateLiteralImpl@7ee19158 (value: now)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider._type(AbstractTypeProvider.java:283)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider.type(AbstractTypeProvider.java:321)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.XbaseTypeProvider.type(XbaseTypeProvider.java:190)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider$2.doComputation(AbstractTypeProvider.java:290)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider$2.doComputation(AbstractTypeProvider.java:1)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider$CyclicHandlingSupport$3.get(AbstractTypeProvider.java:623)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider$CyclicHandlingSupport$3.get(AbstractTypeProvider.java:1)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider$1.get(AbstractTypeProvider.java:158)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider$CyclicHandlingSupport.getType(AbstractTypeProvider.java:620)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider.doGetType(AbstractTypeProvider.java:346)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider.getType(AbstractTypeProvider.java:362)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.XbaseTypeProvider.getArgumentTypes(XbaseTypeProvider.java:433)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.XbaseTypeProvider$7.getArgumentTypes(XbaseTypeProvider.java:1031)
at org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.util.LazyTypeArgumentContext.doComputeNext(LazyTypeArgumentContext.java:195)
at org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.util.LazyTypeArgumentContext.computeNext(LazyTypeArgumentContext.java:166)
at org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.util.LazyTypeArgumentContext.getLowerBound(LazyTypeArgumentContext.java:111)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.linking.FeatureCallChecker._case(FeatureCallChecker.java:286)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor21.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.eclipse.xtext.util.PolymorphicDispatcher.invoke(PolymorphicDispatcher.java:291)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.linking.FeatureCallChecker.checkWithoutTypes(FeatureCallChecker.java:180)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.linking.BestMatchingJvmFeatureScope.getBestMatch(BestMatchingJvmFeatureScope.java:118)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.linking.BestMatchingJvmFeatureScope.getSingleElement(BestMatchingJvmFeatureScope.java:78)
at org.eclipse.xtext.linking.impl.DefaultLinkingService.getLinkedObjects(DefaultLinkingService.java:121)
at org.eclipse.xtext.linking.lazy.LazyLinkingResource.getEObject(LazyLinkingResource.java:175)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.resource.XbaseResource.access$0(XbaseResource.java:1)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.resource.XbaseResource$2.exec(XbaseResource.java:227)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.resource.XbaseResource$2.exec(XbaseResource.java:1)
at org.eclipse.xtext.util.OnChangeEvictingCache.execWithoutCacheClear(OnChangeEvictingCache.java:121)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.resource.XbaseResource.getEObject(XbaseResource.java:225)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.getEObject(ResourceSetImpl.java:219)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.EcoreUtil.resolve(EcoreUtil.java:203)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.EcoreUtil.resolve(EcoreUtil.java:263)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.impl.BasicEObjectImpl.eResolveProxy(BasicEObjectImpl.java:1483)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.impl.XAbstractFeatureCallImpl.getFeature(XAbstractFeatureCallImpl.java:161)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.ui.highlighting.XbaseHighlightingCalculator.computeFeatureCallHighlighting(XbaseHighlightingCalculator.java:147)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.ui.highlighting.XbaseHighlightingCalculator.searchAndHighlightElements(XbaseHighlightingCalculator.java:114)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.ui.highlighting.XbaseHighlightingCalculator.doProvideHighlightingFor(XbaseHighlightingCalculator.java:106)
at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.ui.highlighting.XbaseHighlightingCalculator.provideHighlightingFor(XbaseHighlightingCalculator.java:86)
at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.syntaxcoloring.MergingHighlightedPositionAcceptor.provideHighlightingFor(MergingHighlightedPositionAcceptor.java:51)
at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.syntaxcoloring.HighlightingReconciler.reconcilePositions(HighlightingReconciler.java:87)
at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.syntaxcoloring.HighlightingReconciler.modelChanged(HighlightingReconciler.java:275)
at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.syntaxcoloring.HighlightingReconciler$1.process(HighlightingReconciler.java:246)
at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.syntaxcoloring.HighlightingReconciler$1.process(HighlightingReconciler.java:1)
at org.eclipse.xtext.util.concurrent.IUnitOfWork$Void.exec(IUnitOfWork.java:36)
at org.eclipse.xtext.util.concurrent.AbstractReadWriteAcces.readOnly(AbstractReadWriteAcces.java:32)
at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.model.XtextDocument.readOnly(XtextDocument.java:78)
at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.syntaxcoloring.HighlightingReconciler.refresh(HighlightingReconciler.java:243)

the binding:

public Class<? extends ITypeProvider> bindITypeProvider()
{
return MyTypeProviderImpl.class;
}

The FeatureCallChecker has this line: "JvmTypeReference lowerBound = jvmFeatureDescription.getGenericTypeContext().getLowerBound(parameterType);"
which I don't understand well but it is not using any injects but just pure Xbase stuff.
Any hints on this? Do you need further infos?

Thanks a lot
Ingo

[Updated on: Sat, 29 October 2011 08:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [Xtext 2.1] What about scoping and typesystem? [message #753750 is a reply to message #753738] Fri, 28 October 2011 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ingo,

did you override type(..) in your type provider and checked with
instanceof for XDateLiteral to dispatch to your implemenation method?

I'd expect something like this in your impl:

@Override
protected JvmTypeReference type(XExpression expression, JvmTypeReference
rawExpectation, boolean rawType) {
if (expression instanceof XDateLiteral) ..
else super.type(expression, rawExpectation, rawType);
}

Regards,
Sebastian
--

On 28.10.11 16:43, Ingo Meyer wrote:
> I'm getting some "Type computation is not implemented for..." errors
> cause Xbase is not using my own TypeProvider.
> In the stacktrace you see it is not used, eventhough is binded:
>
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Type computation is not implemented
> for
> mailto:com.factoris.mdx.dsl.pim.pido.pido.impl.XDateLiteralImpl@7ee19158
> (value: now)
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider._type(AbstractTypeProvider.java:283)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider.type(AbstractTypeProvider.java:321)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.XbaseTypeProvider.type(XbaseTypeProvider.java:190)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider$2.doComputation(AbstractTypeProvider.java:290)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider$2.doComputation(AbstractTypeProvider.java:1)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider$CyclicHandlingSupport$3.get(AbstractTypeProvider.java:623)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider$CyclicHandlingSupport$3.get(AbstractTypeProvider.java:1)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider$1.get(AbstractTypeProvider.java:158)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider$CyclicHandlingSupport.getType(AbstractTypeProvider.java:620)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider.doGetType(AbstractTypeProvider.java:346)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider.getType(AbstractTypeProvider.java:362)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.XbaseTypeProvider.getArgumentTypes(XbaseTypeProvider.java:433)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.XbaseTypeProvider$7.getArgumentTypes(XbaseTypeProvider.java:1031)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.util.LazyTypeArgumentContext.doComputeNext(LazyTypeArgumentContext.java:195)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.util.LazyTypeArgumentContext.computeNext(LazyTypeArgumentContext.java:166)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.util.LazyTypeArgumentContext.getLowerBound(LazyTypeArgumentContext.java:111)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.linking.FeatureCallChecker._case(FeatureCallChecker.java:286)
>
> at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor21.invoke(Unknown Source)
> at
> sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
>
> at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.util.PolymorphicDispatcher.invoke(PolymorphicDispatcher.java:291)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.linking.FeatureCallChecker.checkWithoutTypes(FeatureCallChecker.java:180)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.linking.BestMatchingJvmFeatureScope.getBestMatch(BestMatchingJvmFeatureScope.java:118)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.linking.BestMatchingJvmFeatureScope.getSingleElement(BestMatchingJvmFeatureScope.java:78)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.linking.impl.DefaultLinkingService.getLinkedObjects(DefaultLinkingService.java:121)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.linking.lazy.LazyLinkingResource.getEObject(LazyLinkingResource.java:175)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.resource.XbaseResource.access$0(XbaseResource.java:1)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.resource.XbaseResource$2.exec(XbaseResource.java:227)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.resource.XbaseResource$2.exec(XbaseResource.java:1)
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.util.OnChangeEvictingCache.execWithoutCacheClear(OnChangeEvictingCache.java:121)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.resource.XbaseResource.getEObject(XbaseResource.java:225)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.getEObject(ResourceSetImpl.java:219)
>
> at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.EcoreUtil.resolve(EcoreUtil.java:203)
> at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.EcoreUtil.resolve(EcoreUtil.java:263)
> at
> org.eclipse.emf.ecore.impl.BasicEObjectImpl.eResolveProxy(BasicEObjectImpl.java:1483)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.impl.XAbstractFeatureCallImpl.getFeature(XAbstractFeatureCallImpl.java:161)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.ui.highlighting.XbaseHighlightingCalculator.computeFeatureCallHighlighting(XbaseHighlightingCalculator.java:147)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.ui.highlighting.XbaseHighlightingCalculator.searchAndHighlightElements(XbaseHighlightingCalculator.java:114)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.ui.highlighting.XbaseHighlightingCalculator.doProvideHighlightingFor(XbaseHighlightingCalculator.java:106)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.ui.highlighting.XbaseHighlightingCalculator.provideHighlightingFor(XbaseHighlightingCalculator.java:86)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.syntaxcoloring.MergingHighlightedPositionAcceptor.provideHighlightingFor(MergingHighlightedPositionAcceptor.java:51)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.syntaxcoloring.HighlightingReconciler.reconcilePositions(HighlightingReconciler.java:87)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.syntaxcoloring.HighlightingReconciler.modelChanged(HighlightingReconciler.java:275)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.syntaxcoloring.HighlightingReconciler$1.process(HighlightingReconciler.java:246)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.syntaxcoloring.HighlightingReconciler$1.process(HighlightingReconciler.java:1)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.util.concurrent.IUnitOfWork$Void.exec(IUnitOfWork.java:36)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.util.concurrent.AbstractReadWriteAcces.readOnly(AbstractReadWriteAcces.java:32)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.model.XtextDocument.readOnly(XtextDocument.java:78)
>
> at
> org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.syntaxcoloring.HighlightingReconciler.refresh(HighlightingReconciler.java:243)
>
>
>
> the binding:
>
> public Class<? extends ITypeProvider> bindITypeProvider()
> {
> return MyTypeProviderImpl.class;
> }
>
> The FeatureCallChecker has this line: "JvmTypeReference lowerBound =
> jvmFeatureDescription.getGenericTypeContext().getLowerBound(parameterType);"
>
> which I don't understand well but it is not using any binding but just
> pure Xbase stuff.
> Any hints on this? Do you need further infos?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Ingo
>
Re: [Xtext 2.1] What about scoping and typesystem? [message #753835 is a reply to message #753750] Sat, 29 October 2011 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes and in some cases it will call my method, but in others not.
When debugging I see it is not my TypeProvider being called:
"org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.XbaseTypeProvider(org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider)._type(org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.XExpression, org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.JvmTypeReference, boolean) line: 283"
So my assumption was that there is a new binding or something other new in 2.1 which needs a new guice binding. When I go down the stack I see it will get the TypeProvider from this line:
"org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.linking.FeatureCallChecker._case(org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.JvmOperation, org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.XBinaryOperation, org.eclipse.emf.ecore.EReference, org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.scoping.featurecalls.JvmFeatureDescription) line: 286
"
and I could not find any guice element in "getGenericTypeContext()". The TypeProvider comes from the class "JvmFeatureDescription" and I don't now where this is coming from.
So is it a new 2.1 thing? Any ideas on the binding?

Thanks,
Ingo
Re: [Xtext 2.1] What about scoping and typesystem? [message #753900 is a reply to message #753835] Sun, 30 October 2011 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ingo,

it's most likely the binding to the ITypeArgumentContextHelper which is
causing the confusion. It think the easiest way is to fix this is to
bind the XbaseTypeProvider class to your subtype in your runtime module.
Both the ITypeProvider and ITypeArgumentContextHelper are bound the the
XbaseTypeProvider by default. If your redefine the XbaseTypeProvider to
YourTypeProvider, both interfaces will use the same concrete
implementation class.

Hope that helps,
Sebastian
--

On 29.10.11 10:36, Ingo Meyer wrote:
> Yes and in some cases it will call my method, but in others not.
> When debugging I see it is not my TypeProvider being called:
> "org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.XbaseTypeProvider(org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typing.AbstractTypeProvider)._type(org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.XExpression,
> org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.JvmTypeReference, boolean) line: 283"
> So my assumption was that there is a new binding or something other new
> in 2.1 which needs a new guice binding. When I go down the stack I see
> it will get the TypeProvider from this line:
> "org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.linking.FeatureCallChecker._case(org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.JvmOperation,
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.XBinaryOperation,
> org.eclipse.emf.ecore.EReference,
> org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.scoping.featurecalls.JvmFeatureDescription)
> line: 286
> "
> and I could not find any guice element in "getGenericTypeContext()". The
> TypeProvider comes from the class "JvmFeatureDescription" and I don't
> now where this is coming from.
> So is it a new 2.1 thing? Any ideas on the binding?
>
> Thanks,
> Ingo
>
Re: [Xtext 2.1] What about scoping and typesystem? [message #754352 is a reply to message #753900] Wed, 02 November 2011 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Sebastian,

the missing binding does the trick:

/**
	 * @see http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/261225/
	 * @return
	 */
	public Class<? extends ITypeArgumentContextHelper> bindITypeArgumentContextHelper()
	{
		return MyTypeProviderImpl.class;
	}
Re: [Xtext 2.1] What about scoping and typesystem? [message #755420 is a reply to message #754352] Tue, 08 November 2011 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Thanks a lot, this solution is just what I was looking for! I have
exactly the same problems after upgrading to Xtext 2.1....

> Will there be an example available in the future which includes
> scoping and typing?

This would imho be really really helpful! Something like Jan's
(http://koehnlein.blogspot.com/2011/07/extending-xbase.html) example,
just updated for Xtext 2.1!

Regards,
Kai

P.S.: Is overriding the binding of ITypeArgumentContextHelper really the
solution or shouldn't it rather be regarded as a workaround for a bug...?
Re: [Xtext 2.1] What about scoping and typesystem? [message #755499 is a reply to message #755420] Tue, 08 November 2011 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On 08.11.11 13:39, Kai Kreuzer wrote:

> Is overriding the binding of ITypeArgumentContextHelper really the
> solution or shouldn't it rather be regarded as a workaround for a bug...?

Yes, please file a ticket.

Thanks,
Sebastian
--
Re: [Xtext 2.1] What about scoping and typesystem? [message #755725 is a reply to message #755499] Wed, 09 November 2011 11:44 Go to previous message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
> Yes, please file a ticket.

Done, here's the reference:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=363290
Previous Topic:LIBDBUSMENU-GTK-CRITICAL **: watch_submenu: assertion `GTK_IS_MENU_SHELL(menu)' failed
Next Topic:Xtext 2.1 installation problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:34:23 GMT 2024