Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Keyboard shortcut for Exit menuItem in RCP not behaving consistently across locale(Keyboard shortcut for Exit menuItem in RCP not behaving consistently across locale)
Keyboard shortcut for Exit menuItem in RCP not behaving consistently across locale [message #722576] Tue, 06 September 2011 08:55
Shankar Ramachandran is currently offline Shankar RamachandranFriend
I am newbie in Eclipse RCP and had designed a simple Eclipse RCP Application and got it translated in different locales.

For the menuContribution called File->Exit, I had used the '&' character for specifying the shortcuts and had done similarly in other language properties files for the corresponding shortcuts to work.

I had used the commandID as org.eclipse.ui.file.exit for this and hadn't implemented any functionality on my own.

When I got the strings translated and integrate with the tool, I found that for German the word 'Beenden' was getting displayed in the menu as '&Beenden' and the shortcut Alt+B was not working. But the expected behavior was that it displays 'Beenden' and Alt+B works as the shortcut for the same.

While for all other menuContributions (Help->About Dialog) for example, it is working as expected, discarding the '&' symbol while displaying and using Alt+char after & as the shortcut. Even in german locale for other menu contributions it is working in the right manner expcept for 'Beenden'. Can someone explain me why this is the case or whether this is a defect? I had used Eclipse 3.6.2 but I am sure even the higher versions will show this behavior.

I had used messages.properties files for English values and messages_de.properties for German locale. Please let me know if any more information is required to help me understand this better.

Thanks
Previous Topic:Help menu in RCP application not displaying
Next Topic:platform-p2repo for Indigo release
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:59:41 GMT 2024