Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Sapphire » Good idea, but ...
Good idea, but ... [message #712397] Sun, 07 August 2011 07:47 Go to next message
Reinhard  is currently offline Reinhard Friend
Hi,

sapphire is a great idea, really! And I believe, it makes building enterprise apps with enterprise qualtity a lot easier and faster!

... and I really like the sapphire-way to build the model!

But:
sapphire is only half of the picture. Automatic generation of editors/views is great.
What I miss is a conceptual integration of persistence.

Your model has almoust all information needed to be able to build required persistence objects, so why not think about integration of EclipseLink to complete the picture? EclipseLink is the perfect solution for 2-tier and 3-tier architectures, so let your generated classes implement the Serializable interface and add the appropriate JPA annotations and sapphire cuts off wasted developer time even more.
So 2-tier apps could use EclipseLink directly and 3-tier apps could use the generated Entity-classes in the middle-tier, without modifications.

The only changes required: rename all Xml-Annotations to somewhat like Phys-Annotation. A XmlBinding( path = "a:street" ) could become PhysBinding( path = "a.street" ) and respect to persistence, "a." could become database schema prefix and for xml-persistence it could be converted to the namespace prefix as today. Then I think, generation of Entity-classes is not that hard to implement.

Respect to UI-level, I believe, the UI-part could be improved by considering the xml-editor-definitions as sourcecode. The classes after loading and parsing could be stored using Serialization, which speeds up subsequent loading. This way, the editor-definition could be stored in a database too, which improves flexibility ...
Reparsing of XML-files could be triggered based on timestamp, to get rid of changes in xml-descriptions ...

... by the way: I'm willing to join work

Kind regards

Reinhard

[Updated on: Sun, 07 August 2011 07:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Good idea, but ... [message #713616 is a reply to message #712397] Mon, 08 August 2011 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
Reinhard,

I agree with you that combination of Sapphire and JPA could make for quite a compelling story for enterprise app developers. Sapphire is architected in such a way as to make a variety of storage systems possible, with XML being just one such system.

Since you are indicating that you are willing to contribute, go ahead and open an enhancement request for Sapphire/JPA integration. We can use bugzilla to work on the design and then when you have something implemented, you can attach it to bugzilla as a patch.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Sapphire

I look forward to working with you.

- Konstantin
Re: Good idea, but ... [message #713777 is a reply to message #713616] Tue, 09 August 2011 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reinhard  is currently offline Reinhard Friend
Hi Konstantin,

thank you for the invitation. Just created the bug-entry.

Quote:
Sapphire is architected in such a way as to make a variety of storage systems possible, with XML being just one such system.

Could you please tell me a bit more about the architecture, or guide me to places where I can read about internals ...
As the code contains almoust no comments, may be, I did not get the whole picture.

I got the sources from cvs and already read most of your blog

... by the way:
Your way of code formatting is strange, but not bad. Does there exists an import for eclipse code formatter to produce such code?

I believe, using the same formatter is the first step for code quality, which is vital for enterprise software quality.
So may be better change to style and format used by eclipse?

kind regards

Reinhard
Re: Good idea, but ... [message #714034 is a reply to message #713777] Tue, 09 August 2011 16:29 Go to previous message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
To close this thread, here is the reference to the enhancement request:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=354202

Further discussion should happen in bugzilla.

- Konstantin
Previous Topic:Invalid Model Path
Next Topic:Element with Default Value
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:09:04 GMT 2024