Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Merge "using strategy resolve resulted in: Failed."(Trouble using EGit merge: strategy resolve resulted in: Failed.)
Merge "using strategy resolve resulted in: Failed." [message #711151] Fri, 05 August 2011 20:36 Go to next message
Braids is currently offline BraidsFriend
I have a workspace with nothing in the working directory and one commit. This commit is a single file which conflicts with the remote's head.

(git status) reports:
# On branch master
# Your branch and 'origin/master' have diverged,
# and have 1 and 74 different commit(s) each, respectively.
#
nothing to commit (working directory clean)

I tried to use EGit to merge using Team menu item, Merge item, Remote Tracking folder, origin/master (Ref), Merge button. I get the following error in a new window:

Multiple problems have occurred
(X) Merge of revisions abc..., 123..., with base def..., using strategy resolve resulted in: Failed. (hereafter known as (the same error message))

The white box in the window says:
(the same error message)
Merging with refs/remotes/origin/master

and the Details view shows (the same error message).

In Event Details, it shows the Date, the Severity is an Error, the Message is (the same error message), Exception Stack Trace is not available.
Session Data:
eclipse.buildId=I20110613-1736
java.version=1.6.0_26
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

How do I get EGit to show me a 3-way merge for the conflicting, committed file?
Re: Merge "using strategy resolve resulted in: Failed." [message #711995 is a reply to message #711151] Sat, 06 August 2011 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm using gitorious.org as my remote repository, if that helps at all. if you need more information, please ask.
Re: Merge "using strategy resolve resulted in: Failed." [message #712661 is a reply to message #711995] Sun, 07 August 2011 15:13 Go to previous message
here's some more information that may help someone reproduce the problem. i used the instructions at
www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge:How_to_Get_Started_Developing_Forge
to clone the repository.

one should be able to clone that without ssh access, modify a conflicting file, then attempt to merge.

after cloning, if you need me to push a conflicting file to test, you can PM me.

(if the problem is in SSH somehow, you won't be able to reproduce it this way.)

oh, and i cloned my repository within a subfolder of my eclipse workspace (since putting it in a direct subfolder did not work): eclipse-workspace/git/cardforge .

[Updated on: Sun, 07 August 2011 15:16]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:File URI not working correctly
Next Topic:[JGit] How to checkout using SHA-1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:34:08 GMT 2024