Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Just using Virgo as a dm extender (+ web extender)(I d'ont want to use virgo server, just dm extender part)
Just using Virgo as a dm extender (+ web extender) [message #734965] Mon, 10 October 2011 14:32 Go to next message
Charlie Mordant is currently offline Charlie MordantFriend

Hi,
I'm making an osgi/pax project, an want to replace the spring-dm web/io/core bundles with the Virgo ones.
How can I do this?
Wich dependencies must I take in order to replace 'org.springframework.osgi.web.context.support.OsgiBundleXmlWebApplicationContext' by 'org.eclipse.virgo.web.dm.ServerOsgiBundleXmlWebApplicationContext'?
I don't want to run this on the entire virgo server in order to keep PAX and continue to be server-agnostic.

Please find attached an example (spring deps are in the web-simple module and in the provision pom).
You just have to run mvn clean install + mvn pax:provision + go to localhost:8080/net.osgiliath.orthank-sample.java.web.simple_1.0.0-SNAPSHOT test the helloworld

Regards, Charlie
Re: Just using Virgo as a dm extender (+ web extender) [message #734985 is a reply to message #734965] Mon, 10 October 2011 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Unfortunately you can't just pick and choose from Virgo bundles to get specific Virgo functions. The minimal usable subset of Virgo is the Virgo kernel which is launched in a special way and hooks into Equinox to provide its function.

The p2 support planned for Virgo 3.5 may improve matters somewhat in terms of the initialisation sequence and the ability to launch Virgo like a standard Equinox application.

However, either way it seem you'll need most of Virgo Tomcat Server in order to use org.eclipse.virgo.web.dm.ServerOsgiBundleXmlWebApplicationContext.
Re: Just using Virgo as a dm extender (+ web extender) [message #735059 is a reply to message #734965] Mon, 10 October 2011 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie Mordant is currently offline Charlie MordantFriend

Hi again,
thank you for your reactivity.
Being osgi platform agnostic must not have the counterpart to be web server tight.
I'm going to run my web & web-services app on Jetty...

I think I'll continue to use Spring-dm and make a specific jetty 8 extender fragment in order to load my apps, I'll be back on Virgo when it'll be possible...

Best regards, Charlie

Re: Just using Virgo as a dm extender (+ web extender) [message #735158 is a reply to message #735059] Tue, 11 October 2011 06:35 Go to previous message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Ok. Apart from considering using Virgo Jetty Server what some people have done is to use the Virgo kernel and configure their own choice of bundles into the user region to make a custom server. Then they get the kernel benefits: improved Spring DM diagnostics, better failure diagnostics in general, admin console and shell support, etc.
Previous Topic:Can I deploy a plan file to a Virgo server from the Servers view?
Next Topic:Upgrading to Virgo 3.0.1 causing Uses violations
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:10:10 GMT 2024