Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » End user oriented EMF Parsng/Reporting/Transforming
End user oriented EMF Parsng/Reporting/Transforming [message #715251] Fri, 12 August 2011 23:11 Go to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
So...what's the best tool for giving users access to EMF model instances? Or if that's too loaded a question, let's say, what if any are examples of tools for this? What I'm thinking of is something like XML Spy, only better. So that you could for example do model transformations in order to filter, add columns, pivot etc. data? Second best is too be able to just take a slice and output it to tabular text. Is there such a beast?

OK yes, Ed W., I know, you could use OCL. Smile Personally I do a lot of this stuff in XPand. And then there is BIRT and the Ecore data provider. But until there is a more end-user friendly way to set this up -- or I am able to get around to writing a good template for my models -- those are all too low-level for what I'm thinking of.

It seems like MoDisco has some of this, and perhaps EcoreTools as well. Ideas?
Re: End user oriented EMF Parsng/Reporting/Transforming [message #715320 is a reply to message #715251] Sat, 13 August 2011 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi Miles
>
> OK yes, Ed W., I know, you could use OCL. :)
OCL by itself is useless; it has to have an encapsulating context.

I think that you are identifying the limitations in the current model
instance contexts.

The OCL evaluator provides expression evaluation using the current
selection as the context, so that a wide variety of tools can be used
provided the selection is or can be adapted to an EObject, so this
obviously works for Ecore editors. It also works in Xtext outlines, but
not the main body text.

> It seems like MoDisco has some of this, and perhaps EcoreTools as
> well. Ideas?
MoDisco ought to be good, but I always have to uninstall it to stop it
upsetting me and/or other tools.

Ecore Tools is too specific but it is an EObject source. BIRT can be an
EObject source.

Papyrus might offer Object Diagram tooling.

What are we really trying to do?

If I select an Xyzzy instance, am I looking for a Transform... menu
entry that offers all possible registered 'transformations' that might
do something with an Xyzzy. THis requires fully typed model
transformation registrations.

Is it worth trying to have an Eclipse Modeling Platform Workshop on the
day before/after EclipseCon Europe at which we try to establish a more
coherent plan?

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: End user oriented EMF Parsng/Reporting/Transforming [message #715397 is a reply to message #715320] Sat, 13 August 2011 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm...let me try again. What I am thinking of here is not a modeling tool at all, from the user perspective. It's a data analysis / reporting / spreadsheet tool. IOTW, the users are interested in manipulating the data that is a specific model instance, not in manipulating it in the modeling context per se. They're interested in some workflow involving that particular instance, and it is very often a one-off thing, though naturally it would be nice to have some automation. (Probably there is a product lurking in here somewhere. Smile) Perhaps some kind of pretty simple query tool could also fit the bill. I'll try to find some time to play around with the query related tools and see if there is anything there. It would be neat if "someone" for example wrote an input module for Knime. Licensing issues aside, that would open up a whole world of data manipulation possibilities.
Re: End user oriented EMF Parsng/Reporting/Transforming [message #715399 is a reply to message #715320] Sat, 13 August 2011 18:43 Go to previous message
Edward Willink wrote on Sat, 13 August 2011 06:38

Is it worth trying to have an Eclipse Modeling Platform Workshop on the
day before/after EclipseCon Europe at which we try to establish a more
coherent plan?

It would be interesting, but I won't be at EclipseCon Europe. I'd be grateful to hear a report back on any such efforts.
Previous Topic:XML comments missed
Next Topic:Get started with EMF Facet
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:21:25 GMT 2024