Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Finding code attached to UI (How to find code (like I can in Emacs))
Finding code attached to UI [message #714163] Wed, 10 August 2011 00:00 Go to next message
stephen_leake is currently offline stephen_leakeFriend
I'd like to find the code attached to the "run" button in the Android development tool, so I can see how to do the same from the command line. But more generally, I'd like to see the code attached to any button or keystroke.

I'm an Emacs guru, and in Emacs, I'd just type C-h k <click run>, and it would give me the code location (and one more click would bring up the code). I'm just getting started with Eclipse, and I have not yet found the equivalent.

-- Stephe
Re: Finding code attached to UI [message #714557 is a reply to message #714163] Wed, 10 August 2011 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Pellaton is currently offline Michael PellatonFriend
Hi

google for plug-in spy

Michael
Re: Finding code attached to UI [message #714558 is a reply to message #714163] Wed, 10 August 2011 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

google for plug-in spy

Michael
Re: Finding code attached to UI [message #714724 is a reply to message #714557] Thu, 11 August 2011 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That shows the code behind the current perspective, which is interesting. But it doesn't show the code for a button or keystroke. I'll look for other "spy" tools.
Re: Finding code attached to UI [message #714926 is a reply to message #714724] Thu, 11 August 2011 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's menu spy too. It gets you the action behind a toolbar icon...

Michael
Re: Finding code attached to UI [message #715076 is a reply to message #714926] Fri, 12 August 2011 10:03 Go to previous message
That's closer. But, for the 'Run' toolbar button, it doesn't let me open the drop down menu first, to show the final choice; it just gives me the top level widget info.

In Emacs, only the final menu/keystroke choice is displayed in the help buffer.

Also, it doesn't let me click to bring up the actual source; I have to search for it somewhere.

Finally, it doesn't work for keystrokes.

Hmm. For actual menus, it does open the submenus, and show the source. Apparently toolbar actions are significantly different than menu actions.

Arghh! not for the "run" menu entry! that brings up the same info as the "run" toolbar button. Which is at least consistent.

Apparently not all menu entries are equal.

The info presented by menu spy for "Run" is:

The active contribution item identifier:
org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.actions.RunDropDownAction
The active contribution location URI:
toolbar:org.eclipse.debug.ui.launchActionSet?after=org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.actions.RunDropDownAction
The active action set identifier:
org.eclipse.debug.ui.launchActionSet

I can't find that in .../eclipse-3.7/plugins. I found org.eclipse.debug.ui.source_3.7.0.v20110518.jar, but that doesn't seem to contain "launchActionSet".

Where is the source for this action?
Previous Topic:hiding launchConfigurations from Debug view
Next Topic:Open internal browser programatically
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:07:13 GMT 2024