Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » debugger launch is slow (cygwin, gdb, C++)
debugger launch is slow (cygwin, gdb, C++) [message #724247] Sun, 11 September 2011 18:10 Go to next message
David Bo Jensen is currently offline David Bo JensenFriend
I have
$ gdb -v
GNU gdb 6.8.0.20080328-cvs (cygwin-special)

and eclipse helios
Helios Service Release 2
GDB Common 7.0.0.201102110609

My application I try to debug takes 8MB with debugging information.

Every time I try to launch the debugger I have to wait for several minutes. Why is it so?
Re: debugger launch is slow (cygwin, gdb, C++) [message #724370 is a reply to message #724247] Mon, 12 September 2011 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can debug from a command line with
gdb Debug/myprogram
really fast. Do I have to set some environment variables?
Re: debugger launch is slow (cygwin, gdb, C++) [message #724397 is a reply to message #724370] Mon, 12 September 2011 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
malo_nj  is currently offline malo_nj Friend
Debugging with eclipse will always be slower but several min wait to start is to much.Look at the gdb/mi console and you will see gdb working on something maybe you can find more info there.
There are lots of reason this could happen for example I had the same problem because eclipse was telling gdb to search for sources in my .svn folders and it took its time doing that.
One more reason for slow debugging can be a lot of output to console, but this is in the process of debugging not the start of debugging.

Re: debugger launch is slow (cygwin, gdb, C++) [message #724444 is a reply to message #724247] Mon, 12 September 2011 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
In the debug launch config open the Source tab and remove default lookup path. Then add "Absolute File Path".
I guess gdb needs so much time because Eclipse sends him all the possible source lookup paths.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: debugger launch is slow (cygwin, gdb, C++) [message #724515 is a reply to message #724444] Mon, 12 September 2011 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I removed everything in the Source fane (Menu: Run-Debug Configuration) and added "Absolute File Path". Then it worked reasonable fast.
But then I had to add some "Path mappings" since my installation of Eclipse can't figure out to use /cygdrive/c/.. but requires C:\...
Here after it started to work slow again.
Re: debugger launch is slow (cygwin, gdb, C++) [message #724794 is a reply to message #724515] Tue, 13 September 2011 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
David wrote on Mon, 12 September 2011 16:04
I removed everything in the Source fane (Menu: Run-Debug Configuration) and added "Absolute File Path". Then it worked reasonable fast.
But then I had to add some "Path mappings" since my installation of Eclipse can't figure out to use /cygdrive/c/.. but requires C:\...
Here after it started to work slow again.

Can you update your Eclipse installation to Indigo? I am not sure but perhaps there are some bugfixed regarding this issue.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: debugger launch is slow (cygwin, gdb, C++) [message #725304 is a reply to message #724794] Wed, 14 September 2011 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Gvozdev is currently offline Andrew GvozdevFriend
Under cygwin, I am aware of 2 causes of slowness. One is that CDT could try to resolve paths using cygwin utility cygpath. Every time it stumble to a file it may try to run that program, in many cases the resolved paths are not cached in memory. The second cause is that lookup in $PATH is noticeable slow, so it contributes to the first cause or any other lookup of external program. Try to use absolute paths where you can control that.

Andrew
Re: debugger launch is slow (cygwin, gdb, C++) [message #899516 is a reply to message #724247] Wed, 01 August 2012 09:19 Go to previous message
Soumya Nelivigi is currently offline Soumya NelivigiFriend
Hello,
I am trying to debugg the CDT project in eclipse environment.
I am executing certain task at regular time interval(say 100ms).
Even though placing the breakpoint on the "task" ,it executes the tasks 20 times and then hits the breakpoint.
I am confused that why it is not recognising the breakpoint at starting itself.
Pls help me,i am new to eclipse.
Eclipse :Helioes
Debugger:GDB

Thanks in advance.
Previous Topic:Invalid arguments for Template typedef w/ CDT 8.1
Next Topic:weird 'xxx is ambiguous' semantic errors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:35:02 GMT 2024