Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Running Virgo in client app with various environments
Running Virgo in client app with various environments [message #698391] Tue, 19 July 2011 12:11 Go to next message
Barbara Rosi-Schwartz is currently offline Barbara Rosi-SchwartzFriend
Hello everyone.

I have an interesting problem. I am developing an enterprise Swing based desktop application which sits on top of a Virgo client. The Virgo client is configured to fetch bundles from a remote Virgo server as and when needed.

Most users will be running the application with config parameters pointing to the production environment, but some privileged users will need to run different instances of it with config parameters pointing to other environments (test, UAT, etc.)

What is the best/smartest way to achieve this? Can we (hopefully) use one and the same instance of the client Virgo? Any documentation that I can read for the purpose?

TIA,
B.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 July 2011 12:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Running Virgo in client app with various environments [message #698479 is a reply to message #698391] Tue, 19 July 2011 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In reading through the Virgo manual, it appears I could achieve what I am seeking using different port numbers for my Virgo client and having different configurations in Virgo's config directory, one for each port number.

Is that the right path?

Thanks again,
B.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 July 2011 14:37]

Re: Running Virgo in client app with various environments [message #698502 is a reply to message #698479] Tue, 19 July 2011 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
I'm not sure what Virgo documentation you are referring to, but the config is not keyed by port as far as I recollect.

There is however a "-configDir" parameter on the startup script which may help in your scenario. (This option needs some work in the general case.)

You could provide config and config-test directories and have your users start Virgo specifying the appropriate directory. You could use the normal config directory for the default case and have them specify the parameter in the other case.
Re: Running Virgo in client app with various environments [message #698509 is a reply to message #698502] Tue, 19 July 2011 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Glyn.

I think that's exactly what I need.

When you say the solution needs some work in the general case, what do you mean exactly? I had a look at the Bugzilla but I am not clear.

Thanks again!

[Updated on: Tue, 19 July 2011 15:17]

Re: Running Virgo in client app with various environments [message #718936 is a reply to message #698509] Thu, 25 August 2011 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi.

Does Bugzilla item https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=307737 still apply to Virgo Maya?
Re: Running Virgo in client app with various environments [message #719165 is a reply to message #718936] Fri, 26 August 2011 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Hi Barbara

Yes, we still haven't fixed bug 307737 in Virgo Maya.

As for your earlier question, which I somehow missed:

"When you say the solution needs some work in the general case, what do you mean exactly? I had a look at the Bugzilla but I am not clear."

what I meant was that the -configDir option does not change the serviceability and work directories and so it's broken for sharing an installation between two differently configured Virgo instances. The rest of the bug goes on to speculate how to fix that.

Regards,
Glyn
Re: Running Virgo in client app with various environments [message #719170 is a reply to message #719165] Fri, 26 August 2011 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Glyn.

Since I need this feature quite urgently, I am contemplating collaborating with Joel to put a fix together next week, when I am on holiday. Any outcome will be contributed back to you guys.
Re: Running Virgo in client app with various environments [message #719220 is a reply to message #719170] Fri, 26 August 2011 12:56 Go to previous message
Joel Rosi-Schwartz is currently offline Joel Rosi-SchwartzFriend
I have pickup up this bug and will pursue to resolve it.

Joel
Previous Topic:OSGi preferences service
Next Topic:Custom XML schema definition not found
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:47:34 GMT 2024