Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Connections to Informix DB are not reused (and not closed)
Connections to Informix DB are not reused (and not closed) [message #723046] Wed, 07 September 2011 14:00 Go to next message
meltie  is currently offline meltie Friend
Hi,

we use BIRT designer 2.6.1 to create our reports and deploy them to our JBoss 4.2.3.GA application server running our application and BIRT engine 3.7.

We have a complex report that needs to make a lot of queries (more than 50). When running this report on a MySQL DB, all queries use the same database connection. When running the report on an Informix DB, a new database connection is created for every query. After executing the queries the connections are not closed. Another report will reuse the open connections, but the connections are not reused from within the same report.

This behaviour is the same for both DB connections using URL and username/password and using JNDI.

I would like BIRT to reuse the existing database connections on Informix DB as it does on MySQL DB. Do you have an idea what causes this behaviour and how it can be fixed?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Regards,

meltie
Re: Connections to Informix DB are not reused (and not closed) [message #723585 is a reply to message #723046] Thu, 08 September 2011 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

Hi meltie,

So, when you use Informix you get a new connection for each dataSet whereas when you use MySQL, you don't? In both cases you're using a single dataSource? Is there any layout differences or is it the same report that is different for the two scenarios?

Regards,

Michael

http://www.birt-exchange.org

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: Connections to Informix DB are not reused (and not closed) [message #723691 is a reply to message #723585] Fri, 09 September 2011 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael,

thanks for your reply. It is the exact same report.

In the report there is one datasource and six datasets. The datasets are each used several times within the report with different filters (the complexity of the report made it hard to do all the required filtering within the query). If a dataset is reused within a report, the database is queried once for each use, which is AFAIK normal BIRT behaviour. But on MySQL, only one connection is created and reused for all these queries, while on Informix, a seperate connection is created for each query.

Do you have any idea what causes this behaviour?

Thanks and regards,

meltie
Re: Connections to Informix DB are not reused (and not closed) [message #723787 is a reply to message #723691] Fri, 09 September 2011 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

I have not heard of this issue before. Let me ask around and see if anyone else has. I did a quick web search with no luck. I'll let you know.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: Connections to Informix DB are not reused (and not closed) [message #724472 is a reply to message #723787] Mon, 12 September 2011 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you very much, Michael. I found nothing on the web either.
Re: Connections to Informix DB are not reused (and not closed) [message #724555 is a reply to message #724472] Mon, 12 September 2011 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

You may need to open a bugzilla entry for this. Are you using standard
jdbc connection in BIRT or connection profile? Are you sure JNDI is setup.

Jason

On 9/12/2011 8:43 AM, meltie wrote:
> Thank you very much, Michael. I found nothing on the web either.
Re: Connections to Informix DB are not reused (and not closed) [message #724835 is a reply to message #724555] Tue, 13 September 2011 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Jason,

thanks for your reply.

As I wrote above, the behaviour is the same for both JNDI and standard JDBC connections. I am sure I used JNDI because I tested this and used a datasource configuration that only had the JNDI URL and no other connection data (to make sure there would be no fallback to JDBC connection), and vice versa for JDBC connections. I did numerous test with different datasource configurations and JNDI datasource options and the behaviour was always the same on Informix. I also tried different database drivers and such, with always the same result.

Regards,

meltie

[Updated on: Tue, 13 September 2011 10:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Connections to Informix DB are not reused (and not closed) [message #725025 is a reply to message #724835] Tue, 13 September 2011 18:13 Go to previous message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

Can you open a bugzilla entry for this?

Jason

On 9/13/2011 6:19 AM, meltie wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> thanks for your reply.
> As I wrote above, the behaviour is the same for both JNDI and standard
> JDBC connections. I am sure I used JNDI because I tested this and used a
> datasource configuration that only had the JNDI URL and no other
> connection data (to make sure there would be no fallback to JDBC
> connection). I did numerous test with different datasource
> configurations and JNDI datasource options and the behaviour was always
> the same on Informix.
> Regards,
>
> meltie
Previous Topic:REST Web Services
Next Topic:Can I use Eclipse BIRT for SugarCRM?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:59:33 GMT 2024