Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Target Management » How to escalate to root over a remote SSH session to sshd-allowed non-root user?
icon5.gif  How to escalate to root over a remote SSH session to sshd-allowed non-root user? [message #733858] Wed, 05 October 2011 19:53 Go to next message
Pat  is currently offline Pat Friend
Hi,

I've set up Eclipse/Indigo's RSE.

I can connect using pubkey auth to our remote SSH servers, and navigate file tree & edit/save files.

But that's for login as username="<user>", where "<user>" is allowed in the remote system's sshd_config.

Those remote systems have "root" login prohibited. Of coure, via shell, I simply login and 'su' escalate to root as required.

How do I grab root from within RSE for the occassional need-to-edit a root-owned file, if root-login is prohibited?

Pat
Re: How to escalate to root over a remote SSH session to sshd-allowed non-root user? [message #733873 is a reply to message #733858] Wed, 05 October 2011 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Oberhuber is currently offline Martin OberhuberFriend
I don't think it's possible with RSE (after all root login is prohibited ... and I also don't see a way to tunnel the communication).

You could run a daemon as root on the remote (eg a dstore daemon, or a TCF agent) for root access. But in some sense that would compromise your system's security standards, which have been set forth by disallowing root access.

Perhaps a better way is using a terminal, "su -" in there, and then run a terminal based file editor such as midnight commander (mc). Or you use vi right away Smile After all editing root-owned files shouldn't happen all that often, right ?
Re: How to escalate to root over a remote SSH session to sshd-allowed non-root user? [message #733874 is a reply to message #733873] Wed, 05 October 2011 20:27 Go to previous message
Pat  is currently offline Pat Friend
Hi,

> I don't think it's possible with RSE (after all root login is prohibited ... and I also don't see a way to tunnel the communication).

That's too bad, then.

> You could run a daemon as root on the remote

If I'm going to do that, I might as well allow root_access to sshd, but that's the security compromise I'm trying to avoid in the 1st place.

> Perhaps a better way is using a terminal

For that I use joe, anyway. But the question is posted here because I'm hoping for some way to do this from within Eclipse.

> After all editing root-owned files shouldn't happen all that often, right ?

On the contrary.

When the 'project' *is* server/daemon/application setup, with various uid:gid file & dir perms all over the place, many with NO login perms, having root access is a pretty frequent need.
Previous Topic:eclipse rse - terminals view
Next Topic:RSE - Connecting to a server via SSH
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:41:53 GMT 2024