Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Unable to create variable object
Unable to create variable object [message #735492] Wed, 12 October 2011 02:35 Go to next message
Mark Missing name is currently offline Mark Missing nameFriend
I'm experiencing a weird problem in the debugger. When stepping through the code, if at any point I hover the mouse over a variable to bring up its contents, it works just fine. I get a popup window containing the contents of the variable. However, as soon as I continue stepping through the code and get to a point at which the variable I was examining earlier goes out of scope, from that point forward I will continuously get the following error in the debug console... "mi_cmd_var_create: unable to create variable object". And on occasion I will also get "No symbol abc in current context", where abc is some variable I was previously examining but am no longer examining. If I never hover over any variables and then step through the code, none of these errors occur. Why is this happening? Is there a way to fix this?
Re: Unable to create variable object [message #735634 is a reply to message #735492] Wed, 12 October 2011 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
You can safely ignore those messages. It just means that Eclipse asks the debugger for the value of that variable and the debugger tells Eclipse that the variable does not exist (in the current scope).

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Unable to create variable object [message #735643 is a reply to message #735492] Wed, 12 October 2011 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
You can safely ignore those messages. It just means that Eclipse asks the debugger for the value of that variable and the debugger tells Eclipse that the variable does not exist (in the current scope).
--
Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
Re: Unable to create variable object [message #735709 is a reply to message #735643] Wed, 12 October 2011 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Missing name is currently offline Mark Missing nameFriend
Thanks for the response. Yes, I concluded it was nothing to be worried about because I was certainly no longer viewing the variable, and I know it has long gone out of scope. So, is this a bug in Eclipse? Why does Eclipse ask the gdb debugger for info on a variable I'm no longer viewing? If it's not a bug, is there some sort of setting within eclipse I can manipultate to stop this from occurring because these errors fill up the debug console and are quite annoying.
Re: Unable to create variable object [message #963144 is a reply to message #735709] Mon, 29 October 2012 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mario R is currently offline Mario RFriend
Just for completion...

To avoid getting those messages and filling up the console you can easily turn off the Debug Text Hover. You only have to remove the check mark in the following menu:

Preferences > C/C++ > Debug: Debug Text Hover "Use enhanced Debug Hover"
Re: Unable to create variable object [message #1783629 is a reply to message #963144] Wed, 14 March 2018 17:16 Go to previous message
Cool Javelin is currently offline Cool JavelinFriend
That sounds to me like a fix of the symptom, not the problem. I'd say there is a bug in Eclipse and it should be reported.
Previous Topic:Eclipse Input Output Redirection with < and >
Next Topic:[oxygen.2] Build In Docker form Windows Host cannot find source
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:38:41 GMT 2024