Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Project repeated under working set
Project repeated under working set [message #735170] Tue, 11 October 2011 07:16 Go to next message
abynissia Missing name is currently offline abynissia Missing nameFriend
Hello, I wanted to use working sets to put my projects into categories. Something odd is going on, though, because when I am in the C/C++ perspective and have set the project explorer to show working sets as top-level elements, any open CDT project is listed twice. And the context menu for such a repeated project has several duplicated menu items if one selects the context menu of the second one.
See attachment for screenshot.

I am new to CDT but have used Eclipse for Java and Python a few years now.
As I was writing this, I noticed a view called C/C++ projects and I tried to use that one instead of Project explorer. It seems to be able to show a flat list of the selected working sets, but the list of working sets it displays when presses the little down-arrow button is not complete, and one has to open the dialog (Select Working Set...) instead if one wants to select a working set not shown in the list. Not so user-friendly I feel.

Ideally, I would like to group my projects into working sets and have those at the top level in the project explorer, and when in the C/C++ perspective I would only see the working sets I have set as relevant for that perspective.

I tried this on both Windows and Linux, same behavior. I am using Eclipse SDK 3.7.1 with CDT 8.0.1.

Thank you for reading and thanks in advance for any help!

[Updated on: Tue, 11 October 2011 07:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Project repeated under working set [message #735257 is a reply to message #735170] Tue, 11 October 2011 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
How did you create the Working set? I am using the project explorer with workings sets, too. But never had problems.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Project repeated under working set [message #735260 is a reply to message #735257] Tue, 11 October 2011 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your reply, Mr Mueller! I only know of one way to create working sets, and that is through: Project Explorer->View Menu->Select Working Set... and then in the dialog "Select Working Set" that appears create new working sets. Btw, I noticed now that if I create working set of type "Resource" instead, open C++ projects inside are not repeated. A possible work-around I could do, perhaps, if I/we are unable to find the root cause of this problem.
Re: Project repeated under working set [message #735588 is a reply to message #735260] Wed, 12 October 2011 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, as I mentioned in my original post, I had this problem on both Windows and Linux. Both those are Eclipse SDK editions (latest version) with CDT 8.0.1 installed from the master zip. Both installations are very fresh, very vanilla. However, I just tried eclipse-cpp-indigo-SR1-incubation-linux-gtk.tar.gz and there it works, projects are not repeated. Maybe there is some problem in the master zip of CDT that is causing this?
Re: Project repeated under working set [message #735641 is a reply to message #735588] Wed, 12 October 2011 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abynissia wrote on Wed, 12 October 2011 12:03
Hmm, as I mentioned in my original post, I had this problem on both Windows and Linux. Both those are Eclipse SDK editions (latest version) with CDT 8.0.1 installed from the master zip. Both installations are very fresh, very vanilla. However, I just tried eclipse-cpp-indigo-SR1-incubation-linux-gtk.tar.gz and there it works, projects are not repeated. Maybe there is some problem in the master zip of CDT that is causing this?

Weird. Can you compare the two installation directorys (only the CDT plugins)? Are there any differences?

Before you ask
- search this forum
- google
Re: Project repeated under working set [message #735645 is a reply to message #735588] Wed, 12 October 2011 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abynissia wrote on Wed, 12 October 2011 12:03
> Hmm, as I mentioned in my original post, I had this problem on both Windows and Linux. Both those are Eclipse SDK editions (latest version) with CDT 8.0.1 installed from the master zip. Both installations are very fresh, very vanilla. However, I just tried eclipse-cpp-indigo-SR1-incubation-linux-gtk.tar.gz and there it works, projects are not repeated. Maybe there is some problem in the master zip of CDT that is causing this?

Weird. Can you compare the two installation directorys (only the CDT plugins)? Are there any differences?
--
Before you ask
- search this forum
Re: Project repeated under working set [message #735660 is a reply to message #735645] Wed, 12 October 2011 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller wrote on Wed, 12 October 2011 09:14

The only differences I found are some files that are present in the CDT edition of Eclipse that are not present in the SDK edition of Eclipse where I manually installed CDT from the master-zipfile. But I suppose that's down to me selecting fewer features than how Eclipse CDT edition is configured. No files differed in binary form.
Here is the output:
Only in /home/dptk74/Downloads/eclipse/plugins/: org.eclipse.cdt.build.crossgcc_1.0.0.201109151620.jar
Only in /home/dptk74/Downloads/eclipse/plugins/: org.eclipse.cdt.debug.ui.memory.memorybrowser_1.2.100.201109151620.jar
Only in /home/dptk74/Downloads/eclipse/plugins/: org.eclipse.cdt.debug.ui.memory.search_1.2.0.201109151620.jar
Only in /home/dptk74/Downloads/eclipse/plugins/: org.eclipse.cdt.debug.ui.memory.traditional_1.2.0.201109151620.jar
Only in /home/dptk74/Downloads/eclipse/plugins/: org.eclipse.cdt.debug.ui.memory.transport_2.1.0.201109151620.jar
Only in /home/dptk74/Downloads/eclipse/plugins/: org.eclipse.cdt.launch.remote_2.3.0.201109151620.jar
Only in /home/dptk74/Downloads/eclipse/plugins/: org.eclipse.cdt.launch.remote.source_2.3.0.201109151620.jar
Only in /home/dptk74/Downloads/eclipse/plugins/: org.eclipse.cdt.msw.build_1.0.0.201109151620.jar
Only in /home/dptk74/Downloads/eclipse/plugins/: org.eclipse.cdt.mylyn.ui_3.6.0.v20110608-1400.jar
Only in /home/dptk74/Downloads/eclipse/plugins/: org.eclipse.linuxtools.cdt.autotools.core_1.0.2.201108301805.jar
Only in /home/dptk74/Downloads/eclipse/plugins/: org.eclipse.linuxtools.cdt.autotools.docs_2.0.2.201108301805.jar
Only in /home/dptk74/Downloads/eclipse/plugins/: org.eclipse.linuxtools.cdt.autotools.ui_1.0.1.201108301805.jar

And the eclipse in /home/dptk74/Downloads/eclipse is eclipse-cpp-indigo-SR1-incubation-linux-gtk.tar.gz
Re: Project repeated under working set [message #735677 is a reply to message #735660] Wed, 12 October 2011 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just tried another clean install of Eclipse SDK and installing CDT right away (from the master zip) and trying out the working set problem, but I didn't see it this time. So the problem is not related to the master zip. But both in my windows and linux installation I had managed to do something, which caused this problem to appear. Hmm, hard to track down :/

[Updated on: Wed, 12 October 2011 14:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Project repeated under working set [message #735695 is a reply to message #735677] Wed, 12 October 2011 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, in my latest test installation (as I described in my previous post, which was working), I exited it and installed latest PyDev (from zip) and restarted Eclipse. And now my C++ projects are repeated as in the screenshot I attached to my first post. Maybe something else other than PyDev triggered the problem, I am not sure about that, but my two original installations (on Windows and Linux) on which this problem manifested do indeed have PyDev installed.
Re: Project repeated under working set [message #735701 is a reply to message #735695] Wed, 12 October 2011 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just removed pydev on my windows installation (which suffered from repeated projects) and, voila, problem is gone. But it seems so far-fetched to me...what to do next?
Re: Project repeated under working set [message #735929 is a reply to message #735701] Thu, 13 October 2011 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abynissia wrote on Wed, 12 October 2011 16:57
I just removed pydev on my windows installation (which suffered from repeated projects) and, voila, problem is gone. But it seems so far-fetched to me...what to do next?

Looks like a problem in the pydev plugin. You should report the author of that plugin the bug.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- google
Re: Project repeated under working set [message #735999 is a reply to message #735929] Thu, 13 October 2011 10:39 Go to previous message
Axel Mueller wrote on Thu, 13 October 2011 02:50
Looks like a problem in the pydev plugin. You should report the author of that plugin the bug.

I've reported it to the pydev project. Hopefully the specific cause of this problem can be identified and fixed in short order. Thanks for your help in narrowing this problem down!
Previous Topic:__STDC__ always defined in CDT??
Next Topic:Simple Adding of Existing C Files to Projects
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:10:48 GMT 2024