Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » MoDisco » Modisco parsing output(can we get .ecore file generated from Modisco)
Modisco parsing output [message #752151] Wed, 26 October 2011 09:40 Go to next message
stherrien  is currently offline stherrien Friend
Hello, I'm new to modisco and i would like to know if Modisco during reverse engineering from legacy code is able to generated .ecore file? At first look Modisco seems to only produce .xmi file.

Regards,

Stephane
Re: Modisco parsing output [message #752174 is a reply to message #752151] Wed, 26 October 2011 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hugo Bruneliere is currently offline Hugo BruneliereFriend
Hello Stephane,

To answer to your question, the discoverers provided by MoDisco generate models out of legacy source code. For instance, the Java discoverer automatically produces a complete model of the code (i.e.; the XMI file you mentioned), and this model conforms to a full Java metamodel (see http://wiki.eclipse.org/MoDisco/Components/Java/Documentation/0.9 for the detailed documentation).

What do you mean by generating an Ecore file? Do you want to generate a metamodel out of the Java code?

For a quick introduction to MoDisco (and to the underlying Modeling concepts in general), I would advice you to take a look to the first presentation available from http://wiki.eclipse.org/MoDisco#Screencasts_.26_Slides.

Best regards,

Hugo

--------------------------------------------------------
Hugo Bruneliere, PhD
NaoMod team (IMT Atlantique & LS2N-CNRS)
Nantes - France
Re: Modisco parsing output [message #753117 is a reply to message #752174] Wed, 26 October 2011 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks you Hugo for the information, i look at the presentation. I wandering what are the output format (other than .xmi) when generating model from legacy code?

Best regards,

Stephane
Re: Modisco parsing output [message #753464 is a reply to message #753117] Thu, 27 October 2011 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Hugo, i forgot to answer to you question, yes i would like to generate a metamodel out of java code.

Best regards,

Stephane
Re: Modisco parsing output [message #753522 is a reply to message #753464] Thu, 27 October 2011 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hugo Bruneliere is currently offline Hugo BruneliereFriend
Hello Stephane,

XMI is the standard serialization format for models, and it is the same independently from the metamodels the models conform to (e.g.; the Java one, the UML2 one or any other metamodel).
Even if the extension name may change, there are still XMI files (I invite you to open them in a textual editor to realize this).

I think there is a confusion when you talk about generating a metamodel (i.e. a Ecore file, which is also a XMI file but with a specific extension name) from your Java code.
A metamodel describes the viewpoint from which your want to model a given system, not the view on this system (which is represented as a model that conforms to this metamodel).
So which viewpoint do you want to consider?
You can model the global architecture of the system, its detailed structure, the internal of its implementation, its provided features, its business or domain, etc.
Once you will have chosen/define this viewpoint, and so the correponding metamodel (i.e. Ecore file), you will be able to produce models (XMI files) that conforms to this metamodel and actually represent your required view of the system.
In order to do this, MoDisco provides some basic bricks that will help you to start and chain the various steps of your process.

Best regards,

Hugo

Hugo Bruneliere, PhD
NaoMod team (IMT Atlantique & LS2N-CNRS)
Nantes - France
Re: Modisco parsing output [message #753703 is a reply to message #753522] Fri, 28 October 2011 12:28 Go to previous message
Thanks you very much Hugo, now i have a better understanding over the XMI. Since the beginning i had tough that i could create an new EMF empty project in Eclipse and import model discovered by Modiso from an existing java source code application, but now i don't think it will work this way.

Best regards,

Stephane
Previous Topic:Feature request:: Listener to InventoryModel creation
Next Topic:MoDisco at EclipseCon Europe 2011...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 09:00:02 GMT 2024