Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Is it possible to have preset workbench layouts?(So that the user can select one at any time?)
icon5.gif  Is it possible to have preset workbench layouts? [message #696845] Thu, 14 July 2011 23:44 Go to next message
SBS  is currently offline SBS Friend
Is it possible to somehow store a set of predefined workbench layouts which the user could select at any time to layout the workbench according to one of those predefined layouts? We have different classes of users and each one would have their own preferred/default layout as well as a single user having more than one standard layout according to the nature of the work they are currently doing.

So I am thinking of a menu which lists the standard/predefined layouts and the user simply selects the one they want and voila the workbench is arranged the way they desire. Of course I can build the menu, it's just the storage and application of the predefined layouts that I have no idea about. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

-sbs
Re: Is it possible to have preset workbench layouts? [message #698060 is a reply to message #696845] Mon, 18 July 2011 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

A workbench layout focused around a particular task or set of tasks is called a Perspective in eclipse. See http://help.eclipse.org > Platform Plug-in Developer Guide for a description and on how to create/contribute them.

PW

Re: Is it possible to have preset workbench layouts? [message #698179 is a reply to message #698060] Mon, 18 July 2011 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SBS  is currently offline SBS Friend
I see what you mean but I already have 2 perspectives in the application. What I am referring to is similar to the way that you can configure Eclipse RCP to save and restore the workbench layout on exit. I want the user to be able to work with the existing perspectives and arrange/resize the views the way they like and then be able to save the layout so that they can get back to it whenever they like later. Each user may have a different number of saved layouts and we would like to provide some standard ones as well. I believe this goes beyond the perspectives metaphor, is it possible?

Thanks,

-sbs
Re: Is it possible to have preset workbench layouts? [message #698412 is a reply to message #698179] Tue, 19 July 2011 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

You can add org.eclipse.ui.actions.ActionFactory.SAVE_PERSPECTIVE and then users can save custom perspectives and go back to them at any time.

PW

Re: Is it possible to have preset workbench layouts? [message #720408 is a reply to message #698179] Tue, 30 August 2011 14:24 Go to previous message
Marco Lopes is currently offline Marco LopesFriend
SBS wrote on Mon, 18 July 2011 19:51
I see what you mean but I already have 2 perspectives in the application. What I am referring to is similar to the way that you can configure Eclipse RCP to save and restore the workbench layout on exit. I want the user to be able to work with the existing perspectives and arrange/resize the views the way they like and then be able to save the layout so that they can get back to it whenever they like later. Each user may have a different number of saved layouts and we would like to provide some standard ones as well. I believe this goes beyond the perspectives metaphor, is it possible?

Thanks,

-sbs

I believe what you want to achieve cannot be done without re-implementing all the workbench "save & restore". I found a site some time ago with that implementation (can't locate it, though).

It's a hard task!

I had the same request for one app, and it's a shame the eclipse core is not implemented in a way that we can SAVE and LOAD the active perspective or / and the whole workbench state, so it can be re-arranged on-the-fly.
Previous Topic:How to get all open views
Next Topic:taking control of the StatusLine
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:21:10 GMT 2024