Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Memory Analyzer » Full memory usage
Full memory usage [message #721246] Thu, 01 September 2011 09:13 Go to next message
Tom  is currently offline Tom Friend
Hi,

I've already done the heap dump of my Android application with DDMS, converted it and loaded it into MAT.

My question is where can I find the information of the full(The memory that will be freed when i close it) memory usage by my application?

Is it "Biggest Objects by retained Size"?

Thanks, Tom
Re: Full memory usage [message #907117 is a reply to message #721246] Mon, 03 September 2012 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henning Tegner is currently offline Henning TegnerFriend
This message is pretty old, but any chance you found the answer to your question through other means than this forum?

I think I'm looking for the same as you. I want the "true" memory usage of my app at any point in time. My methodology is to create a hprof dump file for the time when I want to measure usage, then load it into MAT. A lot of useful features for finding memory leaks/problems, but no obvious way of getting the retained size of all gc roots.

Henning
Re: Full memory usage [message #907139 is a reply to message #907117] Mon, 03 September 2012 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think I've found the answer. If you look in the MAT manual under configuration, you can see there is an option to keep unreachable objects which is unticked, which means by default MAT discards unreachable objects while parsing the dump. Hence the size shown on the overview tab is the number I want. The true memory consumption of the app at the time of the dump.

Seems like such an important point to know about that it would be useful to include it in the FAQ!
Re: Full memory usage [message #907165 is a reply to message #907139] Mon, 03 September 2012 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Johnson is currently offline Andrew JohnsonFriend
Quote:
Seems like such an important point to know about that it would be useful to include it in the FAQ!

Keep unreachable objects is already in the FAQ.
Re: Full memory usage [message #907170 is a reply to message #907165] Mon, 03 September 2012 12:56 Go to previous message
I did read this in the FAQ, but that was not my point.

There's a slight cognitive leap from knowing that MAT filters out unreachable objects to knowing that the headline number displayed on the overview tab is the retained size of all gc roots. (I still don't know this for a fact, because nobody's given a definitive reply to the original message. I'm just assuming.)
Previous Topic:How to analyze the leak occur for the problem of android dalikvm GREF
Next Topic:Unable to Open Heap Dump
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:20:05 GMT 2024