Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » How to use outer joins in named query to calculate aggregate values?
How to use outer joins in named query to calculate aggregate values? [message #729538] Mon, 26 September 2011 13:00 Go to next message
Wolfgang  is currently offline Wolfgang Friend
I am curious whether I can make eclipselink (2.3) use outer joins in named-queries to generate SQL-statements involving aggregation. My example: I want to display the number of children and a max-value for a given set of parents in a hierarchical structure
rds (1:n) rdsresult (1:n) sio

I use the named query
<named-query name="findRDSCountAndMax"><query>
select sio.rdsResult.rds.id, count(sio.id), max(sio.rds.resultCode) from sio where sio.rdsResult.rds.id in :theIds group by sio.rdsResult.rds.id
</query></named-query>

At runtime this is translated into the following SQL:
a)
SELECT t0.ID, COUNT(t2.ID), MAX(t1.RESULTCODE) FROM TRDS t0, TSIO t2, TRDSResult t1 WHERE ((t1.RDS_ID IN (?)) AND ((t1.ID = t2.RDS_RESULT_ID) AND (t0.ID = t1.RDS_ID))) GROUP BY t0.ID
bind => [81]

this is close but not equivalent to the query that really should be used
b)
SELECT t0.ID, COUNT(t2.ID), MAX(t1.RESULTCODE) FROM TRDS t0 outer join TRDSResult t1 on (t0.ID = t1.rds_ID))) outer join TSIO t2 on t1.ID = t2.rds_RESULT_ID WHERE (t0.ID IN (?)) GROUP BY t0.ID
bind => [81]

Where the result of a) is "empty" b) returns (81, 0, null)

Additionally it would be nice to include a conversion from "null" to -1 for the max field. For mysql this can be done with colasce, such that the sql-statement becomes
c) SELECT t0.ID, COUNT(t2.ID), coalesce(MAX(t1.RESULTCODE),-1)...

I tried to add "<join-fetch>outer</join-fetch>" to the (1:n) mappings but that did not help.

Now I can create a native-query with the correct code, but if I can make eclipselink use outer joins then I would prefer that - any hints?

regards
Wolfgang
Re: How to use outer joins in named query to calculate aggregate values? [message #729705 is a reply to message #729538] Mon, 26 September 2011 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Sutherland is currently offline James SutherlandFriend

Outer joins are supported in JPQL using "left join".

select rds.id, count(sio.id), max(rds.resultCode) from sio sio left join sio.rds rds where rds.id in :theIds group by rds.id

James : Wiki : Book : Blog : Twitter
Re: How to use outer joins in named query to calculate aggregate values? [message #730052 is a reply to message #729705] Tue, 27 September 2011 14:44 Go to previous message
Wolfgang  is currently offline Wolfgang Friend
thanks for pointing me in the right direction - in addition to using "left join" I had to navigate the relationship from parent to children instead of from child to parent and then the result will be as wanted. Case closed Smile

correct result:
select rds.id, count(sio.id), max(rdsResult.resultCode) from RDS rds left join rds.rdsResults rdsResult left join rdsResult.sios sio where rds.id in :theIds group by rds.id

wrong result (obviously):
select rds.id, count(sio.id), max(rdsResult.resultCode) from SIO sio left join sio.rdsResult rdsResult left join redsResult.rds rds where rds.id in :theIds group by rds.id
Re: How to use outer joins in named query to calculate aggregate values? [message #730062 is a reply to message #729705] Tue, 27 September 2011 14:44 Go to previous message
Wolfgang is currently offline WolfgangFriend
thanks for pointing me in the right direction - in addition to using "left join" I had to navigate the relationship from parent to children instead of from child to parent and then the result will be as wanted. Case closed :)

correct result:
select rds.id, count(sio.id), max(rdsResult.resultCode) from RDS rds left join rds.rdsResults rdsResult left join rdsResult.sios sio where rds.id in :theIds group by rds.id

wrong result (obviously):
select rds.id, count(sio.id), max(rdsResult.resultCode) from SIO sio left join sio.rdsResult rdsResult left join redsResult.rds rds where rds.id in :theIds group by rds.id
Previous Topic:Re: sync error with eclipselink
Next Topic:Adding a mapped-superclass via orm.xml fails
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:18:40 GMT 2024