Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » SEQUENCE table / row lock issue
icon5.gif  SEQUENCE table / row lock issue [message #748493] Mon, 24 October 2011 18:18 Go to next message
pop prem is currently offline pop premFriend
Hi All,

I'm using Spring transactions with eclipselink in tomcat, mysql enviornment.

I was getting lock timeout issues always when testing my web application and i was looking for issues with Spring transactions with eclipselink, but finally got my doubt cleared with the log statements.

I'm using ID generation type AUTO.
 @Id
 @Column(name = "some_id", unique = true, nullable = false)
 @GeneratedValue(strategy = GenerationType.AUTO)
 private Long id;

I can see that a tabled named SEQUENCE is created and it has only a value which is updated by all transactions. Seems like the lock is happening here.

Internal Exception: java.sql.SQLException: Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction
Error Code: 1205
Call: UPDATE SEQUENCE SET SEQ_COUNT = SEQ_COUNT + ? WHERE SEQ_NAME = ?
       bind => [50, SEQ_GEN]
Query: DataModifyQuery(name="SEQUENCE" sql="UPDATE SEQUENCE SET SEQ_COUNT = SEQ_COUNT + ? WHERE SEQ_NAME = ?")]       

How can i solve this issue?? Any advices are much appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: SEQUENCE table / row lock issue [message #748514 is a reply to message #748493] Mon, 24 October 2011 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Sutherland is currently offline James SutherlandFriend

You can increase your sequence pre-allocation size to reduce the contention on the sequence table. You can also have each of your classes use a different sequence name, or even different sequence table (to prevent page locks).

Are you getting a deadlock, or just contention?

Ensure that you are using a sequence connection pool so that sequence values are allocated outside of the current transaction.
Are you using JTA? if so ensure you also set a nonJtaDataSource

See,
http://www.eclipse.org/eclipselink/api/2.3/org/eclipse/persistence/config/PersistenceUnitProperties.html#CONNECTION_POOL_SEQUENCE

James : Wiki : Book : Blog : Twitter
Re: SEQUENCE table / row lock issue [message #748533 is a reply to message #748514] Mon, 24 October 2011 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply James.

We are not using JTA. And also this doesn't seems to be a deadlock.

Quote:

You can increase your sequence pre-allocation size to reduce the contention on the sequence table. You can also have each of your classes use a different sequence name, or even different sequence table (to prevent page locks).

- Great, we will try both these solutions.

Quote:

Ensure that you are using a sequence connection pool so that sequence values are allocated outside of the current transaction.

- Can you please provide me an example on this???

I have added spring, eclipselink configurations used below:

Persistence.xml:
 <persistence-unit name="xxxxService" transaction-type="RESOURCE_LOCAL">
    <provider>org.eclipse.persistence.jpa.PersistenceProvider</provider>
    <class>...</class>
    <class>...</class>
    <class>...</class>
    <properties> .... </properties>
   </persistence-unit> 

Spring-beans.xml
                 <bean id="jpaDialect" class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.vendor.EclipseLinkJpaDialect" />

<bean class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.JpaTransactionManager"
			id="transactionManager">
			<property name="entityManagerFactory" ref="entityManagerFactory" />
			<property name="jpaDialect" ref="jpaDialect" />
		</bean>
		<bean id="jpaVendorAdapter"
			class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.vendor.EclipseLinkJpaVendorAdapter">
			<property name="showSql" value="true" />
			<property name="generateDdl" value="true" />
		<property name="databasePlatform" value="org.eclipse.persistence.platform.database.MySQLPlatform" />
		</bean>
		<bean
			class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.LocalEntityManagerFactoryBean"
			id="entityManagerFactory">
			<property name="jpaVendorAdapter" ref="jpaVendorAdapter" />
			<property name="persistenceUnitName" value="xxxxService" />
		</bean>		

<tx:annotation-driven transaction-manager="transactionManager" />

<bean class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.support.PersistenceAnnotationBeanPostProcessor"/>

Java class:
         @Transactional
	public void saveSumthg(Sumthg sumthg) throws Exception{
		someDAO.saveSumthg(sumthg);
	}

@Transactional(propagation = Propagation.SUPPORTS, readOnly = true)
	public List<Sumthg> findActiveSumthgs(String username) {
		List<Sumthg> sumthgs = someDAO.findActiveSumthgs(username);
		return sumthgs ;
	}

Re: SEQUENCE table / row lock issue [message #748538 is a reply to message #748514] Mon, 24 October 2011 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply James.

We are not using JTA. And also this doesn't seems to be a deadlock.

Quote:
> You can increase your sequence pre-allocation size to reduce the contention on the sequence table. You can also have each of your classes use a different sequence name, or even different sequence table (to prevent page locks).

- Great, we will try both these solutions.

Quote:
> Ensure that you are using a sequence connection pool so that sequence values are allocated outside of the current transaction.

- Can you please provide me an example on this???

I have added spring, eclipselink configurations used below:

Persistence.xml:

<persistence-unit name="xxxxService" transaction-type="RESOURCE_LOCAL">
<class>...</class>
<class>...</class>
<class>...</class>
<properties> .... </properties>
</persistence-unit>

Spring-beans.xml

<bean id="jpaDialect" class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.vendor.EclipseLinkJpaDialect" />

<bean class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.JpaTransactionManager"
id="transactionManager">
<property name="entityManagerFactory" ref="entityManagerFactory" />
</bean>
<bean id="jpaVendorAdapter"
class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.vendor.EclipseLinkJpaVendorAdapter">
<property name="showSql" value="true" />
<property name="generateDdl" value="true" />
<property name="databasePlatform" value="org.eclipse.persistence.platform.database.MySQLPlatform" />
</bean>
<bean
class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.LocalEntityManagerFactoryBean"
id="entityManagerFactory">
<property name="jpaVendorAdapter" ref="jpaVendorAdapter" />
<property name="persistenceUnitName" value="xxxxService" />
</bean>

<tx:annotation-driven transaction-manager="transactionManager" />

<bean class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.support.PersistenceAnnotationBeanPostProcessor"/>

Java class:

@Transactional
public void saveSumthg(Sumthg sumthg) throws Exception{
someDAO.saveSumthg(sumthg);
}

@Transactional(propagation = Propagation.SUPPORTS, readOnly = true)
public List<Sumthg> findActiveSumthgs(String username) {
List<Sumthg> sumthgs = someDAO.findActiveSumthgs(username);
return sumthgs ;
}
Re: SEQUENCE table / row lock issue [message #753519 is a reply to message #748533] Thu, 27 October 2011 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

By default EclipseLink will allocate sequence ids in the current database transaction. If EclipseLink has not yet started a database transaction, then it will start a separate transaction for sequencing (and no locks will be held). EclipseLink does not start the database transaction when you start the JPA transaction, it deferrs it until it has to, so sequencing is normally non locking. If however you call flush() or triggered a flush() from a query, or executed SQL or update JPQL queries, then the database transaction will be started, and sequences acquired after this will hold locks.

You can avoid this be configuring a sequence connection pool, then EclipseLink will use a connection from this pool for sequencing, and never the active transaction.

You can configure a separate connection pool to be used by sequencing using the "eclipselink.connection-pool.sequence.nonJtaDataSource", etc. properties.

See,
http://www.eclipse.org/eclipselink/api/2.3/org/eclipse/persistence/config/PersistenceUnitProperties.html#CONNECTION_POOL_SEQUENCE

Re: SEQUENCE table / row lock issue [message #753521 is a reply to message #748533] Thu, 27 October 2011 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James is currently offline JamesFriend
By default EclipseLink will allocate sequence ids in the current database transaction. If EclipseLink has not yet started a database transaction, then it will start a separate transaction for sequencing (and no locks will be held). EclipseLink does not start the database transaction when you start the JPA transaction, it deferrs it until it has to, so sequencing is normally non locking. If however you call flush() or triggered a flush() from a query, or executed SQL or update JPQL queries, then the database transaction will be started, and sequences acquired after this will hold locks.

You can avoid this be configuring a sequence connection pool, then EclipseLink will use a connection from this pool for sequencing, and never the active transaction.

You can configure a separate connection pool to be used by sequencing using the "eclipselink.connection-pool.sequence.nonJtaDataSource", etc. properties.

See,
--
James : http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink : http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Java_Persistence : http://java-persistence-performance.blogspot.com/
Re: SEQUENCE table / row lock issue [message #755217 is a reply to message #753519] Mon, 07 November 2011 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Luca Graf is currently offline Luca GrafFriend
I am facing a similiar issue. Sequence allocation can cause deadlock's on application level when nested (ejb) transactions are used.
I tried to setup a seperate connection-pool for sequence allocation like desribed in the JavaDoc.

persistent.xml
<jta-data-source>jdbc/project</jta-data-source>
<properties>
   <property name="eclipselink.connection-pool.sequence.nonJtaDataSource" value="jdbc/project-sequencing"/>
</properties>

The configured datasource name points to a seperate connection pool defined in the application server (glassfish-3.1.1).
But it seems that the datasource will not be used for sequence allocation. Also if the datasource name is changed to a non exiting one, the application runs without error (application run into deadlock).

Is there futher configuration neccessary for system pools?
Can someone provide a configuration example configuration or point me to the right direction?

Greetings Luca
Re: SEQUENCE table / row lock issue [message #755241 is a reply to message #755217] Mon, 07 November 2011 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Your property looks correct, what version of EclipseLink are you using? This property is only support on later versions.

You could also try setting the sequence connection pool through a SessionCustomizer in code.

Re: SEQUENCE table / row lock issue [message #755244 is a reply to message #755217] Mon, 07 November 2011 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James is currently offline JamesFriend
Your property looks correct, what version of EclipseLink are you using? This property is only support on later versions.

You could also try setting the sequence connection pool through a SessionCustomizer in code.

--
James : http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink : http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Java_Persistence : http://java-persistence-performance.blogspot.com/
Re: SEQUENCE table / row lock issue [message #756370 is a reply to message #755241] Sat, 12 November 2011 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Luca Graf is currently offline Luca GrafFriend
Hi James,

i use the eclipselink version bundled with glassfish-3.1.1 (2.3.0.v20110604-r9504).

I have done some futher debuging and it seem's that the SequenceManager uses the wrong allocation strategy (Preallocation_Transaction_NoAccessor_State) also if a sequence connection pool is configured in persistence.xml. The Preallocation_Transaction_NoAccessor_State strategy not use seperate connections for sequence allocation, also it use locks that seems to be the cause for the deadlock.

I have created an issue with a more detailed description and a proposed patch.
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=363643

Greetings Luca

P.S. It seems that the old-style (deprecated as of EclipseLink 2.2) configuration 'eclipselink.jdbc.sequence-connection-pool.*' is not affected and can be used as workaround.

[Updated on: Sat, 12 November 2011 13:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SEQUENCE table / row lock issue [message #1478467 is a reply to message #748493] Tue, 18 November 2014 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nuno Godinho de Matos is currently offline Nuno Godinho de MatosFriend
Hi,

I must say I am experiencing exactly the same issue with eclipselink 2.3.2,

Of glassfish 3.2.5.

Essentially, when using eclipselink and setting into the persistence XML:
<property name="eclipselink.jdbc.sequence-connection-pool" value="true" />

The code runs perfectly. All entities share the same ID_GEN table.
I can set any given entity to have the tablegenerator annotation configured with a property such as allocationSize = 3, forcing eclipse link to be all the time looking my ID_GEN table all the time. I get no dead locks.

I can setup my derby to have very intense logging, and I can see that eclipse link is doing just what I want it to:

Tue Nov 18 18:44:03 CET 2014 Thread[p: thread-pool-1; w: 5,5,grizzly-kernel] (XID = 1677442), (SESSIONID = 139), (DATABASE = MYDB), (DRDAID = null), Executing prepared statement: UPDATE ID_GEN SET SEQ_VALUE = SEQ_VALUE + ? WHERE SEQ_NAME = ? :End prepared statement with 2 parameters begin parameter #1: 3 :end parameter begin parameter #2: MyEntityLog_Gen :end parameter
Tue Nov 18 18:44:03 CET 2014 Thread[p: thread-pool-1; w: 5,5,grizzly-kernel] (XID = 1677442), (SESSIONID = 139), (DATABASE = MYDB), (DRDAID = null), Executing prepared statement: SELECT SEQ_VALUE FROM ID_GEN WHERE SEQ_NAME = ? :End prepared statement with 1 parameters begin parameter #1: MyEntityLog_Gen :end parameter
Tue Nov 18 18:44:03 CET 2014 Thread[p: thread-pool-1; w: 5,5,grizzly-kernel] (XID = 1677442), (SESSIONID = 139), (DATABASE = MYDB), (DRDAID = null), Committing

It flows just perfectly.
I pump thousands of messages into a system test, and no dead lock whatsoeve.
The one problem with this deprecated setting, is that Oracle weblogic, unlike glassfish, just does not swallow it.
It will complain that a COMMIT cannot be issued under a container managed transaction.

Going back to glassfish, if I try to run the exact same system test, but I modify my persitence xml to have the following properties:
<jta-data-source>jdbc/DERBY_DS</jta-data-source>
<non-jta-data-source>jdbc/DERBY_SEQUENCING_NON_JTA</non-jta-data-source>

<property name="eclipselink.connection-pool.sequence.nonJtaDataSource" value="jdbc/DERBY_SEQUENCING_NON_JTA" />
or
<property name="eclipselink.jdbc.sequence-connection-pool.nonJtaDataSource" value="jdbc/DERBY_SEQUENCING_NON_JTA" />

or both of the above at the same time.

Then ... well, a disaster.

I can clearly see in my Derby Log that the transactions that are part of the main business logic have within them the calls to the UPDATE ID_GEN table.
And of course, it is a massacre of dead locks.

It looks like the nonJtaDataSource configuration property does nothing at all. The non JTA data source in glassfish corresponding to the JNDI name in the persistence.xml has the Non Transactional Connections: set to true.

In weblogic 12c, even with the bundled eclipse link, it is the same disaster.

Example of a derby dead lock when the NON JTA is in the persistence.xml (it is clear by the derby statement log that the UPDATE gens are part of the busines slogic transaction).
Such as:
ERROR 40XL1: A lock could not be obtained within the time requested. The lockTable dump is:
Tue Nov 18 18:26:32 CET 2014
XID |TYPE |MODE|LOCKCOUNT|LOCKNAME |STATE|TABLETYPE / LOCKOBJ |INDEXNAME / CONTAINER_ID / (MODE for LATCH only) |TABLENAME / CONGLOM_ID |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** The following row is the victim ***
1675613 |ROW |X |0 |(1,14) |WAIT |T |NULL |ID_GEN |
*** The above row is the victim ***
1675610 |ROW |X |3 |(1,14) |GRANT|T |NULL |ID_GEN |
1675610 |TABLE |IX |2 |Tablelock |GRANT|T |NULL |ID_GEN |
1675613 |TABLE |IX |2 |Tablelock |GRANT|T |NULL |ID_GEN |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.services.locks.Timeout.createException(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.services.locks.Timeout.buildException(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.services.locks.ConcurrentLockSet.lockObject(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.services.locks.AbstractPool.lockObject(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.services.locks.ConcurrentPool.lockObject(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.RowLocking3.lockRecordForWrite(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.heap.HeapController.lockRow(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.heap.HeapController.lockRow(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.index.B2IRowLocking3.lockRowOnPage(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.index.B2IRowLocking3._lockScanRow(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.index.B2IRowLockingRR.lockScanRow(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.BTreeForwardScan.fetchRows(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.BTreeScan.fetchNext(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.TableScanResultSet.loopControl(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.TableScanResultSet.getNextRowCore(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.IndexRowToBaseRowResultSet.getNextRowCore(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.ProjectRestrictResultSet.getNextRowCore(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.NormalizeResultSet.getNextRowCore(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.DMLWriteResultSet.getNextRowCore(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.UpdateResultSet.getNextRowCore(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.UpdateResultSet.collectAffectedRows(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.UpdateResultSet.open(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.executeStmt(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.executeStatement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.executeStatement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.executeLargeUpdate(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.derby.iapi.jdbc.BrokeredPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.gjc.spi.base.PreparedStatementWrapper.executeUpdate(PreparedStatementWrapper.java:125)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.databaseaccess.DatabaseAccessor.executeDirectNoSelect(DatabaseAccessor.java:831)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.databaseaccess.DatabaseAccessor.executeNoSelect(DatabaseAccessor.java:906)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.databaseaccess.DatabaseAccessor.basicExecuteCall(DatabaseAccessor.java:592)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.databaseaccess.DatabaseAccessor.executeCall(DatabaseAccessor.java:535)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.AbstractSession.basicExecuteCall(AbstractSession.java:1717)
at org.eclipse.persistence.sessions.server.ClientSession.executeCall(ClientSession.java:253)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.queries.DatasourceCallQueryMechanism.executeCall(DatasourceCallQueryMechanism.java:207)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.queries.DatasourceCallQueryMechanism.executeCall(DatasourceCallQueryMechanism.java:193)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.queries.DatasourceCallQueryMechanism.executeNoSelectCall(DatasourceCallQueryMechanism.java:236)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.queries.DatasourceCallQueryMechanism.executeNoSelect(DatasourceCallQueryMechanism.java:216)
at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.DataModifyQuery.executeDatabaseQuery(DataModifyQuery.java:85)
at org.eclipse.persistence.queries.DatabaseQuery.execute(DatabaseQuery.java:844)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.AbstractSession.internalExecuteQuery(AbstractSession.java:2831)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.AbstractSession.executeQuery(AbstractSession.java:1516)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.AbstractSession.executeQuery(AbstractSession.java:1498)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.AbstractSession.executeQuery(AbstractSession.java:1463)
at org.eclipse.persistence.sequencing.QuerySequence.update(QuerySequence.java:340)
at org.eclipse.persistence.sequencing.QuerySequence.updateAndSelectSequence(QuerySequence.java:277)
at org.eclipse.persistence.sequencing.StandardSequence.getGeneratedVector(StandardSequence.java:71)
at org.eclipse.persistence.sequencing.Sequence.getGeneratedVector(Sequence.java:257)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sequencing.SequencingManager$Preallocation_Transaction_NoAccessor_State.getNextValue(SequencingManager.java:468)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sequencing.SequencingManager.getNextValue(SequencingManager.java:1067)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sequencing.ClientSessionSequencing.getNextValue(ClientSessionSequencing.java:70)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.descriptors.ObjectBuilder.assignSequenceNumber(ObjectBuilder.java:349)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.descriptors.ObjectBuilder.assignSequenceNumber(ObjectBuilder.java:308)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.UnitOfWorkImpl.assignSequenceNumber(UnitOfWorkImpl.java:465)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.UnitOfWorkImpl.registerNotRegisteredNewObjectForPersist(UnitOfWorkImpl.java:4231)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.RepeatableWriteUnitOfWork.registerNotRegisteredNewObjectForPersist(RepeatableWriteUnitOfWork.java:513)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.UnitOfWorkImpl.registerNewObjectForPersist(UnitOfWorkImpl.java:4176)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerImpl.persist(EntityManagerImpl.java:440)
at com.sun.enterprise.container.common.impl.EntityManagerWrapper.persist(EntityManagerWrapper.java:269)

[Updated on: Tue, 18 November 2014 18:11]

Re: SEQUENCE table / row lock issue [message #1479351 is a reply to message #1478467] Wed, 19 November 2014 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some more information, when a i use the connection pool sequence=true, i see that eclipse link appears to return from the following method, the option:

return PREALLOCATION_TRANSACTION_ACCESSOR;

protected int getStateId(boolean shouldUsePreallocation, boolean shouldUseTransaction) {
if (!shouldUsePreallocation) {
// Non-Oracle native sequencing uses this state
return NOPREALLOCATION;
} else if (!shouldUseTransaction) {
// Oracle native sequencing uses this state
return PREALLOCATION_NOTRANSACTION;
} else if (getConnectionHandler() == null) {
// TableSequence and UnaryTableSequence in case there is no separate connection(s) available use this state
return PREALLOCATION_TRANSACTION_NOACCESSOR;
} else/*if(getConnectionHandler()!=null)*/
{
// TableSequence and UnaryTableSequence in case there is separate connection(s) available use this state
return PREALLOCATION_TRANSACTION_ACCESSOR;
}
}

On the other hand, if the the nonJTA preference is on he seems to return ;
return PREALLOCATION_TRANSACTION_NOACCESSOR;

I also see that when getNexValue() is being used from

/**
* Uses preallocation, uses transaction, no separate connection.
* This is used for a DatabaseSession, or a ServerSession not using native sequencing,
* and not using a sequence connection pool.
* This is used by default for table sequencing, unless a sequence connection pool is specified,
* however it should only be used if there is no non-JTA login available.
* This will use the writeConnection, but use individual transactions per sequence allocation,
* unless the unit of work is in an early transaction, or the connection is JTA (this may deadlock).
*/
class Preallocation_Transaction_NoAccessor_State extends State implements SequencingCallbackFactory {

The code actually tries open a new transaction and commit.
// commitTransaction may copy preallocated sequence numbers
// from localSequences to preallocationHandler: that happens
// if it isn't a nested transaction, and sequencingCallback.afterCommit
// method has been called.
// In this case:
// 1. localSequences corresponding to the accessor
// has been removed from accessorToPreallocated;
// 2. All its members are empty (therefore localSequenceForName is empty).
writeSession.commitTransaction();

However, up to the commit part, the SQL reaches the database.
On the commit part, no SQL actually reaches the databsae.
It is as if the container know that you are using a connection meant for JTA transaction, and your commit is just ignored until the moment the container decides the transactions should really be commited.

Looking pool, new ExternalConnectionPool() that seems to be created, i have no indication whatsoever that the string written in NON-JTA persistence.xml configuration is used anywhere to determine the data source that should be used.
It would appear that the default data source somehow is being used.

Thanks for any feedback.

Re: SEQUENCE table / row lock issue [message #1498080 is a reply to message #748493] Thu, 04 December 2014 06:54 Go to previous message
Hi,

Just a brief update.
The one setting that was effective and managed to work both in weblogic as well as in glassfish was:
<property name="eclipselink.jdbc.sequence-connection-pool" value="true" />
<property name="eclipselink.jdbc.sequence-connection-pool.non-jta-data-source" value="jdbc/NON_JTA_DS" />

Where NON_JTA_DS is a non XA data source, in weblogic configured with the support global transaction set to NONE/disabled, and in glassfish with the "Non Transactional" checkbox enabled.

If I may add, the eclipse link documentation could well benefit from some clear examples of persistence-xml configurations coupled with some data source configuration in each application server.

As it stands, there is a bit of a gap in documentation, and in the source code - namely in the eclipse link persistence constant properties are bit confusing with all of the deprecated properties. These source files could well reference external documentation links with clear examples of how to use them.

Many thanks,
Kind regards.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 December 2014 06:56]

Previous Topic:Memory leak issue
Next Topic:Invalid binding with "IN" clause and entity
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 14:35:13 GMT 2024