Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Adding new Dimensions to Data Cube and Cross Tab
Adding new Dimensions to Data Cube and Cross Tab [message #741187] Wed, 19 October 2011 09:14 Go to next message
Aleksander Kruecken is currently offline Aleksander KrueckenFriend
Hi,

I'm having problems when I add a new Dimension to an existing DataCube and Cross Tab and then trying to add a highlight according to this new Dimension.
In my example, I added a new Dimension JobTitle to Group2-Employenumber-Firstname-Lastname in my DataCube. So far everything is ok (I can see it in Data Cube).

I then added a new Bind to my existing Cross Tab called 'JOBTITLE'.
After that I added a Higlight in one of the Cross Tab cells (FIRSTNAME). In this step I could see it in a listbox Condition.
data["JOBTITLE"] Equal to 'Sales Rep'

But, when I preview the report I get an error 'The binding "JOBTITLE" refers to invalid levels.'

Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I can get the expected result when I create a new CrossTab from scratch (a new Collumn JOBTITLE appears in CrossTab which I do not want to show), but I can not afford to do it this way, because my report is changing often and is time consuming.

Could you please look at my example in the attachment.

Kindly regards,
Aleksander
Re: Adding new Dimensions to Data Cube and Cross Tab [message #741497 is a reply to message #741187] Wed, 19 October 2011 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

The quickest way I got your example to work was to right click on the
row dimension icon in the crosstab and click on show/hide group levels.
I checked the job title field and hit ok. I then repeated the process
and turned it off. The crosstab ran but the highlight did not work. To
make it work I turned job title back on and then just hid the data
element using visibility.

Jason

On 10/19/2011 5:14 AM, Aleksander Kruecken wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems when I add a new Dimension to an existing DataCube and Cross Tab and then trying to add a highlight according to this new Dimension.
> In my example, I added a new Dimension JobTitle to Group2-Employenumber-Firstname-Lastname in my DataCube. So far everything is ok (I can see it in Data Cube).
>
> I then added a new Bind to my existing Cross Tab called 'JOBTITLE'.
> After that I added a Higlight in one of the Cross Tab cells (FIRSTNAME). In this step I could see it in a listbox Condition.
> data["JOBTITLE"] Equal to 'Sales Rep'
>
>
> But, when I preview the report I get an error 'The binding "JOBTITLE" refers to invalid levels.'
>
> Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>
> I can get the expected result when I create a new CrossTab from scratch (a new Collumn JOBTITLE appears in CrossTab which I do not want to show), but I can not afford to do it this way, because my report is changing often and is time consuming.
>
> Could you please look at my example in the attachment.
>
> Kindly regards,
> Aleksander
Re: Adding new Dimensions to Data Cube and Cross Tab [message #742060 is a reply to message #741497] Thu, 20 October 2011 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aleksander Kruecken is currently offline Aleksander KrueckenFriend
Thank you - that solved my problem.

Because I don't need to show the column Jobtitle in the CrossTab, I also deleted the Data Field JobTitle. To hide the lines of the entire column JobTitle I clicked the cell in which Data Field JobTitle was and in Advanced (Section area) properties chosed 'No Display'. Now the Crosstab doesn't show anything from the Jobtitle (which was my purpose), but I can still use it in higlight conditions in other columns. Great. Thanks again.

Aleksander
Re: Adding new Dimensions to Data Cube and Cross Tab [message #903773 is a reply to message #742060] Sat, 25 August 2012 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
birt user is currently offline birt userFriend
I have the same requirement. I have 2 crosstab reports, one source and another target and I am using drill through option. Taking your example I have to pass jobtitle from source report to target report. But I don't have to show job title in the source report. I followed instructions above but the crosstab output moves the columns to the left because of the empty column (job title removed) and breaks down everything. any tips how to make it work
Re: Adding new Dimensions to Data Cube and Cross Tab [message #904009 is a reply to message #903773] Mon, 27 August 2012 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

How did you remove Job title? Did you set visibility on the cell or the
data item? If you have an example that I can run, I may be able to spot
the problem.

Jason

On 8/25/2012 3:19 PM, birt user wrote:
> I have the same requirement. I have 2 crosstab reports, one source and
> another target and I am using drill through option. Taking your example
> I have to pass jobtitle from source report to target report. But I don't
> have to show job title in the source report. I followed instructions
> above but the crosstab output moves the columns to the left because of
> the empty column (job title removed) and breaks down everything. any
> tips how to make it work
Re: Adding new Dimensions to Data Cube and Cross Tab [message #906074 is a reply to message #904009] Fri, 31 August 2012 15:09 Go to previous message
birt user is currently offline birt userFriend
ok i was able to solve the problem by setting the width (under general properties) of jobtitle cell to zero and it worked like charm. Here are the steps that I followed similar to what had been suggested

1) After the jobtitle is there in the crosstab (it comes as a column), delete that data field. Another option is to hide it using visibility rule
2) then select the cell which had the jobtitle data field. from general properties, set the width to 0. And that did the trick

At the end BIRT rocks!!!

Previous Topic:org.eclipse.birt.report.service.api.ReportServiceException
Next Topic:What happened to the "allow blank" parameter option?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 16:13:19 GMT 2024