Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Dynamic Languages Toolkit (DLTK) » Ruby and RVM gemsets(How to run a Ruby project with a particular RVM gemset environment?)
Ruby and RVM gemsets [message #705218] Fri, 29 July 2011 15:24 Go to next message
Frank Grimes is currently offline Frank GrimesFriend
Hi All,

We have a bunch of Ruby projects which have .rvmrc files to specify per-project RVM gemsets.
When trying to run these projects through Eclipse (w/Ruby dltk support) we get errors that the required gems cannot be found/loaded.

Is there a way to accomplish this in Eclipse?

Specifically, I'm looking for something along these lines (or some other workaround):

http://blogs.jetbrains.com/ruby/2010/04/rvm-support-in-rubymine-2-0-2/

Thanks,

Frank Grimes
Re: Ruby and RVM gemsets [message #709037 is a reply to message #705218] Wed, 03 August 2011 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Grimes is currently offline Frank GrimesFriend
FYI, I managed to get this working with the JetBrains RubyMine IDE but I'd much rather be able to use Eclipse for both my Java and Ruby coding.

Does nobody here make use of RVM gemsets at all?
Am I missing something obvious to get this working?
I'm new to Ruby, but can I possibly create an external launch which can somehow set the RVM gemset environment before launching a Ruby project/script in debug mode?
Re: Ruby and RVM gemsets [message #1697735 is a reply to message #709037] Sun, 07 June 2015 18:51 Go to previous message
Manuel Widmer is currently offline Manuel WidmerFriend
I know this is an old topic, but still there is no definitive answer and I got here when I was googling for rvm + eclipse gem issues.

The only definite workaround I found is to start eclipse from a terminal that has the right environment already set up by RVM.
The two most important environment variables being GEM_HOME and GEM_PATH.

on a mac you can do this in the terminal by typing "open /Applications/eclipse/Eclipse.app/" on linux if eclipse is in the path it's just "eclipse &"

the other way would be to add the two environment variables in your run configuration for the script. But this then implies that you need to reset the environment variables every time you change the gemset for your project.
Previous Topic:Reindex and refresh a file on tab switch
Next Topic:LangEclipseIDE - An alternative to DLTK?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:03:33 GMT 2024