Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » M2M (model-to-model transformation) » [ATL] editing Models
[ATL] editing Models [message #75715] Tue, 04 March 2008 16:27 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: a.kenzi.yahoo.fr

Hello,
I’m new in using ATL language. I want to use this language in order to
defining transformation rules targeting a web service platform. To this
end I created an input metamodel and I Defined some transformation rules
in order to generate A WSDL file. I Created the Metamodels using KM3,
but the problem is how to edit the models that conform to the input
metamodel . In some papers, they use Poseidon for editing the models and
they generates A XMI files. But this approach ( according to some
friends) introduces a compatibility problem. in others work they use Ecore
to edit models.
what is the best way to creat the input models that conform to the input
metamodels.
Best regards.
Adil
Re: [ATL][AM3] editing Models [message #75826 is a reply to message #75715] Wed, 05 March 2008 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: quentin.glineur.obeo.fr

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------010408090109010101080508
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Hi Adil,

This problem is not related to ATL but to KM3, that's why I have added
it to the GMT newsgroup.

Regards

adil a écrit :
> Hello,
> I�m new in using ATL language. I want to use this language in order to
> defining transformation rules targeting a web service platform. To
> this end I created an input metamodel and I Defined some
> transformation rules in order to generate A WSDL file. I Created the
> Metamodels using KM3, but the problem is how to edit the models that
> conform to the input metamodel . In some papers, they use Poseidon
> for editing the models and they generates A XMI files. But this
> approach ( according to some friends) introduces a compatibility
> problem. in others work they use Ecore to edit models.
> what is the best way to creat the input models that conform to the input
> metamodels.
> Best regards.
> Adil


--------------010408090109010101080508
Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=utf-8;
name="quentin_glineur.vcf"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
filename="quentin_glineur.vcf"

YmVnaW46dmNhcmQNCmZuOlF1ZW50aW4gR0xJTkVVUg0KbjpHTElORVVSO1F1 ZW50aW4NCm9y
ZzpPYmVvIC0gTW9kZWwgRHJpdmVuIENvbXBhbnk7UmVzZWFyY2ggYW5kIERl dmVsb3BtZW50
DQphZHI7cXVvdGVkLXByaW50YWJsZTo7OzIgcnVlIFJvYmVydCBTY2h1bWFu bjtSZXo9QzM9
QTk7OzQ0NDAwO0ZyYW5jZQ0KZW1haWw7aW50ZXJuZXQ6cXVlbnRpbi5nbGlu ZXVyQG9iZW8u
ZnINCnRpdGxlOk1EQSBDb25zdWx0YW50DQp0ZWw7d29yazorMzMyIDUxIDEz IDU0IDE4DQp4
LW1vemlsbGEtaHRtbDpUUlVFDQp1cmw6aHR0cDovL3d3dy5vYmVvLmZyDQp2 ZXJzaW9uOjIu
MQ0KZW5kOnZjYXJkDQoNCg==
--------------010408090109010101080508--
Re: [ATL][AM3] editing Models [message #75843 is a reply to message #75826] Wed, 05 March 2008 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freddy Allilaire is currently offline Freddy AllilaireFriend
Messages: 130
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Adil,

You may take a look to the following FAQ entry:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/ATL_FAQ#How_to_create_a_terminal_mod el.3F

HTH.

Regards,
Freddy.

Quentin Glineur a écrit :
> Hi Adil,
>
> This problem is not related to ATL but to KM3, that's why I have added
> it to the GMT newsgroup.
>
> Regards
>
> adil a écrit :
>> Hello,
>> I�m new in using ATL language. I want to use this language in order to
>> defining transformation rules targeting a web service platform. To
>> this end I created an input metamodel and I Defined some
>> transformation rules in order to generate A WSDL file. I Created
>> the Metamodels using KM3, but the problem is how to edit the models
>> that conform to the input metamodel . In some papers, they use
>> Poseidon for editing the models and they generates A XMI files. But
>> this approach ( according to some friends) introduces a compatibility
>> problem. in others work they use Ecore to edit models.
>> what is the best way to creat the input models that conform to the
>> input metamodels.
>> Best regards.
>> Adil
>
Re: [ATL][AM3] editing Models [message #76222 is a reply to message #75843] Tue, 11 March 2008 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: a.kenzi.yahoo.fr

Hello,
I tested the creation of models according to their metamodels using the
EMF Generated Editor. To this end, I used the Families.ecore metamodel (
the example Provided With ATL_UML2_Bundle_2.0.0RC2_Windows ) and I want
Create a model that conforms to "Families.ecore". So, With a right click
on the Families.ecore metamodel, I Point (New > Other... Eclipse Modeling
Framework> but I can't generate the genmodel file. In the Step "Ecore
Import", When I click the load button, I have the message " problems were
detected while validating and converting the ecore models".
how I can resolve this problem?
best regards,
Adil.
Re: [ATL][AM3] editing Models [message #76270 is a reply to message #76222] Wed, 12 March 2008 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freddy Allilaire is currently offline Freddy AllilaireFriend
Messages: 130
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------030309060608040703010303
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-15; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Hi Adil,

"Families" metamodel misses some required fields (if you click on
"Details" button, you will see the list of problems).

"Ns Prefix" and "Ns URI" properties of root packages (Families &
PrimitiveTypes) should be answered.
"Instance Type Name" property (and maybe Instance Class Name) of String
DataType should also be answered.

Regards,
Freddy.

adil a
Re: [ATL][AM3] editing Models [message #76323 is a reply to message #76270] Wed, 12 March 2008 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frédéric Jouault is currently offline Frédéric JouaultFriend
Messages: 572
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hello,

I just wanted to precise that the Families metamodel lacks some fields
required for code generation, but does not lack any field for usage as a
metamodel.


Regards,

Frédéric Jouault

Freddy Allilaire a écrit :
> Hi Adil,
>
> "Families" metamodel misses some required fields (if you click on
> "Details" button, you will see the list of problems).
>
> "Ns Prefix" and "Ns URI" properties of root packages (Families &
> PrimitiveTypes) should be answered.
> "Instance Type Name" property (and maybe Instance Class Name) of String
> DataType should also be answered.
>
> Regards,
> Freddy.
>
> adil a écrit :
>> Hello,
>> I tested the creation of models according to their metamodels using
>> the EMF Generated Editor. To this end, I used the Families.ecore
>> metamodel ( the example Provided With ATL_UML2_Bundle_2.0.0RC2_Windows
>> ) and I want Create a model that conforms to "Families.ecore". So,
>> With a right click on the Families.ecore metamodel, I Point (New >
>> Other... Eclipse Modeling Framework> but I can't generate the genmodel
>> file. In the Step "Ecore Import", When I click the load button, I have
>> the message " problems were detected while validating and converting
>> the ecore models". how I can resolve this problem? best regards,
>> Adil.
>>
>
Re: [ATL][AM3] editing Models [message #76356 is a reply to message #76323] Wed, 12 March 2008 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: merks.ca.ibm.com

Frédéric,

It seems like generally an awfully good idea to have Ecore instances
that are well formed with respect to the constraints defined for Ecore.
Computing default values for properties that must be set would seem to
be a good approach. I.e., set the nsPrefix to be the same as the name
of the package and set instanceClassName to be java.lang.Object for data
types. The nsURI seems like a pretty important thing even from just a
metamodel point of view as a way to uniquely identify the model. But
then again, I don't really know the context of this very well, so maybe
what I'm saying isn't all that sensible; maybe it is best that folks
need to go in an manually add such information to ensure it's sensible...


Frédéric Jouault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to precise that the Families metamodel lacks some fields
> required for code generation, but does not lack any field for usage as
> a metamodel.
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Frédéric Jouault
>
> Freddy Allilaire a écrit :
>> Hi Adil,
>>
>> "Families" metamodel misses some required fields (if you click on
>> "Details" button, you will see the list of problems).
>>
>> "Ns Prefix" and "Ns URI" properties of root packages (Families &
>> PrimitiveTypes) should be answered.
>> "Instance Type Name" property (and maybe Instance Class Name) of
>> String DataType should also be answered.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Freddy.
>>
>> adil a écrit :
>>> Hello,
>>> I tested the creation of models according to their metamodels using
>>> the EMF Generated Editor. To this end, I used the Families.ecore
>>> metamodel ( the example Provided With
>>> ATL_UML2_Bundle_2.0.0RC2_Windows ) and I want Create a model that
>>> conforms to "Families.ecore". So, With a right click on the
>>> Families.ecore metamodel, I Point (New > Other... Eclipse Modeling
>>> Framework> but I can't generate the genmodel file. In the Step
>>> "Ecore Import", When I click the load button, I have the message "
>>> problems were detected while validating and converting the ecore
>>> models". how I can resolve this problem? best regards,
>>> Adil.
>>>
>>
Re: [ATL][AM3] editing Models [message #76551 is a reply to message #76356] Wed, 12 March 2008 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frédéric Jouault is currently offline Frédéric JouaultFriend
Messages: 572
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Ed,


> It seems like generally an awfully good idea to have Ecore instances
> that are well formed with respect to the constraints defined for Ecore.
> Computing default values for properties that must be set would seem to
> be a good approach. I.e., set the nsPrefix to be the same as the name
> of the package and set instanceClassName to be java.lang.Object for data
> types.

I agree that we should always provide .ecore files with nsURI and
nsPrefix set.



> The nsURI seems like a pretty important thing even from just a
> metamodel point of view as a way to uniquely identify the model.

However, I cannot agree that an nsURI (i.e., an *XML* namespace URI) is
generally an important part of a metamodel (i.e., an *MDE* entity). On
the contrary, I do believe that a metamodel should not refer to any
specific technology/platform.

The same remark holds for the usage of Java classes/objects in a metamodel.


This is why we have historically only been setting default values for
nsURI, nsPrefix, and instanceClassName at .ecore file load time. At this
point, we have already committed to Java and XMI. Therefore, I consider
it normal to "bind" the metamodel to the actual platform.

The problem with this approach is that the binding does not persist. My
preference definitely goes to a separate specification of the binding
(i.e., in another file, not in the metamodel), which allows different
bindings on different platforms or for different usages. However, this
is not how EMF currently works. This is why I agree that we should
persist the platform binding in the .ecore files.


Best regards,

Frédéric Jouault
Re: [ATL][AM3] editing Models [message #76568 is a reply to message #76551] Wed, 12 March 2008 20:03 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: merks.ca.ibm.com

Frédéric,

Comments below.

Frédéric Jouault wrote:
> Ed,
>
>
> > It seems like generally an awfully good idea to have Ecore instances
> > that are well formed with respect to the constraints defined for Ecore.
> > Computing default values for properties that must be set would seem to
> > be a good approach. I.e., set the nsPrefix to be the same as the name
> > of the package and set instanceClassName to be java.lang.Object for
> data
> > types.
>
> I agree that we should always provide .ecore files with nsURI and
> nsPrefix set.
>
>
>
> > The nsURI seems like a pretty important thing even from just a
> > metamodel point of view as a way to uniquely identify the model.
>
> However, I cannot agree that an nsURI (i.e., an *XML* namespace URI)
> is generally an important part of a metamodel (i.e., an *MDE* entity).
> On the contrary, I do believe that a metamodel should not refer to any
> specific technology/platform.
I'm not sure why you consider it technology or platform specific. It's
certainly a MOF concept and there it's platform neutral. And in a sense
even Java package names are namespaces in this same way. In all cases,
the idea is to provide something to ensure that entity can be uniquely
identified by something human readable and something other than its
physical location.
>
> The same remark holds for the usage of Java classes/objects in a
> metamodel.
That's certainly true if the model is meant to be used for more than Java.
>
>
> This is why we have historically only been setting default values for
> nsURI, nsPrefix, and instanceClassName at .ecore file load time. At
> this point, we have already committed to Java and XMI. Therefore, I
> consider it normal to "bind" the metamodel to the actual platform.
UML generally supports things like stereo types so you can augment the
model with things that aren't intrinsic to the model. It is after all
important that a type representing int verses one that representing
String be bound correctly.
>
> The problem with this approach is that the binding does not persist.
Indeed.
> My preference definitely goes to a separate specification of the
> binding (i.e., in another file, not in the metamodel), which allows
> different bindings on different platforms or for different usages
Yes, it's often a question of whether annotations are stored on the
object or stored separate and associated with an object. In a certain
sense, those two are equivalent.
> . However, this is not how EMF currently works. This is why I agree
> that we should persist the platform binding in the .ecore files.
Indeed, Ecore is very much focused on working primarily with Java. And
we've taken pragmatic liberties and in a pure sense might not sit so
well. Most folks are pragmatists rather than purists though... In any
case, EMF as a whole could be used for anything... It will be
interesting to see how the C# work unfolds.
>
>
> Best regards,
>
> Frédéric Jouault
Previous Topic:[ATL]Transform UML Activity Diagram using ATL
Next Topic:ATL: multiple source pattern elements
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Oct 15 21:05:56 GMT 2019

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02046 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top