Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Re-installing plugin with same name and version gives error.
icon4.gif  Re-installing plugin with same name and version gives error. [message #693441] Wed, 06 July 2011 13:35 Go to next message
Rj71436 Missing nameFriend
I am using eclipse helios sdk.
I have developed my plugin.

i installed the plugins in the eclipse.
I have made changes in the plugin and so need to update plugin but without changing the plugin version.
I have uninstalled plugins from the eclipse.
Then I tried to re-install them but Eclipse dont take the updated plugins.
So I deleted plugin jars from the plugin folder after uninstalling the plugins.

Then I tried to re-install them and during installation following error appeared..

""
An error occurred during the org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.CheckTrust phase.
session context was:(profile=SDKProfile, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.CheckTrust, operand=, action=).
Error reading signed content.
The file "D:\Development Eclipse\Testing Eclipse\eclipse-SDK-3.6-win32\eclipse\plugins\org.my.plugin_4.2.0.257_2.jar" does not exist""

If I am not wrong then this is the issue for eclipse that it doesn't delete the plugin jars from the plugins folder and when the plugin with same version is being installed then these jars are reused.

But I feel that this is not right.
Plugin jars also should be deleted.
Re: Re-installing plugin with same name and version gives error. [message #693465 is a reply to message #693441] Wed, 06 July 2011 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Skorsky is currently offline Martin SkorskyFriend
plug-ins with the same version should contain the same bytes.
The other way round: if the plug-in is updated, the version must increase.
Then it is no problem that the old one in the plugins folder is not deleted. p2 has it's own strategy when to delete older versions. Modifying the plugins folder by hand causes crashes in most cases.
Re: Re-installing plugin with same name and version gives error. [message #693475 is a reply to message #693465] Wed, 06 July 2011 14:28 Go to previous message
Rj71436 Missing nameFriend
Thank you very much Martin for reply.
But just for information I would like to know when the older versions are removed by the P2 framework.

As you mentioned that if any changes are made then the version should be increased, but if minor changes are done even then version has to be changed??

Can't be there any way to re-install same plugin without much complications??

I really appreciate your valuable time and efforts.

Thanks again..
Previous Topic:Sign plugin
Next Topic:Errors running builder 'Plug-in Manifest Builder' on project 'com.tcs.mcif.ui.rap'.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:13:51 GMT 2024