Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Install Plandora Project Management on Eclipse Virgo(where is context.xml in virgo)
icon14.gif  Install Plandora Project Management on Eclipse Virgo [message #708792] Wed, 03 August 2011 07:16 Go to next message
dimas  is currently offline dimas Friend
Hi..

Recently, i had some task from my manager to implement Software based Project Management. I decided to choose Plandora Project Management (_www.plandora.org) as platform. Plandora is java based project management software that designed to be run on tomcat webserver (5.0.x or higher). I have tried on Tomcat 7 and it run flawlessly.

in the other side, i had another project (web app) that was run on Eclipse Virgo. So I think that if I use same web server on that both project, it will more easier for me to maintain..

My question is, can i run it in Eclipse Virgo?

When I read plandora installation manual, it was written like this

Quote:

The next step is to setup the Data Source. Tomcat will need this information for connection purposes and to supply a connection to the application. Actually the Tomcat takes the control of the data base 'connection pool'.

For Tomcat 5.0.x you should copy the server.xml (that comes with the installation package) to the folder conf/ of Tomcat.

For Tomcat 5.3.x or higher you SHOULD NOT copy the server.xml but you should edit the context.xml (get the example file that comes with the installation package) file into the folder conf/ of Tomcat.

where can i find that context.xml on eclipse virgo? i have googled & found no clue.. All i got is server.xml in tomcat was equal to tomcat-server.xml in virgo..

thx before..
Re: Install Plandora Project Management on Eclipse Virgo [message #708799 is a reply to message #708792] Wed, 03 August 2011 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Violeta Georgieva is currently offline Violeta GeorgievaFriend
Hello,

We do support context configuration, check the user documentation:
User Documentation/Tomcat configuration
Context Configuration section

Regards
Violeta
Re: Install Plandora Project Management on Eclipse Virgo [message #709596 is a reply to message #708799] Thu, 04 August 2011 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thx for the answer..

Based on that documentation, i tried to place context.xml in \config directory but i had HTTP error 404
so i moved that context.xml into \META-INF directory at pandora.war file & redeployed. Pandora is running now.. but when i tried to login, it gives me this error

javax.naming.NamingException: Could not create resource factory instance [Root exception is org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.osgi.framework.ExtendedClassNotFoundException: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory in KernelBundleClassLoader: [bundle=com.springsource.org.apache.catalina.springsource_6.0.29.S2-r1559]] 

org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.osgi.framework.ExtendedClassNotFoundException: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory in KernelBundleClassLoader: [bundle=com.springsource.org.apache.catalina.springsource_6.0.29.S2-r1559] at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.userregion.internal.equinox.KernelBundleClassLoader.loadClass(KernelBundleClassLoader.java:139) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:252) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:320) at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:169) at org.apache.naming.factory.ResourceFactory.getObjectInstance(ResourceFactory.java:114) at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getObjectInstance(NamingManager.java:304) at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:793) at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:140) at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:781) at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:153) at com.pandora.dao.DataAccess.getConnection(DataAccess.java:63) at 

i don't have any idea about that error.. because I'm new in VWS

can you give us some clue how to fix that error

thanks before
sincerely
Re: Install Plandora Project Management on Eclipse Virgo [message #709696 is a reply to message #709596] Thu, 04 August 2011 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The <Virgo-Home>/config/context.xml is the default context configuration file for all web applications.
If you what to provide context.xml per web application then you can provide it either as META-INF/context.xml in the web application's archive (the recommended way) or as <Virgo-Home>/config/Catalina/localhost/<context-path>.xml

Typically when you receive

ExtendedClassNotFoundException: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory

It is because that package is not provided by any bundle on the system.
I don't think that Virgo provides this by default, so you have to provide it by yourself as bundle or you can put the jar that contains this class in your web application's WEB-INF/lib directory

[Updated on: Thu, 04 August 2011 07:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Install Plandora Project Management on Eclipse Virgo [message #713078 is a reply to message #709696] Mon, 08 August 2011 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i found that
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory
class is on [TOMCAT_HOME]/lib directory. So i copied all of jar file inside that folder, and placed it into \WEB-INF\lib folder in plandora directory.

I restart VWS, and try to access login page. The browser show this error

HTTP Status 503 - Servlet jsp is currently unavailable

type Status report

message Servlet jsp is currently unavailable

description The requested service (Servlet jsp is currently unavailable) is not currently available.

so i removed it & restart VWS again. and Login page showed perfectly. But when login button was hit, error
javax.naming.NamingException: Could not create resource factory instance [Root exception is org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.osgi.framework.ExtendedClassNotFoundException: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory in KernelBundleClassLoader: [bundle=com.springsource.org.apache.catalina.springsource_6.0.29.S2-r1559]] 
shows again..

i have tried to place tomcat lib into [VIRGO_HOME]\lib folder instead of [PANDORA_HOME]\WEB-INF\lib directory, but i still have no luck.. ExtendedClassNotFoundException rise again

i don't think that installing standard apache tomcat web application in virgo is difficult. But when i try by myself, i found it so or i missed something important?

please help me..

thank you for the answer
sincerely
dimas

[Updated on: Mon, 08 August 2011 06:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Install Plandora Project Management on Eclipse Virgo [message #714652 is a reply to message #713078] Thu, 11 August 2011 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you try the following:

1. Put tomcat-dbcp.jar in the web app's WEB-INF/lib folder
  2. Edit your context.xml - in the Resource tag, that describes the DataSource, add factory="org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"

Re: Install Plandora Project Management on Eclipse Virgo [message #715685 is a reply to message #714652] Mon, 15 August 2011 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Violeta Georgieva wrote on Thu, 11 August 2011 03:52
Can you try the following:

1. Put tomcat-dbcp.jar in the web app's WEB-INF/lib folder
  2. Edit your context.xml - in the Resource tag, that describes the DataSource, add factory="org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"

thanks for the answer..

i have tried the following:

1. Deploy WAR directly into VWS. Failed
  2. Put tomcat-dbcp.jar into /WEB-INF/lib directory. Failed
  3. Put context.xml provided by Plandora into /WEB-INF. Along with tomcat-dbcp.jar into WEB-INF/lib directory. Failed
  4. Edit context.xml. Add factory="org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory", and put it into /WEB-INF directory. Failed too

<!-- The contents of this file will be loaded for each web application -->
    <Context>

<!-- Default set of monitored resources -->
        <WatchedResource>WEB-INF/web.xml</WatchedResource>

<Resource name="jdbc/plandora" auth="Container" 
    		type="javax.sql.DataSource" username="root" password="xxx" factory="org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory" 
    		driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/plandora" 
    		maxActive="50" maxIdle="20"/> 

<!-- Uncomment this to disable session persistence across Tomcat restarts -->
        <!--
        <Manager pathname="" />
        -->
    </Context>

all above, raise the same error..

anything else that i can try?..

thanks before
Re: Install Plandora Project Management on Eclipse Virgo [message #715766 is a reply to message #715685] Mon, 15 August 2011 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please find attached one very simple web application that uses tomcat-dbcp.jar
Re: Install Plandora Project Management on Eclipse Virgo [message #716666 is a reply to message #715766] Thu, 18 August 2011 03:26 Go to previous message
FINALLY ITS WORKING NOW

your answer is correct, but all fault is on my mistake
my fault is, i placed context.xml not in META-INF directory, but in WEB-INF instead..

i realized this when i examined your attachment

thank you very much violeta

best regards
dimas
Previous Topic:Remote Repository Timing and Dependency Issues
Next Topic:Problems with Virgo IDE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:46:45 GMT 2024