Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » MoDisco » VB6 Reverse Engineering
VB6 Reverse Engineering [message #729914] Tue, 27 September 2011 09:25 Go to next message
marco.paparusso is currently offline marco.paparussoFriend
Hello,

I'm completely new to MoDisco and I'm trying to gather info about it to find out if it can help me out.
My purpose is to do some reverse engineering of a Visual Basic 6 application and extract some WebML or Conallen's WAE models, in order to act a refactoring of our application to improve the user experience and renew the presentation layer.

My first question is: does MoDisco support VB6 code? I've read something about it (www.eclipse.org/MoDisco/useCases/VBCodeAnalysis/) but it seems like a dead end. I understood that a VB6 discoverer is needed. Does it exist?

The second question is about Modisco's output: assuming it can support VB6, what kind of model can I get? I've seen an example where the result was the generation of some UML class diagrams. It would be kinda poor and not so helpful.

Please, help me out!

Calla.
Re: VB6 Reverse Engineering [message #729989 is a reply to message #729914] Tue, 27 September 2011 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gregoire Dupe is currently offline Gregoire DupeFriend
Hello,

> My first question is: does MoDisco support VB6 code?

No, there isn't any support of VB6.

> I've read something about it (www.eclipse.org/MoDisco/useCases/VBCodeAnalysis/) but it seems like a dead end. I understood that a VB6 discoverer is needed.

It's a too old page, if Hugo agrees, I'll remove it.

> The second question is about Modisco's output: assuming it can support VB6, what kind of model can I get? I've seen an example where the result was the generation of some UML class diagrams. It would be kinda poor and not so helpful.

Currently, we only have an example that read Java code and produces a UML model, but not the corresponding diagrams (cf. http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/modisco/doc/org.eclipse.modisco.usecase.modelfilter.doc/mediawiki/user.html).

In the MoDisco project we begin by discovering a model representing the code (for example a model conforming to the Java model, http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/topic/org.eclipse.gmt.modisco.java.doc/doc/MoDisco/Components/Java/Documentation/0.9/0.9.html). After, we transform this code model to a UML model, a KDM model or something else.

Regards,
Gregoire Dupe
Re: VB6 Reverse Engineering [message #730353 is a reply to message #729989] Wed, 28 September 2011 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hugo Bruneliere is currently offline Hugo BruneliereFriend
Hello Marco,

First, thanks a lot for your interest in MoDisco.
The page mentioned by Grégoire is now deprecated and so could be definitely removed (even though it is already not referenced anymore from the MoDisco homepage and Wiki, please could you inform us if you found a remaining link?).

Anyway, generally speaking, the process "source code -> source model -> transformed model 1 -> etc" as described in the previous answer is the one followed by the MoDisco approach and framework.

Best regards,

Hugo

--------------------------------------------------------
Hugo Bruneliere, PhD
NaoMod team (IMT Atlantique & LS2N-CNRS)
Nantes - France
--------------------------------------------------------
Re: VB6 Reverse Engineering [message #733643 is a reply to message #730353] Wed, 05 October 2011 09:36 Go to previous message
marco.paparusso is currently offline marco.paparussoFriend
Thanks for your helpful replies.
@Hugo: I just googled "vb6 modisco" and I got there.

Previous Topic:How to create eclipse like Welcome page
Next Topic:Feature request:: Listener to InventoryModel creation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:27:23 GMT 2024