Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » Additional p2 utilization actor(P2SiteRebuilder, p2Mirror and p2Director available)
Additional p2 utilization actor [message #727531] Wed, 21 September 2011 14:00 Go to next message
R. Oldenburg is currently offline R. OldenburgFriend
Hello all,

I am not that familiar with the submission processes for eclipse projects... So I am not sure, if I am at the right place here...

Wouldn't it be fine to be able to use all the "Ant tasks for managing repositories" from eclipse p2 platform? (I am not allowed to use links here, so google for "Ant tasks for managing repositories" if unsure what I am talking about).

Reason for me was:
I had built an p2 site with a complete product. Then afterwards I did some "sealing logic" on the jars , i.e. by writing to the comment entry in the jar. That logically corrupts the already computed MD5 sum entries in the p2 artifacts xml.

Before anybody asks: No, I could not have done it in an earlier step because of some of the other steps that also do change the resulting jars.

As I could not find any better solution, I did the following: A simple p2.process.artifacts run fixes that issue for me. I did not want to start a complete new eclipse session as buckminster (as far as I have understood) already runs within such instance.

I have built a simple, quick-and-dirty plugin which works as a bridge between "PDE Repository Tools" and "Buckminster".
Analog to the P2SiteGenerator I registered a "p2SiteRebuilder" which currently works like a charm. (And a lot faster than an extra eclipse-antRunner call)
I added my eclipse plugin (directly zipped in workspace) for anybody who is interested.

Obviously I had to break some API limits by using the internal PDE classes.
Maybe anybody in the buckminster team feels encouraged to integrate these op's into the available default buckminster actors.

Or maybe there are solutions that I didn't came across (which could very likely be the case Smile

Thanks to the buckminster team for the GREAT work on these automation tools.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 January 2012 20:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Additional p2 utilization actor [message #774398 is a reply to message #727531] Tue, 03 January 2012 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meanwhile I uploaded a working plugin project under
[url=https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=358423]

Containing actors for p2.mirror, p2.process.artifacts and p2.director

This way the very often described ant target "create.product" solution can be replaced by pure cspex configuration.
Re: Additional p2 utilization actor [message #815400 is a reply to message #774398] Wed, 07 March 2012 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew Webber is currently offline Matthew WebberFriend
Do we know if this is going to be incorporated in an upcoming release of Buckminster? Is it ready for release? It looks useful.
Re: Additional p2 utilization actor [message #815413 is a reply to message #815400] Wed, 07 March 2012 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
On 03/07/2012 05:04 PM, Matthew Webber wrote:
> Do we know if this is going to be incorporated in an upcoming release of Buckminster? Is it ready for release? It looks
> useful.
>
It does indeed. I want to get it in, it's just a matter of time and resources :-)

Help with testing and code review would be very appreciated.

- thomas
Re: Additional p2 utilization actor [message #911052 is a reply to message #815413] Mon, 10 September 2012 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Kravets is currently offline Alex KravetsFriend
I need to do the same thing in build - call p2.process.artifacts. Is this something I can do with headless buckminster, I am using 3.5. If not can anyone suggest how to run this task in <java> task? How should eclipse be installed on the server?

Thanks,
Alex
Re: Additional p2 utilization actor [message #911055 is a reply to message #911052] Mon, 10 September 2012 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To clarify I tried running with similar <java> call that create.product is using, but was not sure what application to call, so I called ant script with p2.process.artifacts call with ant runner, but that did not work.
Re: Additional p2 utilization actor [message #911174 is a reply to message #911055] Tue, 11 September 2012 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I also tried using org.eclipse.buckminster.p2.actor plugin, but when I use action in the build I get error:
Quote:

Action site.p2.rebuild refers to actor with id p2SiteRebuilder but no such actor has been registered with extension-point org.eclipse.buckminster.core.actors

As far as I see in the plugin this extension point is being implemented by p2SiteRebuilder, what am I doing wrong?
Re: Additional p2 utilization actor [message #911236 is a reply to message #911174] Tue, 11 September 2012 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you build the plugin from the bug attachment?
How did you install it into your eclipse IDE? I copied it into dropins folder...
Maybe you need to start eclipse with -clean afterwards.
And you possibly should delete buckminster caches before that start. (Completely delete workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.buckminster.core).
Re: Additional p2 utilization actor [message #911414 is a reply to message #911236] Tue, 11 September 2012 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am not running it from IDE, I am running it from Jenkins - if that's what you are asking. I build the plugin attached to bugzilla and copied it to /home/jenkins/tools/Buckminster/buckminster_3.6/buckminster/plugins folder on the server. Then running the job with the call to p2SiteRebuilder action.
Re: Additional p2 utilization actor [message #911422 is a reply to message #911414] Tue, 11 September 2012 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, well... You still run it within the eclipse runtime. But in headless mode Wink
Please consider: Simply copying the bundle into plugins folder does not neccessarily install the plugin.

On our Hudson I always needed to change the configuration/bundles.info so that the new plugin was correctly recognized. And still: A start (afterwards) with -clean seems also neccessary to me.
Re: Additional p2 utilization actor [message #911870 is a reply to message #911422] Wed, 12 September 2012 13:36 Go to previous message
Even with updating bundles.info same thing. I did manage to call p2.process.artifcats through shell script because <java> task would report that that p2 task could not be found, so at least it works now. Do you know if your feature made it or will make it into Buckminster?
Previous Topic:Buckminster - How to proceed
Next Topic:Target platform not working correctly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 09:24:02 GMT 2024