Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Documentation on WTP Runtime framework?
Documentation on WTP Runtime framework? [message #748673] Mon, 24 October 2011 20:49 Go to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott LewisFriend
Hi,

I would like to find documentation (and/or examples) on using the WTP Runtime framework (i.e. creating new runtimes, being notified about incremental build changes, using/reusing the Servers view and the rest of the wtp runtime UI, extension points with usage examples, etc). Are there good articles? I see that the WTP eclipse series book [1] has some chapters on the runtime framework...and will probably get it...but would like other resources if possible.

Thanks for any information and/or pointers.

Scott

[1] http://www.eclipsewtp.org/
Re: Documentation on WTP Runtime framework? [message #748866 is a reply to message #748673] Mon, 24 October 2011 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
I don't believe there is a single document that describes the entirety of Server Tools API. There are some articles and the book, but they will be rather dated at this point. For instance, the manner in which you extend the Servers View is now completely different as it is based on the Common Navigator framework as of release or so ago.

Fortunately, this is one area that has plenty of examples to go by. I would recommend looking at the Tomcat adapter first. Another good and more complex example is the JBoss adapter. You will have to get the source code for that one from the JBoss IDE project.

Hope this helps.

- Konstantin
Re: Documentation on WTP Runtime framework? [message #748953 is a reply to message #748866] Tue, 25 October 2011 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Konstantin.

I hope it helps too Smile. I'll check out the current Tomcat and JBoss adapter source.

Scott

Re: Documentation on WTP Runtime framework? [message #749308 is a reply to message #748673] Tue, 25 October 2011 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kaloyan Raev is currently offline Kaloyan RaevFriend
There are some documents on this page: http://eclipse.org/webtools/server/server.php

Perhaps not up-to-date, but still very helpful.
Re: Documentation on WTP Runtime framework? [message #750022 is a reply to message #748866] Tue, 25 October 2011 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Konstantin,

Thanks for the info and pointers. I'm trying to track down the Tomcat adapter...the git repos for webtools seem to be just the incubation projects...is that right? If so, where is the latest of wtp itself? Is it still CVS (which is what seems to be the case from the webpage).

Thanks,

Scott

Re: Documentation on WTP Runtime framework? [message #750116 is a reply to message #750022] Tue, 25 October 2011 16:37 Go to previous message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry IsaacsFriend
On 10/25/2011 11:30 AM, Scott Lewis wrote:
> Hi Konstantin,
>
> Thanks for the info and pointers. I'm trying to track down the Tomcat
> adapter...the git repos for webtools seem to be just the incubation
> projects...is that right? If so, where is the latest of wtp itself? Is
> it still CVS (which is what seems to be the case from the webpage).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
>
>

The WTP repository is still CVS, but there are git mirrors for it and
others which can be viewed with "http://dev.eclipse.org/git/".

Cheers,
Larry
Previous Topic:Error when launching debugger from Eclipse
Next Topic:Control published files and folders in app classes folder in wtpwebapps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:31:05 GMT 2024