Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Linux Tools Project » libhover install problem
libhover install problem [message #719730] Sun, 28 August 2011 17:05 Go to next message
Mike Dannhardt is currently offline Mike DannhardtFriend
I am trying to install and use libhover for C/C++. I have CDT installed and operational.

I am trying to install from:
Linux Tools - http -> download.eclipse.org/technology/linuxtools/update
(I can not include a link above or my post fails with an error)

From the Install dialog I expand 'Linux Tools' and select:
"C/C++ Library API Documentation Hover Help" It shows it is version 0.3.0.201106060936

Next->Finish. No error messages. Software Updates suggests restarting which I do.

Eclipse restarts. I select my workspace. I open:
Window->Preferences and click on Library Hover. now I see a "Problem Occurred" dialog which says:
"Unable to create the selected preference page.
An error occurred while automatically activating bundle org.eclipse.linuxtools.cdt.libhover (246)."

Note: The number (error number?) has been incrementing each time I try it. I've tried three times, I think the first time it was 240, then it was 243 and now 246.

In the error log I've got two messages logged. One is the one from the dialog I detailed above and the top one (most recent I assume) says:
"Unable to create the selected preference page."

The event details list the exception stack trace which is quite long however scrolling down I see the following lines which might be relevant:

... 78 more
Root exception:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.eclipse.core.resources.IWorkspace.addSaveParticipant(Ljava/lang/String;Lorg/eclipse/core/resources/ISaveParticipant;)Lorg/eclipse/core/resources/ISavedState;
at org.eclipse.linuxtools.cdt.libhover.LibhoverPlugin.start(LibhoverPlugin.java:54)

My installation notes:
Eclipse SDK:
Version: 3.5.2
Build id: M20100211-1343

Eclipse Platform:
Version: 3.5.2.R35x_v20100210-0800-9rEiGCsFsyl-eb_MRuv-z0w7i95qa1clI7JHF7

Feature:
Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment
Version: 3.5.2.R35x_v20100119-7Z7aFA2FC_xZVGWRoQA0wyqufobo

Eclipse C/C++ Development Tools:
Version: 6.0.2.201002161416
Build id: 201002161416

So... Can anyone offer any help? I wonder if maybe the version of libhover is correct for my version of Eclipse/CDT?

This is my first post here. I hope I've done it correctly. I assume I'll get email notices on responses?

Thanks,
Mike

[Updated on: Sun, 28 August 2011 17:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: libhover install problem [message #720044 is a reply to message #719730] Mon, 29 August 2011 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Johnston is currently offline Jeff JohnstonFriend
The problem is that the current libhover plug-in is too new for the level of Eclipse platform you are currently using and it is missing a minimum release value for one of its dependencies that would have prevented you from installing it. I would suggest you update your Eclipse to at least Helios (3.6) and use CDT 7.0 and would recommend you consider upgrading to Indigo (3.7) and CDT 8.0 as there have been multiple enhancements and bug fixes. Your other choice is to uninstall libhover and then find an older version of it from the archived downloads for linux tools.

For your version of Eclipse I might suggest you try:

http://download.eclipse.org/technology/linuxtools/update-0.7 (which is one level before the fix that is causing you the issue) and if that doesn't work,

http://download.eclipse.org/technology/linuxtools/update-0.5.1 (which is the version used in F13 with the level of Eclipse you have)
Re: libhover install problem [message #720046 is a reply to message #720044] Mon, 29 August 2011 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike Dannhardt is currently offline Mike DannhardtFriend
Jeff,

Thank you so much. I had a sneaky feeling that might be the issue. I've bookmarked instructions on how to upgrade Eclipse and CDT since it doesn't look like it is an easy one-click type procedure. (if you've got a recommended url for instructions I'd welcome it).

I was sort of hesitating upgrading because with the exception of the hover over everything has been working wonderfully.

Again, thank you for your thoughts and especially the links.

Sincerely,
Mike
Re: libhover install problem [message #720514 is a reply to message #720046] Tue, 30 August 2011 18:35 Go to previous message
Jeff Johnston is currently offline Jeff JohnstonFriend
Mike,

If you are using Eclipse downloaded from Eclipse.org, it is relatively straightforward for you to safely upgrade. Simply, download the newer version of the SDK and start installing the various plug-ins you already have in your current working Eclipse. Many should be available from the default download site (e.g. for Helios, there is a helios site, for Indigo, there is an Indigo update site). You can also download an EPP (pre-packaged Eclipse with various plug-ins already in place), but doing it yourself is much more flexible if you want to upgrade further or try out bleeding edge stuff from nightly update sites.

You can then play around a bit with a brand new workspace and decide for yourself if it is suitable for your needs. There are lots of fixes and enhancements in the later releases and it is better to simply not run into a bug than to do the work to track it down and find out it has been fixed all along in a later release. I will confirm that the CDT indexing support is constantly being improved across releases and there is also the new CODAN support which does minor error checking without having to build. There is also multi-threaded debugging support added in the CDT.

Your old Eclipse is still around and can be used if need be. If you run into a snag, you can export a patch from your new workspace to apply to your old workspace or if you are using a Team repository you can simply check-in changes from your new workspace so they can be checked out in the old one. As mentioned, it can be a very safe transition.

If you are using Fedora, well then that's a different story as you will have to upgrade the Fedora release itself to be able to upgrade your Eclipse. I would seriously advise you to upgrade your Fedora release anyway as the one you are using (F13 or lower) is no longer maintained so it is in your long-term best interest to get it done.

For upgrading Fedora, see:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum

and

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_PreUpgrade
Previous Topic:oprofile: hangs on Parsing OProfile Data
Next Topic:Eclipse fails to launch following upgrade to 3.6.1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:29:32 GMT 2024