Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Quotes stripped from launching arguments(Launching from a product file strips quotes)
Quotes stripped from launching arguments [message #699993] Fri, 22 July 2011 17:02 Go to next message
Kevin Pfarr is currently offline Kevin PfarrFriend
I've upgrade to Eclipse 3.7 from 3.6.1 and ran into an issue with quotes getting stripped from the launch arguments.

For example I added the VM Argument -Dblah="hello world" to the All Platforms tab on the Launching tab of a product file. Then launched the product from the Overview tab. It fails with a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: world. Looking at the generated launch configuration the quotes around hello world are missing.

I have also tested with with the Program Arguments field, added --blah "hello world". After launching it from the Overview tab, the generated launch configuration is missing the quotes.

I've attached the product file with the two launcher argument changes. The product file was created from the Hello RCP Plug-in Project template.
Re: Quotes stripped from launching arguments [message #700033 is a reply to message #699993] Fri, 22 July 2011 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looked into the further and found org.eclipse.pde.internal.ui.launcher.LaunchAction.concatArgs() is stripping the quotes. Looked at the CVS history and the previous release was not using DebugPlugin.parseArguments() to concatArgs together.

DebugPlugin.parseArguments is where the quotes are getting stripped. See code below an an example.

String userArgs = "-Xms40m -Xmx384m -Dblah=\"hello world\" -Dyep=\"asdf\"";
String[] parseArguments = DebugPlugin.parseArguments(userArgs);
for (String string : parseArguments) {
 System.err.println(string);
}

The output from the above is:

-Xms40m
-Xmx384m
-Dblah=hello world
-Dyep=asdf

I'm going to file a bug about this issue.
Re: Quotes stripped from launching arguments [message #700058 is a reply to message #700033] Fri, 22 July 2011 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
See Eclipse bug 321624 for details about the change of LaunchAction.
Re: Quotes stripped from launching arguments [message #701802 is a reply to message #700058] Mon, 25 July 2011 15:56 Go to previous message
Curtis Windatt is currently offline Curtis WindattFriend
Looks like https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=350461
Previous Topic:How can I download all the dependencies form remote sites
Next Topic:Eclispe 3.7 cannot resolve external jars
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 13:59:07 GMT 2024