Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Rational v7 --> Eclipse Indigo
Rational v7 --> Eclipse Indigo [message #719251] Fri, 26 August 2011 14:05 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: Fred Chateau

Hi,

I have a licensed copy of IBM Rational v7. I was wondering if I could move those classes to Eclipse Indigo and use
Rational Developer in the new Indigo IDE. I'm particularly concerned about access to the IBM WebSphere v6.1 connector.

I moved the classes over, and I can see them in the Preferences/Update window, as jar files, but they are not accessible
in the IDE. When I run Update Software or Install New Software from the Help menu, it returns a dialog reporting some of
the update sites did not work properly.

I assume some sort of manual registration is necessary. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Regards,

Fred Chateau

Email: fchateauAtComcastDotNet
Re: Rational v7 --> Eclipse Indigo [message #720037 is a reply to message #719251] Mon, 29 August 2011 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
If I understand correctly, you're trying to run Rational
plugins/features on an installation of Eclipse Indigo.
That's just not gonna work. The Rational products are heavily integrated
with the version of Eclipse platform that they're built on; in fact,
last time I looked they even modified certain core Eclipse plugins. It's
not likely that Rational plugins can just be moved over to another
version of Eclipse.
In any case, the question would be one for IBM or Rational product
support, not eclipse.org

Eric

On 8/26/11 10:05 AM, Fred Chateau wrote:
> Hi,
>
>
> I have a licensed copy of IBM Rational v7. I was wondering if I could move those classes to Eclipse Indigo and use
> Rational Developer in the new Indigo IDE. I'm particularly concerned about access to the IBM WebSphere v6.1 connector.
>
> I moved the classes over, and I can see them in the Preferences/Update window, as jar files, but they are not accessible
> in the IDE. When I run Update Software or Install New Software from the Help menu, it returns a dialog reporting some of
> the update sites did not work properly.
>
> I assume some sort of manual registration is necessary. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
>
>
> Regards,
>
>
> Fred Chateau
>
> Email: fchateauAtComcastDotNet
>
>
>
Re: Rational v7 --> Eclipse Indigo [message #720146 is a reply to message #720037] Mon, 29 August 2011 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend

I was sorta' thinking Rational is built on top of Eclipse. So, you could just change the IDE and keep the stuff on top
of it.

Anyway, I thought it might be a way to get to learn more about how the Rational/Eclipse system is stitched together,
while getting a new IDE in the process.

Thanks for saving me hours of work trying to do something that's not feasible. I guess I'll find another, easier project
to learn more about Eclipse.

Regards,

Fred

"Eric Rizzo" <eclipse-bugs@rizzoweb.com> wrote in message news:j3gj38$fjj$1@news.eclipse.org...
> If I understand correctly, you're trying to run Rational plugins/features on an installation of Eclipse Indigo.
> That's just not gonna work. The Rational products are heavily integrated with the version of Eclipse platform that
> they're built on; in fact, last time I looked they even modified certain core Eclipse plugins. It's not likely that
> Rational plugins can just be moved over to another version of Eclipse.
> In any case, the question would be one for IBM or Rational product support, not eclipse.org
>
> Eric
>
>
> On 8/26/11 10:05 AM, Fred Chateau wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>> I have a licensed copy of IBM Rational v7. I was wondering if I could move those classes to Eclipse Indigo and use
>> Rational Developer in the new Indigo IDE. I'm particularly concerned about access to the IBM WebSphere v6.1
>> connector.
>>
>> I moved the classes over, and I can see them in the Preferences/Update window, as jar files, but they are not
>> accessible
>> in the IDE. When I run Update Software or Install New Software from the Help menu, it returns a dialog reporting some
>> of
>> the update sites did not work properly.
>>
>> I assume some sort of manual registration is necessary. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>
>> Fred Chateau
>>
>> Email: fchateauAtComcastDotNet
>>
>>
>>
>
Re: Rational v7 --&gt; Eclipse Indigo [message #720147 is a reply to message #720037] Mon, 29 August 2011 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend

I was sorta' thinking Rational is built on top of Eclipse. So, you could just change the IDE and keep the stuff on top
of it.

Anyway, I thought it might be a way to get to learn more about how the Rational/Eclipse system is stitched together,
while getting a new IDE in the process.

Thanks for saving me hours of work trying to do something that's not feasible. I guess I'll find another, easier project
to learn more about Eclipse.

Regards,

Fred

"Eric Rizzo" <eclipse-bugs@rizzoweb.com> wrote in message news:j3gj38$fjj$1@news.eclipse.org...
> If I understand correctly, you're trying to run Rational plugins/features on an installation of Eclipse Indigo.
> That's just not gonna work. The Rational products are heavily integrated with the version of Eclipse platform that
> they're built on; in fact, last time I looked they even modified certain core Eclipse plugins. It's not likely that
> Rational plugins can just be moved over to another version of Eclipse.
> In any case, the question would be one for IBM or Rational product support, not eclipse.org
>
> Eric
>
>
> On 8/26/11 10:05 AM, Fred Chateau wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>> I have a licensed copy of IBM Rational v7. I was wondering if I could move those classes to Eclipse Indigo and use
>> Rational Developer in the new Indigo IDE. I'm particularly concerned about access to the IBM WebSphere v6.1
>> connector.
>>
>> I moved the classes over, and I can see them in the Preferences/Update window, as jar files, but they are not
>> accessible
>> in the IDE. When I run Update Software or Install New Software from the Help menu, it returns a dialog reporting some
>> of
>> the update sites did not work properly.
>>
>> I assume some sort of manual registration is necessary. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>
>> Fred Chateau
>>
>> Email: fchateauAtComcastDotNet
>>
>>
>>
>
Re: Rational v7 --&gt; Eclipse Indigo [message #720405 is a reply to message #720146] Tue, 30 August 2011 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
On 8/29/11 7:49 PM, Fred Chateau wrote:
> I was sorta' thinking Rational is built on top of Eclipse. So, you could just change the IDE and keep the stuff on top
> of it.
>
> Anyway, I thought it might be a way to get to learn more about how the Rational/Eclipse system is stitched together,
> while getting a new IDE in the process.
>
> Thanks for saving me hours of work trying to do something that's not feasible. I guess I'll find another, easier project
> to learn more about Eclipse.

If it were almost any other set of plugins besides Rational, it wouldn't
be a bad idea. But Rational is a somewhat unique beast in that it's
intertwined in nasty ways (at least it used to be when I last looked,
about 2 years ago). It's not all structured in a well-behaved way as far
as the Eclipse architecture is concerned; I think it even requires a
custom IBM JVM in order to run. And like I said, it overrides some core
Eclipse platform plugins - ick!

If you tell us more specifically what you're trying to learn, we might
be able to provide some direction and/or pointers.

Eric
Re: Rational v7 --&gt; Eclipse Indigo [message #721132 is a reply to message #720405] Wed, 31 August 2011 23:37 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend

Actually, I don't think I know enough to know what I need to learn.

Having worked as a .NET C# developer for over 12 years, I suddenly find myself in a J2EE WebSphere environment. Oh, and
a Ext.JS/Sencha-Touch front end.

I've been here over a month now, and I'm amazed I'm doing as well as I am. Everything is so new and foreign to me.

Well, at least Java and C# seem to have something in common...

So, it seems to me that knowing everything about the IDE I'm working with all day is a good place to start, but I'm open
to suggestions. What do you think I need to know and how best to learn it?

Regards,

Fred Chateau

"Eric Rizzo" <eclipse-bugs@rizzoweb.com> wrote in message news:j3iqp4$q51$1@news.eclipse.org...
> On 8/29/11 7:49 PM, Fred Chateau wrote:
>> I was sorta' thinking Rational is built on top of Eclipse. So, you could just change the IDE and keep the stuff on
>> top
>> of it.
>>
>> Anyway, I thought it might be a way to get to learn more about how the Rational/Eclipse system is stitched together,
>> while getting a new IDE in the process.
>>
>> Thanks for saving me hours of work trying to do something that's not feasible. I guess I'll find another, easier
>> project
>> to learn more about Eclipse.
>
> If it were almost any other set of plugins besides Rational, it wouldn't be a bad idea. But Rational is a somewhat
> unique beast in that it's intertwined in nasty ways (at least it used to be when I last looked, about 2 years ago).
> It's not all structured in a well-behaved way as far as the Eclipse architecture is concerned; I think it even
> requires a custom IBM JVM in order to run. And like I said, it overrides some core Eclipse platform plugins - ick!
>
> If you tell us more specifically what you're trying to learn, we might be able to provide some direction and/or
> pointers.
>
> Eric
Previous Topic:Can't activate breakpoint in Eclipse under Windows (Video)
Next Topic:How to set time interval for Refresh Automatically?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:37:17 GMT 2024