Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » is -bundlepool used?(configure separate plugin directories)
is -bundlepool used? [message #694194] Fri, 08 July 2011 04:52
Marco Massenzio is currently offline Marco MassenzioFriend
In my current setup (Indigo, Linux 64bit, Ubuntu 10.10) I install Indigo in

/opt/eclipse-indigo

and want to have a separate profile/plugins/etc. for, say, Helios, or even different Eclipse platforms (I do plugin dev so I have the Platform SDK, that I'd like to keep separate from, say, a J2EE install).

My user config should be someplace like

/home/$USER/.eclipse/eclipse37
(and similarly .../eclipse36, .../eclipse37_jee etc.)

This _almost_ works, using -configuration, but I seem unable to have p2 download and install new plugins (using Install new software...) in separate directories -- no matter what I tried, they all wind up in

/home/$USER/.eclipse/plugins

I tried at first by just chown'ing /opt/eclipse-indigo to myself (not what I wanted, but as a trial, so I could read/write to the /opt/eclipse-indigo/plugins/ directory); also tried to use the -install flag and the -bundletool flag; no matter what nothing seems to work.

Manually editing bundles.info (and moving the plugins accordingly) does work, but it's manual, cumbersome and (I dread) only harbinger of misery and grief later on:
for example manually editing this:

com.android.ide.eclipse.ddms,12.0.0.v201106281929-138431,../../home/marco/.eclipse/plugins/com.android.ide.eclipse.ddms_12.0.0.v201106281929-138431.jar,4,false

to this:

com.android.ide.eclipse.ddms,12.0.0.v201106281929-138431,../../home/marco/.eclipse/eclipse37/plugins/com.android.ide.eclipse.ddms_12.0.0.v201106281929-138431.jar,4,false

[note the extra /eclipse37]
works just fine, but you can see where it can catastrophically go wrong.

So, here is my question: what would be the best way to make p2 install the plugin bundles in user-configurable directory?

FYI, this is the script I use to launch Eclipse:

MEM_ALLOC_POOL=2048M
PERM_SIZE=256M

# The location of the JVM, currently the default (OpenJDK 6)
JVM=/usr/local/java/bin/java

# User configuration, install directory and plugins location
CONFIG=/home/$USER/.eclipse/eclipse37
INSTALL=/opt/eclipse-indigo
# CLEAN=-clean

$INSTALL/eclipse $CLEAN -vm $JVM -configuration $CONFIG \
-bundlepool $CONFIG/plugins
-vmargs -Xmx$MEM_ALLOC_POOL -XX:MaxPermSize=$PERM_SIZE

Previous Topic:[FIXED] How to specify autostart for plugins installed via director
Next Topic:How to provide bundle updates on an update site
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 15:47:54 GMT 2024