Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Application crashing due to packed plugin, can I unpack?
Application crashing due to packed plugin, can I unpack? [message #726848] Mon, 19 September 2011 17:23 Go to next message
Max Mising name is currently offline Max Mising nameFriend
In the RCP feature, the eclipse plugin org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86 is not specified to be unpacked. This is causing issues for us in a couple of places. First, when a user launches multiple instances of our application (sounds weird but they do it), the shared object(s) in that plugin get unpacked to the /home/user/.eclipse/.... What I noticed was the code to do this will delete all the contents in the bundle's folder before unpacking (which happens every time the app is launched). So if you have one application that has successfully unpacked the swt.gtk plugin and is in the process of reading in a .so, another can come in and delete the so and cause a seg fault on the first application instance.

Another case where this causes issues is when users have NFS mounted home folders, if the nfs has any issues, it can cause the app to crash the next time it tries to read in something from the so.

My question is, can I override the eclipse feature specification and force that plugin to be unpacked on installation in our application? I tried just adding the plugin to our feature and specifying unpack="true" but it caused the build to fail.

Thanks

Max

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2011 14:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Application crashing due to packed plugin, can I unpack? [message #754527 is a reply to message #726848] Wed, 02 November 2011 23:45 Go to previous message
Max Mising name is currently offline Max Mising nameFriend
Sorry for the shameful bump but does anyone know if it is possible to override unpack settings from other features? This issue is still causing us problems and we really need to specify some of the eclipse bundles to unpack on installation or if this is a bug with the code that extracts files from bundles. I would think that it shouldn't delete entire directories before writing files but instead merge files from the bundle into directories (if they exist already)

Thanks

Max
Previous Topic:Size of a view part
Next Topic:Show intro on new version first launch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:41:42 GMT 2024