Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Task View Toolbar Missing(The Workbench Basics refers to buttons which seem to be missing-unless the help guide is outdated?)
Task View Toolbar Missing [message #693060] Tue, 05 July 2011 17:45 Go to next message
abbalehsavitt is currently offline abbalehsavittFriend
From the welcome menu, click Overview-> Workbench Basics->Workbench User Guide, there is a sentence in the Getting Started>Basic Tutorial>Tasks and Markers>Unassociated Tasks that reads: "In the Tasks view, click the New Task button index.php/fa/3250/0/ . A new task dialog appears." Aside from the fact that I believe the command should be Add Task, there is no such button in the Task View area. The same goes for the sort and delete buttons that are supposedly there. The picture of the Task View itself in the document shows no toolbar index.php/fa/3251/0/. Are the instructions out of date, do I need to reinstall eclipse, or is there something I'm missing? Note that this is not the Task List View for Mylyn, this is the Task View in the Resource Perspective. Thanks!!!

P.S. Bugs 212848 and 212847 discuss removal of the toolbar to reduce clutter. Can someone please confirm that this is true? If so, why does the help section still have the button there? Is there a way for me to contact the people who edit that help section?

[Updated on: Wed, 06 July 2011 03:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Task View Toolbar Missing [message #696072 is a reply to message #693060] Wed, 13 July 2011 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dani Megert is currently offline Dani MegertFriend
On 05.07.2011 19:46, forums-noreply@eclipse.org wrote:
> In the Workbench Basics tutorial, there is a sentence in the Getting Started>Basic Tutorial>Tasks and Markers>Unassociated Tasks that reads: "In the Tasks view, click the New Task button . A new task dialog appears." Aside from the fact that I believe the command should be Add Task, there is no such button in the Task View area.
Please see https://bugs.eclipse.org/212847 and
https://bugs.eclipse.org/212848. I've fixed the doc.

Dani
> The same goes for the sort and delete buttons that are supposedly there. The picture of the Task View itself in the document shows no toolbar . Are the instructions out of date, do I need to reinstall eclipse, or is there something I'm missing? Note that this is not the Task List View for Mylyn, this is the Task View in the Resource Perspective. Thanks!!!
Re: Task View Toolbar Missing [message #697769 is a reply to message #696072] Mon, 18 July 2011 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't quite understand the nature of your post but I understand that the buttons have been removed. I just checked both the help doc accessible from the eclipse welcome window and from the eclipse website and the button is still discussed under the Workbench User Guide>Getting Started>Basic Tutorial>Tasks and Markers>Unassociated Tasks, and would appreciate it being updated so that others would not be confused like I was.
Re: Task View Toolbar Missing [message #697849 is a reply to message #697769] Mon, 18 July 2011 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On 18.07.2011 03:31, forums-noreply@eclipse.org wrote:
> I don't quite understand the nature of your post but I understand that
> the buttons have been removed. I just checked both the help doc
> accessible from the eclipse welcome window and from the eclipse
> website and the button is still discussed under the Workbench User
> Guide>Getting Started>Basic Tutorial>Tasks and Markers>Unassociated
> Tasks, and would appreciate it being updated so that others would not
> be confused like I was.
That's the "I've fixed the doc." part of my message. ;-)

Dani
Re: Task View Toolbar Missing [message #700879 is a reply to message #697849] Sun, 24 July 2011 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhh! Well I'm sorry that part escaped me. I appreciate your reply. I really don't mean to be a bother, but I've just checked both the help file that is searchable on the web for Indigo as well as the in-program help link and it does not appear to have been changed. Am I doing something wrong? Again, I'm sure you have other valuable uses of your time, but if you could provide me with a link to the most updated help file I would be most grateful. Thanks for taking the time! Smile
Re: Task View Toolbar Missing [message #701635 is a reply to message #700879] Mon, 25 July 2011 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On 24.07.2011 08:37, abbalehsavitt wrote:
> Ahhh! Well I'm sorry that part escaped me. I appreciate your reply. I
> really don't mean to be a bother, but I've just checked both the help
> file that is searchable on the web for Indigo as well as the
> in-program help link and it does not appear to have been changed. Am I
> doing something wrong? Again, I'm sure you have other valuable uses of
> your time, but if you could provide me with a link to the most updated
> help file I would be most grateful.
The online help is for the stable release (3.7 and 4.1). You need to
download a 3.8 or 4.2 build to get the change, e.g.
http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/N20110724-2000/index.php.

Dani
> Thanks for taking the time! :)
Re: Task View Toolbar Missing [message #704763 is a reply to message #701635] Fri, 29 July 2011 03:40 Go to previous message
Thanks again!!!
Previous Topic:JVM terminated. Exit code=1
Next Topic:Missing Web Preferences
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:36:18 GMT 2024