Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Creating an Action to Open the Xtext Project Wizard
Creating an Action to Open the Xtext Project Wizard [message #697756] Mon, 18 July 2011 00:14 Go to next message
Reinaldo Junior is currently offline Reinaldo JuniorFriend

I'm working on a Google SoC project about Xtext and other DSL modeling tools. Now, I'm working on the creation of an Eclipse Cheat Sheet about Xtext.

To automate the things, I created an Action that opens the "New Xtext Project" wizard. After some research I ended with this code: https://gist.github.com/1088269

When I run the Action (through the Cheat Sheet) the wizard opens, but when I clicked the Finish button I got this error (http://cl.ly/2Q1X0r103E123T1z1E1I) and the following message in the log:
1    [Thread-1] ERROR org.eclipse.xtext.ui.wizard.XtextNewProjectWizard  - 
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
	at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.wizard.XtextNewProjectWizard$1.run(XtextNewProjectWizard.java:57)
	at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:121)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.ui.wizard.project.XtextProjectCreator.createProjectFactory(XtextProjectCreator.java:106)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.ui.wizard.project.XtextProjectCreator.createDslProject(XtextProjectCreator.java:143)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.ui.wizard.project.XtextProjectCreator.execute(XtextProjectCreator.java:90)
	at org.eclipse.ui.actions.WorkspaceModifyOperation$1.run(WorkspaceModifyOperation.java:106)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:1975)
	at org.eclipse.ui.actions.WorkspaceModifyOperation.run(WorkspaceModifyOperation.java:118)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.wizard.XtextNewProjectWizard.doFinish(XtextNewProjectWizard.java:82)
	at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.wizard.XtextNewProjectWizard$1.run(XtextNewProjectWizard.java:54)
	... 1 more

!ENTRY org.apache.log4j 4 0 2011-07-17 21:12:00.691
!MESSAGE org.eclipse.xtext.ui.wizard.XtextNewProjectWizard  - 

Am I missing something? Is there any Action provided by the Xtext plugins?

Thank you
Re: Creating an Action to Open the Xtext Project Wizard [message #697760 is a reply to message #697756] Mon, 18 July 2011 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mirko Raner is currently offline Mirko RanerFriend
Welcome to the wonderful world of Guice dependency injection Wink
As you may know, Xtext relies heavily on the Guice dependency injection framework. This means that most collaborators of a class will be procured via an @Inject annotation, which means that you cannot simply instantiate a class using a "new". In this case, you are missing the Provider for the PluginProjectFactory.
Now, in some cases you can try supplying the missing dependencies manually, but usually the dependencies themselves have other (Guice-injected) dependencies, and so you will end up with a large and unmanageable dependency tree.
A better strategy is to get the Guice Injector from your UI plug-in's activator and use getInstance(...) to create the object you need.
But the very best solution is to have the objects you need injected into your own code, for example, by providing the appropriate fields with an @Inject annotation. However, this will only work if your class itself is instantiated via Guice.

HTH,

Mirko
Re: Creating an Action to Open the Xtext Project Wizard [message #697929 is a reply to message #697760] Mon, 18 July 2011 11:41 Go to previous message
Reinaldo Junior is currently offline Reinaldo JuniorFriend

Mirko Raner wrote on Sun, 17 July 2011 21:46
A better strategy is to get the Guice Injector from your UI plug-in's activator and use getInstance(...) to create the object you need.

Have you any example or reference site I can look at?

I tried to replace (inside my current action's run() method)
NewXtextProjectWizard wizard = new NewXtextProjectWizard(new XtextProjectCreator());
with
NewXtextProjectWizard wizard = Activator.getDefault().getInjector().getInstance(NewXtextProjectWizard.class);

But I got another error.

!STACK 0
com.google.inject.ConfigurationException: Guice configuration errors:

1) No implementation for org.eclipse.xtext.ui.wizard.IProjectCreator was bound.
  while locating org.eclipse.xtext.ui.wizard.IProjectCreator
    for parameter 0 at org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.ui.wizard.project.NewXtextProjectWizard.<init>(NewXtextProjectWizard.java:41)
  while locating org.eclipse.xtext.xtext.ui.wizard.project.NewXtextProjectWizard

1 error
	at com.google.inject.InjectorImpl.getProvider(InjectorImpl.java:784)
	at com.google.inject.InjectorImpl.getProvider(InjectorImpl.java:743)
	at com.google.inject.InjectorImpl.getInstance(InjectorImpl.java:793)
	at org.eclipse.amalgam.tutorials.cheatsheets.xtext.actions.OpenXtextProjectWizard.run(OpenXtextProjectWizard.java:32)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.cheatsheets.ActionRunner.runAction(ActionRunner.java:86)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.cheatsheets.data.Action.execute(Action.java:100)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.cheatsheets.views.CoreItem.runExecutable(CoreItem.java:506)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.cheatsheets.views.CoreItem.runExecutable(CoreItem.java:501)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.cheatsheets.views.CheatSheetViewer.runPerformExecutable(CheatSheetViewer.java:1046)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.cheatsheets.views.CoreItem$1.linkActivated(CoreItem.java:89)
	at org.eclipse.ui.forms.widgets.AbstractHyperlink.handleActivate(AbstractHyperlink.java:233)
	at org.eclipse.ui.forms.widgets.ImageHyperlink.handleActivate(ImageHyperlink.java:199)
	at org.eclipse.ui.forms.widgets.AbstractHyperlink.handleMouseUp(AbstractHyperlink.java:327)
	at org.eclipse.ui.forms.widgets.AbstractHyperlink.access$2(AbstractHyperlink.java:311)
	at org.eclipse.ui.forms.widgets.AbstractHyperlink$4.handleEvent(AbstractHyperlink.java:125)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:3783)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1375)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1398)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1383)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Widget.java:1195)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3629)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3284)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2640)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2604)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2438)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:671)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:664)
	at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:115)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:369)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:620)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:575)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1408)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1384)

I tried to use
NewXtextProjectWizard wizard = Guice.createInjector(new XtextRuntimeModule()).getInstance(NewXtextProjectWizard.class);
but i got the same error.

Quote:
But the very best solution is to have the objects you need injected into your own code, for example, by providing the appropriate fields with an @Inject annotation. However, this will only work if your class itself is instantiated via Guice.

How could I make it? Should I create an ActionInvocation class and call
ActionInvocation actionInvocation = Activator.getDefault().getInjector().getInstance(ActionInvocation.class).invokeAction();

from my current action's run() method (and move it to the invokeAction() method)?
Previous Topic:Using results from language interpreter in JavaValidator
Next Topic:Generator POC fails on OSGi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:35:59 GMT 2024