Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Debug issues in Indigo/Glassfish 3.1.1 environment(Having trouble getting debugger to attach to the glassfish JVM and weird Debug Configuration dialog symptoms)
Debug issues in Indigo/Glassfish 3.1.1 environment [message #723839] Fri, 09 September 2011 16:17 Go to next message
John Panelli is currently offline John PanelliFriend
Enviroment: Eclipse Indigo with Glassfish 3.1.1 (running externally) and 64-bit JDK 6 u27

When I press the Debug icon in the Servers on my Glassfish 3.1.1 server, glassfish starts up ok, but the debugger never attaches to the JVM. The Debug view just shows "<terminated, exit value: 0>".

Also, when I view the Debug Configuration under "Glassfish Application Server", I get a NullPointerException dialog popping up (see attachment) and the Server dropdown is completely empty.

I can create a separate Remote Java Application debug configuration and connect to the JVM using that and it works fine, but that's painful to setup.

Question: Is anyone else seeing this? Any ideas for working around it (aside from doing the remote attach every time)?
Re: Debug issues in Indigo/Glassfish 3.1.1 environment [message #724233 is a reply to message #723839] Sun, 11 September 2011 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Panelli is currently offline John PanelliFriend
I found this to be a bug in the Eclipse Glassfish plugin. In my case, I was creating a domain using the following command:

asadmin --user "admin" create-domain --nopassword=true --portbase=8000 domain1

Because of the --portbase=8000, the debug port winds up on port 8009 instead of the default 9009. The Eclipse Glassfish plugin doesn't seem to pickup on this and can't deal with it. If I create the domain without --portbase=8000, the debug port uses it's default 9009 and all is good. Note that this also fixed a problem related to the JMX port. In that case, I was getting exceptions at startup having to do with JMX and those have now cleared as well.

So, I guess we have to use the default ports in our domains.

[Updated on: Sun, 11 September 2011 16:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Debug issues in Indigo/Glassfish 3.1.1 environment [message #726858 is a reply to message #723839] Mon, 19 September 2011 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gbarnard  is currently offline gbarnard Friend
Hey John. I too am having SEVERE problems trying to get Indigo to start Glassfish. Numerous fresh installs of both Eclipse and the plugin haven't helped me. I'm getting a NPE when I try to start glassfish 3.1.

BTW, I doubt the Eclipse folks will be able to help. Last time I reported an issue, they referred me to the Glassfish guys because they wrote the plugin. Been down over a month now....Ready to throw in the towel and go back to NetBeans.
Re: Debug issues in Indigo/Glassfish 3.1.1 environment [message #726900 is a reply to message #726858] Mon, 19 September 2011 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 19-Sep-11 12:11, gbarnard wrote:
> Hey John. I too am having SEVERE problems trying to get Indigo to start
> Glassfish. Numerous fresh installs of both Eclipse and the plugin
> haven't helped me. I'm getting a NPE when I try to start glassfish 3.1.
> BTW, I doubt the Eclipse folks will be able to help. Last time I
> reported an issue, they referred me to the Glassfish guys because they
> wrote the plugin. Been down over a month now....Ready to throw in the
> towel and go back to NetBeans.

Or, file a bug and go back to Helios until the problem works itself out?
Re: Debug issues in Indigo/Glassfish 3.1.1 environment [message #805916 is a reply to message #723839] Fri, 24 February 2012 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anthony Garratt is currently offline Anthony GarrattFriend
I dropped on this thread when failing to get debugging working between Glassfish 3.1.1 and Eclipse Indigo. The port number information set me looking for some domain config and I found the port numbering in my domain.xml file. Changing this config fixed it for me. So, changed:
<system-property name="JAVA_DEBUGGER_PORT" value="29009"></system-property>

to:
<system-property name="JAVA_DEBUGGER_PORT" value="9009"></system-property>

Debug seems to be working now. Posted for anyone else searching for it.
Re: Debug issues in Indigo/Glassfish 3.1.1 environment [message #1064937 is a reply to message #723839] Fri, 21 June 2013 17:38 Go to previous message
Greg Mising name is currently offline Greg Mising nameFriend
I have changed the Java Debug Port in the domain.xml file to 9009. Even changing this has not worked for me. Eclipse starts up in release mode even though I selected to start up in debug mode
Previous Topic:JSDT Extension to parse java script comments.
Next Topic:Validate WSDL Ant Task
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:53:48 GMT 2024