Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » ServletBridge Enterprise Ready?(Understanding servletbridge in the enterprise)
ServletBridge Enterprise Ready? [message #722446] Mon, 05 September 2011 19:42 Go to next message
Jonathan  is currently offline Jonathan Friend
I'm trying to understand and evaluate the servlet bridge and can't seem to find adequate feedback on servletbridge in practice. While the concepts of OSGI are great and address many problems in terms of portability of application code in a J2EE application server, I have some confusion on a couple things.

1. Googling I've found two variations of the servletbridge project. The eclipse equinox implements a servlet which manages the OSGI environment under the application context root by default. I've found a version that uses a ServletFilter and several proposals of a servlet filter. Is there uncertainty on how exactly to implement the concept of the servlet bridge?

2. Using the servletbridge seems to make a lot of assumptions on resolving and manually starting up modules from a console. It seems to tightly couple the developer to their applications (not typical in J2EE large enterprise). Applications remain in "RESOLVED" state and need to be manually started up. Any proposals on how to force new bundles to autostart in bridgeservlet and how an application server administrator would manage an OSGI app?

Thanks, any feedback would be great.

P.S. Has anyone had any success on using the bridgeservlet in an enterprise application? I've had an opportunity to use IBM's JAZZ and they seem to incorporate OSGI into their application architecture (although now I think they have a hybrid architecture with REST, WebFragments, and OSGI).
Re: ServletBridge Enterprise Ready? [message #870841 is a reply to message #722446] Wed, 09 May 2012 20:45 Go to previous message
Libor Jelinek is currently offline Libor JelinekFriend

Hi Jonathan,
it's already a long time ago you placed question above. Nowadays I am in the similar situation and evaluating OSGi bundle-based servlet webapps. Servletbridge and whole http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/server/ website seems outdated and maybe somehow retired (lot of links is invalid, texts look like a early draft...).

How did you finally manage it? Can you share with me your evaluation results?
Previous Topic:OSGI bundle start fail,erro:java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.xml.sax.EntityResolver
Next Topic:Plugins IU directly in category.xml
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:05:12 GMT 2024