Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » JAX bundles included with Virgo
JAX bundles included with Virgo [message #726994] Tue, 20 September 2011 06:36 Go to next message
Tin N/A is currently offline Tin N/AFriend
Hi,

I have a question about JAX (JAXB, JAXRPC, SAAJ) API bundles included with Virgo 3.0. Since most of the JAX APIs and their implementations are already included with JSE 1.6 (and Virgo can use them since their packages are declared in lib/java6-server.profile), my question is simple - why are those bundles included in the Virgo download? I'm asking because I removed all four of the JAX-related bundles from repository/ext, and Virgo still works with no problems (I only replaced JAXRPC with my own bundles: an API bundle + 2 of its fragments that include Sun's implementation and SPI classes since the JAXRPC API bundle provided with Virgo seems to be Axis-based). So before I start using this in production, I just want to make sure there won't be any covert nasty surprises waiting for me because of removing those bundles and depending on what is provided by JSE itself.

Thanks in advance,
Tin
Re: JAX bundles included with Virgo [message #727024 is a reply to message #726994] Tue, 20 September 2011 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
That's probably a throw-back to the days when SpringSource dm Server supported Java 5.

JAXRPC is used as you point out, but it should be reasonable to delete the other two if, as seems to be the case, they are unused. As for replacing JAXRPC with your own bundles: it sounds plausible, but of course Virgo may not have been tested in this configuration by anyone else.
Re: JAX bundles included with Virgo [message #727362 is a reply to message #727024] Wed, 21 September 2011 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, so far those JAXRPC bundles do work OK. I needed to make custom ones because only the APIs are included with Virgo, but it's lacking SPI and implementation.
And speaking of missing implementations, JSE does not include the whole of JAX-WS (for example, WSIT is missing), and it's a real pain to make it all work together with bundles. I'm not sure what direction future Virgo (web) releases will take with including JAX-related bundles, but if it's decided to keep them, then additionaly providing those missing components would be very useful.
Re: JAX bundles included with Virgo [message #727410 is a reply to message #727362] Wed, 21 September 2011 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Then I suggest you raise an enhancement bugzilla to get that requirement on the books. Please give as much detail as possible as this is quite a confusing area.
Re: JAX bundles included with Virgo [message #728754 is a reply to message #727410] Fri, 23 September 2011 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will, but I'll try (haven't managed yet) to first make functioning bundles myself, by studying in more details how different components of the framework are used. As you said - it is confusing, and pretty complex because all of the bits and pieces are released together as Metro, but are then kind of crippled when included into JSE so restoring full functionality could be tricky.
Re: JAX bundles included with Virgo [message #729433 is a reply to message #728754] Mon, 26 September 2011 07:50 Go to previous message
Thanks.
Previous Topic:NoClassDefFound: javax.persistence.criteria.CriteriaQuery
Next Topic:DynamicImport-Package question while patching DataNucleus for OSGi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:45:23 GMT 2024