Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Sequence diagram: upward messages(Unable to get. Bug of feature?)
Sequence diagram: upward messages [message #744736] Sat, 22 October 2011 09:52 Go to next message
Alex Berezkin is currently offline Alex BerezkinFriend
Hello colleagues,

I'm working with Papyrus UML Sequence diagram and can not understand: why it's impossible to create messages directed upwards? Is it a bug or feature? Suppose we have very simple example including two lifelines and one asynchronous message (see picture attached). The initial diagram is in the top-left. When I drag arow end downwards (bottom-left figure), it's OK. But when I drag it upwards, this is impossibe, mouse cursor becomes restrictive (see top-right figure). However, if to move the whole right lifeline upwards, diagram editor allows this, and we get message directed upwards (bottom-right figure).

Does anyone knows why is this? And is there a way to create messages directed upwards?
  • Attachment: sequence.png
    (Size: 11.53KB, Downloaded 317 times)

[Updated on: Sun, 23 October 2011 03:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Sequence diagram: upward messages [message #747289 is a reply to message #744736] Mon, 24 October 2011 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yang Liu is currently offline Yang LiuFriend
Alex,

I think this is a reasonable feature.
You may think this way, reason will happen before result. It's the same situation with message.
Message has target and source lifeline, target lifeline can only receive the message after source lifeline send it out.

Btw, you can find the time order information under fragment in model explorer view.

Yang
Re: Sequence diagram: upward messages [message #753742 is a reply to message #747289] Fri, 28 October 2011 14:47 Go to previous message
Alex Berezkin is currently offline Alex BerezkinFriend
Hello Yang,

Thanks for answer.

LiuYang wrote on Sun, 23 October 2011 21:57
Message has target and source lifeline, target lifeline can only receive the message after source lifeline send it out.

Yes, we can not receive message before it is sent, but who said that lifelines are synchronized by ordinate - purely graphical characteristic? The only thing that synchronizes lifelines is message - if it links two lifelines then send and receive points on them are certainly in timing relationship (if disregard transmit time this relationship is equality). I don't see any obstacle for this points to be located anywhere in the diagram graphical field.

And when we read timing information from the model (as you wrote) we usually fetch only events covered by one lifeline, otherwise events set will be a mix of different lifelines events which is hardly to work with.

So for now I still don't understand the behavior described. So please if there are more ideas please suggest, thank you.
Previous Topic:Question about create BehaviorExecutionSpecification and Message figure programatically in sequence
Next Topic:Composite diagramas and port connections
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:33:17 GMT 2024