Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Cannot import SWT Plug in (HelloWorldSWT tutorial)
Cannot import SWT Plug in (HelloWorldSWT tutorial) [message #753001] Wed, 26 October 2011 15:48 Go to next message
catenaccio451 is currently offline catenaccio451Friend
OK, first of all: I am new to everything: programming, java, and eclipse.
I downloaded the Java SKD, installed, then downloaded Eclipes Java IDE (for Win64, running in Win7-64x), "installed" it, and ran it.

First thing: tutorials. I did the "Hello World" Tutorial with no problems. Then I go to the Hello World SWT tutorial. There I found this:

The tutorial (cheat sheet) tells me to Import the SWT project. To do that, I should open the import wizard (File>Import...) and there pick Plug-in Development>Plug-ins and Fragments.

Well: there is not such an option. I tried the "Click to perform" option within the cheat sheet, but only get a "The command did not complete successfully", with this in its details:

The command did not complete successfully.
unknown wizard: org.eclipse.pde.ui.PluginImportWizard

It seems to me weird since I am just following the included tutorial, but I have not found a way to get around it (the file that I should import, org.eclipse.swt.{platform}.{os}.{arch} (for example: org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32.x86 for win32) is in a plug-in folder inside the eclipse folder (it's a .jar file). But I don't know what option I should use to successfully import it (otherwise, when I get to further steps in the tutorial, "Configure the Java project", I don't have the proper options to pick).

Thanks in advance, and I am sorry if this question is really silly.
Re: Cannot import SWT Plug in (HelloWorldSWT tutorial) [message #753364 is a reply to message #753001] Wed, 26 October 2011 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Niculai is currently offline Alexandra NiculaiFriend
I think you need to download the Eclipse for RCP and RAP developers.

P.S.: Normally your example should work but the menu "Plug-in development" doesn't exist in the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers (which I believe is the one that you downloaded), so... it doesn't work.
Re: Cannot import SWT Plug in (HelloWorldSWT tutorial) [message #753572 is a reply to message #753364] Thu, 27 October 2011 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
catenaccio451 is currently offline catenaccio451Friend
Thanks! Ok, I'll try downloading the version you recommend me!
Re: Cannot import SWT Plug in (HelloWorldSWT tutorial) [message #753978 is a reply to message #753001] Mon, 31 October 2011 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
claus  is currently offline claus Friend
Hello,

please take notice, that the SWT toolkit has to be downloaded before and that the newest IDE is a little bit different.

for more info:

www.eclipse.org/swt/

Claus
Re: Cannot import SWT Plug in (HelloWorldSWT tutorial) [message #809527 is a reply to message #753001] Wed, 29 February 2012 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rplm 1234 is currently offline rplm 1234Friend
Hello,

I had exactly the same problem and found the steps on the following page worked for me:
www.eclipsepluginsite.com/swt.html

Hope this helps.
Re: Cannot import SWT Plug in (HelloWorldSWT tutorial) [message #871627 is a reply to message #753001] Mon, 14 May 2012 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Basile is currently offline Richard BasileFriend
Help -> Install New Software

Work with: --All Available Sites--

General Purpose Tools -> Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment

[Finish]

After installing this plug-in and restarting Eclipse, you will be able to proceed with the tutorial.
Re: Cannot import SWT Plug in (HelloWorldSWT tutorial) [message #995683 is a reply to message #871627] Sun, 30 December 2012 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Devine is currently offline James DevineFriend
Thank You Richard!

Your solution solved my problem lickety split.

From the Main Menu->[Help]->"Install New Software". This launches the "Install" dialog. Click the down arrow on the "Work With" drop down box and choose "--All Available Sites--", which populates the list box right below. Find and check "Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment" - click [Next], accept the terms, etc. then [Finish]

Problem solve
Re: Cannot import SWT Plug in (HelloWorldSWT tutorial) [message #1234023 is a reply to message #995683] Tue, 21 January 2014 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rosti lucena is currently offline rosti lucenaFriend
hi
I can´t find this option, please help e

in spanish

no puedo encontrar esas opciones en el ambiente

Re: Cannot import SWT Plug in (HelloWorldSWT tutorial) [message #1710913 is a reply to message #871627] Sat, 10 October 2015 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tetyana Hubska is currently offline Tetyana HubskaFriend
Very Happy Perfect! what a wonderful tip!
I am new so this was very helpful, thanks!
Re: Cannot import SWT Plug in (HelloWorldSWT tutorial) [message #1710914 is a reply to message #753001] Sat, 10 October 2015 20:12 Go to previous message
Tetyana Hubska is currently offline Tetyana HubskaFriend
Eclipse Lunar under the Tutorials actually has steps how to create an Eclipse Plug-in. Richard's tip was awesome!
Previous Topic:Override Eclipse Command
Next Topic:FrameworkEvent ERROR for Mars
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:33:45 GMT 2024