Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » plugin is not picked up from dropins folder, exception in org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins
plugin is not picked up from dropins folder, exception in org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins [message #702077] Mon, 25 July 2011 23:55 Go to next message
Laurent Delamare is currently offline Laurent DelamareFriend
I am using STS 2.6.1 which includes Eclipse 3.6.2

I wrote a custom plugin and asked my users to put the .jar file into their "dropins" folder in order to use it. Most of the times it works, but some users have told me the plugin doesn't show up for them. In each case their logs show the same error: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.directorywatcher.RepositoryListener.<init>, see the details below.

1) I don't understand how they get this error and I don't although we have the same STS environment. Where should I look for differences?
2) Any idea what could case this error or where to start to debug this?
3) Is there any other simple way to deploy a custom plugin that doesn't involve using the "dropins" directory.

Thanks!

--Laurent

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins 4 0 2011-07-07 14:35:59.075
!MESSAGE
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Exception in org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.reconciler.dropins.Activator.start() of bundle org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins.
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:806)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:755)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHost.java:370)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.resume(AbstractBundle.java:374)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.resumeBundle(Framework.java:1067)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.resumeBundles(StartLevelManager.java:561)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.resumeBundles(StartLevelManager.java:546)

Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.directorywatcher.RepositoryListener.<init>(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/util/Map;)V
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.reconciler.dropins.DropinsRepositoryListener.<init>(DropinsRepositoryListener.java:53)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.reconciler.dropins.Activator.watchDropins(Activator.java:489)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.reconciler.dropins.Activator.start(Activator.java:172)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl$1.run(BundleContextImpl.java:783)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:774)
Re: plugin is not picked up from dropins folder, exception in org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.drop [message #702099 is a reply to message #702077] Tue, 26 July 2011 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
On 7/26/11 1:55 AM, Laurent wrote:
> I am using STS 2.6.1 which includes Eclipse 3.6.2
>
> 1) I don't understand how they get this error and I don't although we
> have the same STS environment. Where should I look for differences?
> 2) Any idea what could case this error or where to start to debug this?
> 3) Is there any other simple way to deploy a custom plugin that doesn't
> involve using the "dropins" directory.
>
Give the users a p2 repository instead. It can be on disk. And this
repository is added as any other repository in the p2 ui. This way you
get much better feedback on why it does not install ok for some users.

Regards
- henrik
Re: plugin is not picked up from dropins folder, exception in org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.drop [message #702103 is a reply to message #702099] Tue, 26 July 2011 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi Henrik,
I am not familiar with p2. What do you mean by "Give the users a p2 repository instead"?
Thanks,

--Laurent
Re: plugin is not picked up from dropins folder, exception in org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.drop [message #702223 is a reply to message #702103] Tue, 26 July 2011 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Pellaton is currently offline Michael PellatonFriend
Hi

- create a feature
- create an update site project
- build the update site project --> that's the p2 site (aka update site)

> software distributed in that way get "installed" not just "copied in"

HTH
Michael
Re: plugin is not picked up from dropins folder, exception in org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.drop [message #702672 is a reply to message #702223] Tue, 26 July 2011 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
> create an update site project

OK, thanks, that was plan for the long term. But for quick internal updates I would still like to understand the java.lang.NoSuchMethodError exception and why the normal "dropins" directory method fails for some users.

Can someone give me tops on how to debug this?
Thanks!

--Laurent
Re: plugin is not picked up from dropins folder, exception in org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.drop [message #703508 is a reply to message #702672] Wed, 27 July 2011 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
On 7/26/11 6:52 PM, Laurent wrote:
>> create an update site project
>
> OK, thanks, that was plan for the long term. But for quick internal
> updates I would still like to understand the java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
> exception and why the normal "dropins" directory method fails for some
> users.
>
> Can someone give me tops on how to debug this?
> Thanks!
>
> --Laurent

The idea was, that if you produce a p2 repository - the users where it
fails tries this repo. If there are errors installing that way you
actually get to see what may be wrong !!

That was the idea.

The setup of an update site project and export to p2 is very simple.

Using "dropin" is a crutch with severe limitations in functionality. It
should really be removed from Eclipse as it does not have a chance of
working as people expect. IMHO it is a waste of time trying to hunt down
and fix issues related to use of "dropin".

- henrik
Re: plugin is not picked up from dropins folder, exception in org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.drop [message #703509 is a reply to message #703508] Wed, 27 July 2011 16:41 Go to previous message
Michael Pellaton is currently offline Michael PellatonFriend
On 2011-07-27 6:30 PM, Henrik Lindberg wrote:
> It should really be removed from Eclipse as it does not have a chance of
> working as people expect.
+1

Michael
Previous Topic:P2 greedy behavior inside a feature
Next Topic:Error mirroring an exported feature with B3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 21:59:10 GMT 2024