Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » JList data binding not working.(when creating a data bind....)
JList data binding not working. [message #717333] Sat, 20 August 2011 02:30 Go to next message
joe  is currently offline joe Friend
so I created a JList component and a simple "add user" button and the username text input field.

I right click on JList and add self to Users.people and detail binding on Person.username;

public class Users {
	public List<Person> people = new ArrayList<Person>();

public List<Person> getPeople() {
		return people;
	}
	public void addPerson(Person person) {
		people.add(person);
	}
}

public class Person {

public String username ="";
public String location ="";

public Person(String name){
			username = name;
		}

public String getUsername() {
			return username;
		}
}

so on "add user" button click:

actionPerformed(){
users.addPerson(new Person("Jim"));
}

The code runs, and I click on the "Add user" button. I output the size() of people array, and it's increasing, but nothing is being updated on the JList component. I expected it to fill up with "Jim"s but it didn't happen.

I spent days on this and can't find out what is being wrong or what I am overlooking.
Re: JList data binding not working. [message #717337 is a reply to message #717333] Sat, 20 August 2011 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
Looks to me like your addPerson() method isn't firing any property change event. Unless you do that, the JList and the Data Binding framework itself have no idea that you have added anything. I would recommend reviewing the JFace Data Binding docs as the framework imposes specific requirements on any domain objects that you use.

In general, questions about how to use the JFace Data Binding framework should be posted to the Eclipse JFace Forum.
Re: JList data binding not working. [message #717365 is a reply to message #717337] Sat, 20 August 2011 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joe  is currently offline joe Friend
Eric Clayberg wrote on Fri, 19 August 2011 23:04
Looks to me like your addPerson() method isn't firing any property change event. Unless you do that, the JList and the Data Binding framework itself have no idea that you have added anything. I would recommend reviewing the JFace Data Binding docs as the framework imposes specific requirements on any domain objects that you use.

In general, questions about how to use the JFace Data Binding framework should be posted to the Eclipse JFace Forum.[/url]

Hello Eric,

I just began using Window Builder, followed the data binding tutorial for Swing.

Do I need to manually write the property change events? I thought WindowBuilder would generate that automatically.....

Where is the package? Can I just follow what the tutorial is doing? I will try that anyhow.

Now, I have no clue what JFace is....should I be using that instead of Swing? I thought Swing was the way to go if you wanted it to work without extra library packaging. But I am actually deploying via .jnlp file.

When I
public class Person extends ModelObject
on Person class, it will not detect the package. Eclipse is telling me to create ModelObject....I am following the guide here

wiki.eclipse.org/JFace_Data_Binding/Tutorial

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Joe.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 August 2011 07:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: JList data binding not working. [message #717412 is a reply to message #717365] Sat, 20 August 2011 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are doing Swing Data Binding, the same advice applies...you need to review the requirements of the Swing Data Binding Framework with respect to domain objects (they are basically the same as for JFace Data Binding). This forum is not the place to learn that framework. WindowBuilder assumes that you are already familiar with it.

And, no, it is not WindowBuilder's job to add code to trigger property change events in your domain objects. WindowBuilder is responsible for generating the data binding code in your UI class. Your domain classes are your responsibility. You can certainly use the code provided with the tutorial as that is complete and includes a complete set of domain objects (including Person).
Re: JList data binding not working. [message #775151 is a reply to message #717412] Thu, 05 January 2012 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
santosh guptha is currently offline santosh gupthaFriend
This is related to Swing Binding example,

I did the binding between text fields and table, but when I select a row on the table, the text fields are not not getting updated, Do I need to add any code for the source ?? If yes, Please let me know where to add that.

I am trying to develop the same application that was given in SwingBinding tutorial,

I spent 3 days on this, till now I didn't get any answer to it.

Please help me on this.

Thanks in advance.

• Attachment: second.jpg
    (Size: 183.88KB, Downloaded 321 times)
  • Attachment: Frst.png
    (Size: 510.67KB, Downloaded 337 times)
Re: JList data binding not working. [message #775186 is a reply to message #775151] Thu, 05 January 2012 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have not provided any example code, so how could I possibly know what code you might be missing?

Full source code is provided with the Swing Data Binding example, so why not just take a look at that?
Re: JList data binding not working. [message #775504 is a reply to message #775186] Fri, 06 January 2012 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
santosh guptha is currently offline santosh gupthaFriend
I had seen the source code, the problem is there is no documentation for the code to understand why he wrote AbstractModelObject class, And I don't know about firepropertychange method. To bind table's parameter to textfield do I need to write this method ??

However as per my knowledge, when the table fields table fields are getting populated the binded textfields should also get populated as I did binding through binding tab. Am I wrong ?? Please let me know.

Re: JList data binding not working. [message #775699 is a reply to message #775504] Fri, 06 January 2012 14:42 Go to previous message
I can't tell you what is wrong with your code without actually seeing it. From your comments, all I can do is guess that your domain objects don't meet the requirements of the Swing Data Binding Framework (JSR 295). Your domain objects are your responsibility while WindowBuilder is only responsible for generating the data binding code in your UI class. If you aren't understanding the domain objects provided with the tutorial, you should review the requirements of the Swing Data Binding Framework with respect to domain objects. This forum is not the place to learn that framework or ask general questions about it. WindowBuilder assumes that you are already familiar with it, so one suggestion is to build a small example by hand so that you understand it from start to finish. You can certainly start with the code provided in the tutorial as that is complete and includes a complete set of domain objects (including an AbstractModelObject you can use as the parent for your domain object classes).
Previous Topic:JFace
Next Topic:Databinding for an Enumeration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 11:18:27 GMT 2024