Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Linux Tools Project » Import autotools project(How to import a autotools project other than through scm)
Import autotools project [message #730845] Thu, 29 September 2011 10:49 Go to next message
Satpal Chander is currently offline Satpal ChanderFriend
Hi,
I would like to know how i can import a C/C++ autoools project without using a scm.
We current use cvsnt(sserver/sspi) as our scm, this isn't supported in eclipse.
The problem is that there doesn't seem to be anyway of importing an autotools project that has been checked out from cvs. e.g. Importing autotools from filesystem.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Satpal
Re: Import autotools project [message #731402 is a reply to message #730845] Fri, 30 September 2011 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Johnston is currently offline Jeff JohnstonFriend
Satpal,

You can import your project however you want to and convert it after the fact using the Convert to C/C++ Autotools Project found
under the New->Other...->C/C++ Just bring in your project as a Generic project and then do the conversion.

-- Jeff Johnston
Re: Import autotools project [message #731808 is a reply to message #731402] Mon, 03 October 2011 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for you reply, Jeff,
However I'm having some problems. for some reason I'm unable to install linux tools, as per wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/PluginInstallHelp installation guide.
I get the error:
Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
  Software being installed: Linux Tracing Toolkit Integration (LTTng) (Incubation) 0.3.1.201109262035 (org.eclipse.linuxtools.lttng.feature.group 0.3.1.201109262035)
  Missing requirement: Linux Tracing Toolkit (LTTng) UI (Incubation) 0.3.1.201109262035 (org.eclipse.linuxtools.lttng.ui 0.3.1.201109262035) requires 'bundle org.eclipse.tm.tcf.core 0.3.0' but it could not be found
  Cannot satisfy dependency:
    From: Linux Tracing Toolkit Integration (LTTng) (Incubation) 0.3.1.201109262035 (org.eclipse.linuxtools.lttng.feature.group 0.3.1.201109262035)
    To: org.eclipse.linuxtools.lttng.ui [0.3.1.201109262035]

I'm on Ubuntu 11.10b2 using:
Eclipse 3.7.0, build-id I20110613-1736

Any Ideas?

I have managed to install the autotools part, by unslecting the installation of LTTng.

I have a couple of questions though:

• After creating a shared library project I import it via the import filesystem option under import, is this OK?
  • When I do the conversion I get an error saying:
    Can't open /myproject/configure

This is after autogen.sh is run. In the root directory of the project the following files exist:
    autogen.sh,  configure.ac, Makefile.am

Along with a src directory.
  • Then try running autoreconf and i get the following error:
    An internal error occurred during: "autoreconf". org.eclipse.cdt.ui.CUIPlugin.startGlobalConsole()V

Any ideas on this one?

Regards
Satpal

[Updated on: Mon, 03 October 2011 08:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Import autotools project [message #731960 is a reply to message #731808] Mon, 03 October 2011 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Francois Chouinard is currently offline Francois ChouinardFriend
Hello Satpal,

LTTng has a dependency on TCF 0.4.0 which is a component of CDT. I wonder where that '0.3.0' comes from.

I'll come back to you.

/fc
Re: Import autotools project [message #732176 is a reply to message #731960] Tue, 04 October 2011 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Francois Chouinard wrote on Mon, 03 October 2011 10:54
Hello Satpal,

LTTng has a dependency on TCF 0.4.0 which is a component of CDT. I wonder where that '0.3.0' comes from.

I'll come back to you.

/fc

Thanks. Let me know if you if you need any more information.

Regards
Satpal
Re: Import autotools project [message #740752 is a reply to message #731808] Tue, 18 October 2011 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Satpal,

See responses below:

Quote:

I have a couple of questions though:

After creating a shared library project I import it via the import filesystem option under import, is this OK?

It should work as it is just copying the files over to your empty project that you had to create before-hand. If I have a project already checked out outside of the workspace, I usually go to create a New C (or C++) project, then specify GNU Autotools->Empty Project and for location, I uncheck the default and specify the location of where the project exists in the file system.

Quote:

When I do the conversion I get an error saying:

Can't open /myproject/configure

This is after autogen.sh is run. In the root directory of the project the following files exist:

autogen.sh, configure.ac, Makefile.am

Autotools finding an autogen.sh script expects autogen.sh to have either created configure or to have run configure. In your case, configure does not appear to have been run or created by autogen.sh. When it tries to run it blindly, you get the error above. Please open a bug against this.

For the mean-time, you will need to select your project and under the top-level Project menu, select Invoke Autotools->autoreconf as you appear to have tried.

In the autoreconf dialog, select the option -i and run. This will create your configure script and Makefile.in file. You should be able to then build the project.

Quote:

Along with a src directory.
Then try running autoreconf and i get the following error:

An internal error occurred during: "autoreconf". org.eclipse.cdt.ui.CUIPlugin.startGlobalConsole()V

Can you elaborate on the error? Do you have a stack-trace? Please open a bug concerning this as well so we can work on what the real problem is. As a temporary work-around, run autoreconf from the command-line. If you have not updated CDT in a while, consider doing that.

-- Jeff
Re: Import autotools project [message #741676 is a reply to message #740752] Wed, 19 October 2011 19:45 Go to previous message
Note that I have opened a bug against the autogen.sh behaviour https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=361461
It has been resolved in master branch and will shortly be done in stable-0.9. The fix will appear in a future nightly build and
in the up-coming 0.9.0 release.
Previous Topic:I can't install additional software on eclipse indigo
Next Topic:Syntax error in editor [wrong], but make succeeds [correct]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:09:37 GMT 2024