Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Feature based export does not work
Feature based export does not work [message #731491] Sat, 01 October 2011 11:53 Go to next message
sschmitz is currently offline sschmitzFriend
Hey there,

I am trying to deploy an application, but I'm running into trouble.
Plugin-based export works and the application starts and works without problems. However, in order to create an update site, a feature-based export is needed (right?). So I switched from plugin to feature in the overview tab of my product file. It complained about a lot of missing bundles. I created a feature project and included every missing bundle in the Plug-Ins tab of its feature.xml.
After that, the export worked, but when I try to start the application, I get the following error:
pastebin.com/Wmj5PCRu
This is the list of plugins in the plugin directory:
pastebin.com/PFYxsLbp

The common solution to this error is "reinstall eclipse", but that does not really help here. The error occured on Arch Linux 32 Bit and Windows 7 64 Bit.

I hope you can help me, thanks in advance!
Re: Feature based export does not work [message #733387 is a reply to message #731491] Tue, 04 October 2011 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christopher Brind is currently offline Christopher BrindFriend
The way I understand it (and I went through this process today) is that the plugins tab is for the plugins you want to include in the feature. So typically that would be just the plugins you've created. Other plugins and features (that you depend on) should be specified in the dependencies tab. Interested to know if that helps you.

Edit: Also worth noting that if your Eclipse app expects an XML editor to be present (for instance) then if none of your plugins depend on the XML editor plugins/features, this is the place to specify them to make sure they are available when your feature is installed and/or your product is built.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 October 2011 16:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Feature based export does not work [message #733648 is a reply to message #733387] Wed, 05 October 2011 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your answer. I think adding org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux... to the feature and some RCP magic did the trick. I tried a lot of things, don't know exactly, what did it.
So feature based export works when I only export for the current platform (Linux GTK x86), but trying to export to the other OS (Linux GTK x86, Linux GTK x86_64, MacOS Cocoa x86, MacOS Cocoa x86_64, Windows win32 x86 and Windows win32 x86_64), I get the following error:
pastebin.com/aCBvTXgm

Google could not really help me :/
Re: Feature based export does not work [message #733660 is a reply to message #733648] Wed, 05 October 2011 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curios: It works if "generate metadata repository" is unchecked. How can that be?
Re: Feature based export does not work [message #735087 is a reply to message #731491] Mon, 10 October 2011 22:06 Go to previous message
Got one step further:

When trying to execute a feature based export to multiple platforms with "Generate metadata repository" checked, I get the following error:

Quote:
Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software being installed: de.unisiegen.informatik.bs.alvis.product.test 1.0.4
Missing requirement: Rcp 1.0.0.201110110002 (de.unisiegen.informatik.bs.alvis.features.feature.group 1.0.0.201110110002) requires 'org.eclipse.core.filesystem.linux.x86 [1.4.0.v20110423-0524]' but it could not be found
Cannot satisfy dependency:
Cannot satisfy dependency:

No stack trace...

Feature based export with "Generate metadata repository" checked to the current platform (Linux) works.

Feature based export with "Generate metadata repository" unchecked to multiple platforms works.

Anyone who has a clue?
Previous Topic:Can't save editor content
Next Topic:How can I prompt a question to user during a Job without losing the background thread?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:28:31 GMT 2024