Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Extending content assistance of WTP's XML editor(AbstractXMLCompletionProposalComputer)
Extending content assistance of WTP's XML editor [message #720904] Wed, 31 August 2011 13:06 Go to next message
Roded Bahat is currently offline Roded BahatFriend
Hello,
I'm trying to develop an Eclipse plugin which will extend Web Tool's XML Editor's content assistance in order to allow auto-completion of attribute values in XML files (a modest goal to begin with..).

So I've created a plugin which extends
org.eclipse.wst.sse.ui.completionProposal
, and managed to get completion proposals working with my own simple and unfeatured proposal computer.
Thing is, I'm not very keen on implementing a whole XML framework to determine where in the XML document the content assist was invoked, especially when the following class exists:
org.eclipse.wst.xml.ui.internal.contentassist.AbstractXMLCompletionProposalComputer

Unfortunately, it's not an available for plugin developers to extend.

I found this bug directly relating to the subject:
http s://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=310696
(cannot post links yet..)

Is there maybe a better way to accomplish this? Or anyway around this issue till the "bug" is fixed?
And also, a patch was created to resolve the bug. The contributor mentions targeting for the next milestone suitable milestone. Is it reasonable to apply the patch locally and to start developing the plugin?

Would appreciate any input or help with the matter.
Thanks a lot,
Roded

[Updated on: Thu, 01 September 2011 07:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Extending content assistance of WTP's XML editor [message #721551 is a reply to message #720904] Fri, 02 September 2011 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MarcoGT  is currently offline MarcoGT Friend
I am working on the same subject.
What I did so far is to edit directly Eclipse source code...this is not the best choice of course, but if no API are available...
Re: Extending content assistance of WTP's XML editor [message #721700 is a reply to message #720904] Fri, 02 September 2011 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Sandonato is currently offline Nick SandonatoFriend
Roded wrote on Wed, 31 August 2011 09:06

I found this bug directly relating to the subject:
http s://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=310696
(cannot post links yet..)

Is there maybe a better way to accomplish this? Or anyway around this issue till the "bug" is fixed?
And also, a patch was created to resolve the bug. The contributor mentions targeting for the next milestone suitable milestone. Is it reasonable to apply the patch locally and to start developing the plugin?

Would appreciate any input or help with the matter.
Thanks a lot,
Roded

Hi Roded,

Unfortunately, the patch as it is still utilizes internal classes as parameters (org.eclipse.wst.xml.ui.internal.contentassist.ContentAssistRequest) so it can't be used as API. So the patch will need some more work. There aren't any real work arounds to utilizing the functionality without using internals at the moment.

[Updated on: Fri, 02 September 2011 15:52]

Re: Extending content assistance of WTP's XML editor [message #721731 is a reply to message #721700] Fri, 02 September 2011 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roded Bahat is currently offline Roded BahatFriend
Nick, do you perhaps have an estimation as to when the bug is planned for?

Thanks for the replies & the work.
Roded

[Updated on: Fri, 02 September 2011 18:18]

Re: Extending content assistance of WTP's XML editor [message #722835 is a reply to message #721731] Tue, 06 September 2011 21:12 Go to previous message
Nick Sandonato is currently offline Nick SandonatoFriend
Hi Roded,

The earliest we would be able to get to it is for Juno. You're welcome, though I wish I had better--or more--news.
Previous Topic:Adding New Servers types error: Executable commandline is unspecified
Next Topic:Add text field to XPath View
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:22:22 GMT 2024