Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Local Terminal can be helpful for Git projects(Local Terminal can be helpful for Git projects)
Local Terminal can be helpful for Git projects [message #699853] Fri, 22 July 2011 13:32 Go to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
While looking through the Eclipse Marketplace I noticed a plugin that will run a local shell in an Eclipse view. It's still in incubation but works reliably for me in OSX. I mention it here because I've been finding it very handy for running Git operations that are not supported by egit/jgit, much handier than switching out of Eclipse altogether just to get at a shell. The win of IDEs over older styles of development is specifically that you don't have to keep switching contexts, you can do everything in the IDE. If your shell is bash, the terminal view will of course support Git completion if you have that enabled in your .bashrc.

Right now I use a Local Terminal shell for common but currently unsupported operations like stash and svn bridging. But even when egit/jgit matures to the point of covering those kinds of things, the complexity of Git is such that there will always be a need for command-line access. Maybe egit itself will eventually provide a Git shell of some kind, but for now the Local Terminal plugin is very decent place-holder.

Be sure to look at Local Terminal preferences, particularly the one that lets you set the working directory. If your workspace references only one Git repository, set the Local Terminal there and you're good to go.
Re: Local Terminal can be helpful for Git projects [message #699915 is a reply to message #699853] Fri, 22 July 2011 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manuel Doninger is currently offline Manuel DoningerFriend
Do you have a URL? I couldn't find that plugin in the Eclipse Marketplace.
Re: Local Terminal can be helpful for Git projects [message #700021 is a reply to message #699915] Fri, 22 July 2011 17:54 Go to previous message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
Try the Yoxos marketplace rather than the Eclipse marketplace. The URL listed in my Available Software Sites is Yoxos-relative:

http://market.eclipsesource.com/yoxos/mpc/latestrepo/org.eclipse.tm.terminal.local.feature.group/3.7.0.v20110110

I don't know if it can be used directly.

Previous Topic:EGit and no-fast-forward merges
Next Topic:Passphrase fails for Fedora 15
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:43:22 GMT 2024