Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Simple WAR (VAADIN) problem
Simple WAR (VAADIN) problem [message #739448] Mon, 17 October 2011 13:46 Go to next message
David Heinecke is currently offline David HeineckeFriend
Hello!

I am having trouble getting a very simple VAADIN-powered servlet running. I created a simple standard WAR file that embeds VAADIN 6.7.0 in the /lib directory. The WAR deploys and runs fine on tomcat (7.0.22). When I drop this same WAR file on VIRGO 3.0.1, the log says that it deploys just fine to /Test context. When I try to hit it in a browser, I get a 500 error that is due to a CNF exception.

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.ApplicationServlet
	org.eclipse.gemini.web.tomcat.internal.loading.BundleWebappClassLoader.loadClass(BundleWebappClassLoader.java:306)
	java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
	org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:472)
	org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:100)
	org.eclipse.virgo.web.tomcat.support.ApplicationNameTrackingValve.invoke(ApplicationNameTrackingValve.java:33)
	org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:929)
	org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:405)
	org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:269)
	org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:515)
	org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:300)
	java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
	java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
	java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

I have verified that the offending class is in the embedded VAADIN jar, and since it is a standard WAR (not a shared-lib WAR), I thought that Virgo was supposed to be able to handle it? I also noticed that the VAADIN jar has an OSGi manifest, so I thought perhaps that Virgo notices it and won't allow it to be deployed in a standard WAR? There are plenty of web pages that show how to make VAADIN work as a shared-lib Web Bundle, but I thought by starting as a standard WAR (with no OSgi-ification) would be easier.

At this point I am more interested in learning why it won't work than just simply getting it to work.

TIA!
Re: Simple WAR (VAADIN) problem [message #739459 is a reply to message #739448] Mon, 17 October 2011 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
The VAADIN jar needs to be on the bundle classpath, so you should investigate what bundle classpath is being used. It may be that your WAR has some headers which indicate it is actually a Web Application Bundle, in which case its bundle classpath as defined in its manifest or the default bundle classpath will apply.
Re: Simple WAR (VAADIN) problem [message #739476 is a reply to message #739459] Mon, 17 October 2011 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Violeta Georgieva is currently offline Violeta GeorgievaFriend
you can change WABHeaders to "defaulted" in <Virgo-Home>/repository/ext/org.eclipse.virgo.web.properties
then redeploy the web application and tell us whether it is OK or not
we have problem reported for plain war transformation - https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=354730
Re: Simple WAR (VAADIN) problem [message #740033 is a reply to message #739476] Tue, 18 October 2011 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Heinecke is currently offline David HeineckeFriend
@Violeta

Changing the WABHeaders to defaulted did the trick. I'm reading the bug and trying to figure out what that setting is doing. Thanks for tip!

@Glyn

Thanks for the quick reply. The WAR manifest only has a manifest version and an empty class-path element: no osgi headers at all.
Re: Simple WAR (VAADIN) problem [message #740090 is a reply to message #740033] Tue, 18 October 2011 06:24 Go to previous message
Violeta Georgieva is currently offline Violeta GeorgievaFriend
Here is more information about this property:
- http://www.eclipse.org/virgo/download/release-notes/3.0.0.M06.php - Backward Incompatible Change to WAB Support
- http://wiki.eclipse.org/Virgo/Community/Migrating_from_2.x_to_3.0.0#Web_Application_Bundle_Manifest_Headers
Previous Topic:Eclipse Server Runtime Environment for Virgo (Jetty) 3.0.1
Next Topic:JavaOne
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 16:40:36 GMT 2024