Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Mylyn » mylyn's context with bookmarks pro task
mylyn's context with bookmarks pro task [message #735213] Tue, 11 October 2011 09:04 Go to next message
Marcin Sanecki is currently offline Marcin SaneckiFriend
Hello everybody,

this is my first post on this forum.

I am wondering if it's any way to keep bookmarks in task's context so that it is possible to share them among others.
Here is an example:
I am investigating a bug (mylyn task), add some bookmarks as a notices and want to share these all information with other developers.

Best regards,
Marcin
Re: mylyn's context with bookmarks pro task [message #736539 is a reply to message #735213] Fri, 14 October 2011 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marcin Sanecki wrote on Tue, 11 October 2011 11:04
Hello everybody,

this is my first post on this forum.

I am wondering if it's any way to keep bookmarks in task's context so that it is possible to share them among others.
Here is an example:
I am investigating a bug (mylyn task), add some bookmarks as a notices and want to share these all information with other developers.

Best regards,
Marcin

I could not find the way to do this. It looks that there is no such functionality available (mylyn 3.6 ). Would you like to have it?
Re: mylyn's context with bookmarks pro task [message #736666 is a reply to message #736539] Fri, 14 October 2011 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manuel Doninger is currently offline Manuel DoningerFriend
Tasktop has this functionality in its commercial Mylyn extension, but i doubt they will put it into Mylyn.
Re: mylyn's context with bookmarks pro task [message #739644 is a reply to message #736666] Mon, 17 October 2011 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kaitlin Duck Sherwood is currently offline Kaitlin Duck SherwoodFriend
Note that there are two different types of bookmarks: Web bookmarks (which the Tasktop Bookmarks view shows) and the code bookmarks (which the regular Bookmarks view shows). I think Marcin is talking about code bookmarks. Code bookmarks are associated with files, not contexts, so you can't share them well.

While you can't go down to the exact line, you can go down to the method level. Right-click on the task in the Package Explorer, and Mark As Landmark. This is available in Mylyn as well as Tasktop.
Re: mylyn's context with bookmarks pro task [message #740086 is a reply to message #739644] Tue, 18 October 2011 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kaitlin Duck Sherwood wrote on Mon, 17 October 2011 19:37
Note that there are two different types of bookmarks: Web bookmarks (which the Tasktop Bookmarks view shows) and the code bookmarks (which the regular Bookmarks view shows). I think Marcin is talking about code bookmarks. Code bookmarks are associated with files, not contexts, so you can't share them well.

While you can't go down to the exact line, you can go down to the method level. Right-click on the task in the Package Explorer, and Mark As Landmark. This is available in Mylyn as well as Tasktop.

I am talking about code bookmarks - that is right.

Mark As Landmark is a standard way of creating context and the lowest level of it is method's level. I can mark method but can't mark any particular line in a method. With bookmarks it is possible to mark a line and, what is more important for me, add a comment.
Re: mylyn's context with bookmarks pro task [message #740940 is a reply to message #740086] Wed, 19 October 2011 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why don't you file an enhancement request on Mylyn? I would vote for that one.

Mylyn is an Eclipse component, so you'd file it at
bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/
Re: mylyn's context with bookmarks pro task [message #746182 is a reply to message #740086] Sun, 23 October 2011 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steffen Pingel is currently offline Steffen PingelFriend
Adding a bookmark for particular line in a source file is fairly brittle as
locations tends to change frequently. Therefore the context model is based
on the logical model elements and not locations. I would recommend using a
TODO or FIXME marker in conjunction with landmarking the corresponding Java
method to highlight a specific line in a context.

Alternatively, code review tools such as Gerrit are a great way to capture a
conversation around file content.

Steffen

Marcin Sanecki wrote:

> Kaitlin Duck Sherwood wrote on Mon, 17 October 2011 19:37
>> Note that there are two different types of bookmarks: Web bookmarks
>> (which the Tasktop Bookmarks view shows) and the code bookmarks (which
>> the regular Bookmarks view shows). I think Marcin is talking about code
>> bookmarks. Code bookmarks are associated with files, not contexts, so
>> you can't share them well.
>>
>> While you can't go down to the exact line, you can go down to the method
>> level. Right-click on the task in the Package Explorer, and Mark As
>> Landmark. This is available in Mylyn as well as Tasktop.
>
>
> I am talking about code bookmarks - that is right.
>
> Mark As Landmark is a standard way of creating context and the lowest
> level of it is method's level. I can mark method but can't mark any
> particular line in a method. With bookmarks it is possible to mark a line
> and, what is more important for me, add a comment.

--
Steffen Pingel
Committer, http://eclipse.org/mylyn
Senior Developer, http://tasktop.com
Re: mylyn's context with bookmarks pro task [message #753416 is a reply to message #746182] Thu, 27 October 2011 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steffen Pingel wrote on Sun, 23 October 2011 10:41
Adding a bookmark for particular line in a source file is fairly brittle as
locations tends to change frequently. Therefore the context model is based
on the logical model elements and not locations. I would recommend using a
TODO or FIXME marker in conjunction with landmarking the corresponding Java
method to highlight a specific line in a context.

Alternatively, code review tools such as Gerrit are a great way to capture a
conversation around file content.

Steffen

You are right, bookmarks for particular line of code are brittle when we want to share them among many people (many diffrent versions of files). It would be better to add bookmark to a logical part - a method for example. Methods can ba also removed then associated bookmark can be somehow mark.

For me these all bookmarks build a map of terrain (source code). I go here and there and I mark the terrain to be able to know what a building it is and who lives there. It is obvious that buildings can be changed in the meantime. That is why I need to update me map from time to time - it's up to me.
I am not looking for perfect solution. I just want to have some solution that helps me. Then this solution can be improved or if it's really bad decline.

What I want to do is to try this tasktop which has such solution. Maybe anyone of you have already tried this with tasktop and can share with us some experiences?

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2011 07:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: mylyn's context with bookmarks pro task [message #754066 is a reply to message #735213] Mon, 31 October 2011 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While I would love for you to become a paying customer of Tasktop, I feel obliged to say that Tasktop code bookmarks work the same as Mylyn code bookmarks. (Tasktop gives you *web page* bookmarks, but I don't think that's what you are talking about.)

Regardless, it's really easy to try Tasktop out: we at Tasktop give 30 day free trials.
Re: mylyn's context with bookmarks pro task [message #757382 is a reply to message #754066] Fri, 18 November 2011 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have just reported a request for new feature, bug id: 364109.

We will see...
Anyway, thanks for your opinions.
Re: mylyn's context with bookmarks pro task [message #1070790 is a reply to message #757382] Thu, 18 July 2013 17:26 Go to previous message
Marco Silva is currently offline Marco SilvaFriend
Well, I see that more people are looking for this feature. I would like that as well.
Previous Topic:Missing dependency on snapshot site
Next Topic:Restore all opened editors when reactivating a task
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 20:27:48 GMT 2024